Author Topic: Just a reminder to Cannes in her anti-American Michael Moore loving glee....  (Read 1530 times)

Offline stiehl

• Copper Member
What's the problem? He got a background check and received a gun. Commentary on America's "gun culture". When opening a bank account results in your receiving a firearm I would say that guns are a definate part of that culture. As long as the background check is made, sounds like a good deal, unless it's a crappy gun.

Offline strk

• Nickel Member
Originally posted by stiehl
What's the problem? He got a background check and received a gun. Commentary on America's "gun culture". When opening a bank account results in your receiving a firearm I would say that guns are a definate part of that culture. As long as the background check is made, sounds like a good deal, unless it's a crappy gun.

its an awesome deal.  I would do it

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Easy one first. Guns for Long Term Deposit.

It's just giving you a gun in lieu of interest money. You take out a CD for a certain amount/time that gives you the gun you want. (Usually varying denominations available that equate to a particular gun. For example, an 5 year $5000 deposit gets you a less expensive gun than a 5 year $10,000 deposit.) The bank holds the money but you get to use the gun because it's given to you "up front" after all required paperwork, waiting periods, background checks, etc. have been satified. It usually works out to about the same interest rate you'd get on a regular CD. Perhaps a tiny bit better because you're getting the "money" "up front".

As to Moore..... Either way, he's just full of it.

If it's as the Bank Lady described it, he's full of pure BS.

If it's a Moore describes it, it's just slight of hand BS.

Look, if the Bank WAS a licensed dealer....... then it "sells guns". That's what dealers and gun stores DO.

So, if he "paid" for the gun by buyng the required CD and he met and complied with all the required paperwork, waiting periods, background checks, etc. restrictions then....

All he really did was "buy" a gun from a "licensed dealer" after complying with Federal BATF regulations. Nothing a bit illegal, shady or dispicable in that. It's just a legitimate dealer that happens to be located in a bank.

He bought a gun from a "gun store" if his version is true. Yet it certainly isn't presented that way, now is it?

Oh no... it's not presented that way at all. It is, in fact presented as buying a gun and getting immediate delivery from a bank.

Many of his attackers have gone to the bank and gotten that side of the story. Seen any of his defenders go to the BATF and check to see if the bank held a dealer's license? Public information, easy to get if you call BATF.... yet no confirmation. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Before you ask:  
A list of federally licensed gun dealers in your county can be obtained by contacting the nearest BATF office and requesting the list from the Public Information Officer.
[/edit]

As for the Disney incident, read the link. He made it all up as a publicity stunt. He manufactured the entire thing out of think air...... just like he does with lots of stuff in his movies.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 01:20:08 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline strk

• Nickel Member
the ATF's Federal Firearms database—which includes all federally approved gun dealers—lists North Country Bank with Federal Firearms License #4-38-153-01-5C-39922

there it is.  can we look it up online?

I agree bank/gun dealer - he just bought a gun.  I think the point was how guns have pervaded our culture.  

Also - did you see the ad from the bank?

and the CDs - yeah I figured that out.  And it is a good deal.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Yeah, I saw the ad. I "bought" a Weatherby from the Bank of Boulder from a similar ad. Boulder was the first Bank to do it, as I recall.

Hey! I bet that has something to do with the Jon Benet Case!!!!!! Not.

Having seen the film, I don't think that's the point he was making.

Yes, he uses it to show guns have pervaded our culture; they have. Who would argue they haven't?

The impression I got from viewing this scene in the context of the the film was the he was trying to show how easy it is for ANYONE to get a gun, IE: no real controls on purchasing.

His use of this example to show that is BS.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline strk

• Nickel Member
Originally posted by Toad
Yeah, I saw the ad. I "bought" a Weatherby from the Bank of Boulder from a similar ad. Boulder was the first Bank to do it, as I recall.

Hey! I bet that has something to do with the Jon Benet Case!!!!!! Not.

Having seen the film, I don't think that's the point he was making.

Yes, he uses it to show guns have pervaded our culture; they have. Who would argue they haven't?

The impression I got from viewing this scene in the context of the the film was the he was trying to show how easy it is for ANYONE to get a gun, IE: no real controls on purchasing.

His use of this example to show that is BS.

if that were the case Id have to agree.  THere is also a kind of irony to getting a gun at a bank.

Im going to have to watch BFC now.