Author Topic: Why are you not all playing AHII beta?  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Why are you not all playing AHII beta?
« on: May 24, 2004, 09:07:14 AM »
Seems to me that if you can, ............. do...........if you can't then play AH1 or ask for help now. (or both :) )

If you dont "input" now then come the day you'll just be one of the whinning masses :p
Ludere Vincere

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 09:23:45 AM »
I would gladly do it....but my machine won't.

:(
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 09:30:15 AM »
brand new computer doesnt have the balls to handle the program

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 09:36:33 AM »
Like desalys said. I want to, my computer can't. I cannot afford nor justify a computer upgrade to play a game. So when AH as I know it is through so am I. Maybe I can find some other addiction.
Pillur

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 10:11:48 AM »
I think i see a trend developing. :eek:

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 10:15:47 AM »
AH2 runs like a champ on my secondary mediocre (Son's) computer. Asus XP1800+ with Geforce3 Ti200 128MB. I get about the same FPS as I do in AH1. On my primary rig I actually get better FPS than in AH1.

I'm thinking all those who complain about being unable to run AH2 fit into one of three categories.
  • Have not tried AH2 since build 25 or so when the code was heavilly improved.
  • Own a computer that is nearly 5 years old or have not learned how to make it perform well.
  • Just the kind of folks who resist any changes in general.

I'f you are the first you have no excuses, download the full game (don't do the incremental patches, they seem to take forever) and try it before you decide you can't run it. If it ran like crap in the original 20 builds, rest assured the game works better now.

If you are in the second, your old puter had a good run 5 years is all you should expect from a CPU or GPU anyhow. The world moves on and so should you. If you have anewer one and it does not seem to be performing right check out the AH2 forums here, there are many tips for configuring your system correctly.

If you are in the third, well...don't know what to tell you. You are probably wishing you still had DOS and the 16 color VGA graphics. I've got some old boxed games I could give you, since they are on floppys do you still have your 5.25 diskette drives?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 10:20:33 AM »
I have been in AH2 and enjoying it. I'm having trouble seeing bogies. The canopy glare, whilst realistic, makes it hard to see small images on a computer screen, and I'm still experimenting with video settings - slapshot & icer. The gunnery is different, and more difficult, but that's as it should be.

Edbert - LOL! :lol

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 11:11:01 AM »
Originally posted by Edbert MOL
AH2 runs like a champ on my secondary mediocre (Son's) computer. Asus XP1800+ with Geforce3 Ti200 128MB. I get about the same FPS as I do in AH1. On my primary rig I actually get better FPS than in AH1.

I'm thinking all those who complain about being unable to run AH2 fit into one of three categories.
  • Own a computer that is nearly 5 years old or have not learned how to make it perform well.

I'f you are the first you have no excuses, download the full game (don't do the incremental patches, they seem to take forever) and try it before you decide you can't run it. If it ran like crap in the original 20 builds, rest assured the game works better now.

If you are in the second, your old puter had a good run 5 years is all you should expect from a CPU or GPU anyhow. The world moves on and so should you. If you have anewer one and it does not seem to be performing right check out the AH2 forums here, there are many tips for configuring your system correctly.

If you are in the third, well...don't know what to tell you. You are probably wishing you still had DOS and the 16 color VGA graphics. I've got some old boxed games I could give you, since they are on floppys do you still have your 5.25 diskette drives? [/B]

You forgot a 4th: have a RL and decided to put the family priorities ahead of theirs... not having thought about this one speaks volume about you, Edbert...

My crappy system is the following: PIII 866, ASUS CUS L2C, 512 MB RAM, GeForce II MX, DirectX 8.1b, Win 98 SE. AH1 runs flawlessly on it because I set it up very carefully. I run Win 2K as second boot up choice for work, and I've installed Direct X 9b on this setup. I was then forced to download new drivers for the vid card and I noticed a real drop in performance in the games (agreed, Win2K isn't ideal for gaming, but I was using it as a test bench).
This is why I don't want to install directx 9b on my AH steup right now. As soon as AH1 is canned, I'll do it and I'll see what happens. If the vid card isn't enough (probably so), maybe I'll buy another one before my planned upgrade in october. Pity is, I can't immediately buy an ATI 9600 XT because it doesn't run with a PIII, according to the specs. Or maybe I'll just wait...It all depends with the intensity of the deprivation ;).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 11:29:01 AM by deSelys »
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 11:19:18 AM »
Almost every day a new beta version is rolled out to test. Every day the AHII Bug Report forum is full of new and interesting finds (read it, its hilarious!).

Once things settle down a bit and the program smooths out, I might give it a try. I'm hoping that when the time comes my system will run it. However, Aces High is fine the way it is. I don't need the "eye candy" to have fun.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 11:26:23 AM »
Sorry Edbert, but your 3 choices are a little limited. I'm not running 5 year-old components and am certainly not resistant to change. The current beta is still beta. There are some legitimate playablity problems for more than just a handful of people.

There are so many changes about to be made in PC components over the next six months that buying almost anything now may limit our ability to upgrade. The AGP slot is going away, the ATX case form is being changed, the RAM specs will be changing and the power requirements are changing so rapidly that we may need small nuclear power stations in our backyards by the end of the year.

I think people want to be playing it online and getting used to the changes.

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 11:34:57 AM »
Originally posted by Edbert MOL

B]

Don't prtend to have all the f**king answers. Many of us don't fit into any of your "group of three". I have Beta 35. My computer is 2 years old, and other than playing THIS gane works like a champ.
I also happen to think that change is good/bad but inevitable. Just because some computers won't handle the stress of AHII and some of us can't even throw $50 more at our machines (especially to play a game) don't start with the catagorizing crap.
I also run Photoshop CS and other graphic and speed dependant programs with NO problem.
Pillur (with an attitude)

Offline 1K0N

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 11:42:24 AM »
CTD's prohibit playing the new version for me.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 11:43:54 AM »
IT would be nice if HTC could work a promo deal for discounts with a PC supplier for all the guys that need to upgrade.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 12:13:14 PM »
In one of the umpteenth updates I developed a prob and AHII will no longer execute. I am going to have to redownload the whole smeer and the way it sets now with the numerous updates I would never catchup. No DSL or cable available here.
  I`m waiting till the movie comes out. :D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 03:54:35 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
In one of the umpteenth updates I developed a prob and AHII will no longer execute. I am going to have to redownload the whole smeer and the way it sets now with the numerous updates I would never catchup. No DSL or cable available here.
  I`m waiting till the movie comes out. :D

LOL Jackal:
P.S. when the final comes out..im told that HTC will have a disc.