Author Topic: Please return open channel  (Read 12543 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Please return open channel
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2004, 05:35:51 PM »
glad its gone
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2004, 05:40:15 PM »
Awww.  My "squelch channel 1" joystick macro is obsolete.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2004, 05:42:58 PM »
Pyro,  I mixed 2 separate issues in my previous post.  My point number 2 referred to the fact that with large arenas, you are listening to comments from planes (friendly or enemy) which may be 100s of miles away, thus less relevant.  You still have to parse all these messages, but usually can't do much to affect the situations being reported, as they are too far away.  If there was a 50-mile radius limit (or some such number) you could be sure that anything you heard was nearby, thus more relevant.  Also, the radius limit would tend to keep things in the buffer longer.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2004, 05:53:17 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro
The thing is, chatter won't stop, it'll just be redistributed into the country channel which is a good thing IMO.  I've watched the changes in channel 1 over time as arena numbers have grown and I definitely think its time has long passed.

Well thought out Pyro. This way we will communicate with fellow countrymen a lot more. This is a good thing.
This way..if an NME want's to communicate with us, or us them..wether to Argue or Say "Hey nice fight..or a simple and so on, the only ones effected, are the ones directly involved. While this makes it less conveneint...it will cause all of us to really mean what we say. The simple act of taking time to tune Private...will indicate a more detailed thought process before we speak/type. This is much better than being able to Blurt things out in a flash. And start the Snowball effect.
WTG HT. :aok

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2004, 06:07:44 PM »
Only real annoyance I see with killing channel 1 is what to do when HT, Pyro, Skuzzy come into the arena in blue text.  We won't see what folks in other countries ask, and it could be a similar question.  'course they could always turn on 1 and then turn it back off for that I guess.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2004, 06:10:40 PM »
pyro do you not agree with what i said in my post though? sure AHI needs it NOW, but, AHII doesnt. right now a good ammount of chatter is about what AHII is like, and right now you cant do it in game, unless you PM other guys......
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2004, 06:33:29 PM »
actually all you need to do to make Q&A sessions viable is make any private text sent to blue hatted HTC dweebs show up on channel 1 for everyone to see.

so you have to pvt msg them to have the question show up for everyone to see.

thats my 2 cents opinion
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2004, 09:08:56 PM »
Ch1 Was fun to talk on. I enjoyed the "open" interation between players; ALL players.

I think that because the actions of a few, many have to be affected, and thats just unfair.

I was in there flying. I was in a fight with a spit. Whom happened to be Nopoop. Nopoop got cherry picked while fighting with me. I went to salute him on Ch1 and there was no Ch1. I went to type his name in the text bar to type in private to him, it was more of a pain in the neck than anything.

Thats my 2cent whine. I just dont think there is any reason for this.

If HiTech wants to punish people why doesnt he perma mute those who can't control their fingers or their own heads?

Im sorry this whole thing just bothers me for some reason.

im done.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2004, 09:11:32 PM »
Originally posted by Rolex
Hitech turned it off?

It could be the finest upgrade in the history of the game.

Yep!

Offline FBRaptor

• Copper Member
      • http://www.freebirdshome.us
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2004, 10:16:17 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
I don't operate by polls guttboy.

HiTech

Then please tell us what you do operate by?

This may seem like a smartass response however no more than the response it is responding too. :confused:
I think gutboy was just trying to help with a situation that is going to change the "community" of the game. I too would like to know "is there anything that anyone can do to get you to look at other alternatives"? Maybe you already are, I dont know.

I would think that if you could find a happy medium to keep everyone happy, wouldnt that be a great thing?

Surely one extreme or another is not the only two choices to programmers with such obvious talent as we can see by the work in AH2.

Most of us are too busy flying (or dying) to type someones name into a radio to just say "Nice kill" <>.

Ther must be some other way than to punish the hundreds of players who like the "option" of ch 1.

Please hear us and help us stay satisfied.

FBRaptor

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2004, 10:33:01 PM »
Well seems to me we've tried it the old way for 4 + years now.

Time for a change to my way of thinking.

Like a lot of the other changes it will take some getting used to. But it freed up a text channel for pm's  :)

If you have something good to say, take the time to PM the guy & say it.

If not, just don't say it.

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2004, 10:36:32 PM »
From what I see he HT has given an option and kinda found a somewhat happy medium.

No channel 1.

Pro's:

No instant Trash talk going on the instant one logs in to play.

Noobs learning the game who dont yet know how to squelch or use the radio buffer interface will not have to filter all the trash talk going on.

Cons:

Folks that want to chat to all countries will have to decide on a channel and use it.

I dont see HT taking the ability to talk to all countries away. He's just saying go pick a channel you want to use and use it. I may not always be in the beta arena all the time but of those times I have been on he has been there. So in all honesty I can say HT didnt make any kind of rash decision and he did what needed to be done because he saw first hand how some folks tend to act. I think its unfortunate that the cool people have to suffer because of a few bad apples but at the same time the same cool people will accept HT's decision and restructure the chat interfaces they use on a day to day basis as needed.

Everything will work out in the wash. Just give it some time.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2004, 10:41:31 PM »
Raptor I hear what you're saying...there are those who use Ch 1 simply to say "nice fite" or to salute someone who just landed X-teen kills. Such has been the case in AH2 for some time. Lately though, as newbies and AH1 folks have drifted over, Ch 1 has, at times, become the same cesspool of slap talk, cheat accusations, stick-stirring crapola, etc as Ch 1 in the AH1 MA. Now & again when I do fly in AH1 MA, more often than not there's a political discourse going on...which frankly, I couldn;t give a rat's bellybutton about.

If all country channel were turned off forever I'd say, "Right on!"

my 2 cents...
DmdMax

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2004, 10:54:04 PM »
I don't operate by polls guttboy.

HiTech

HiTech....never stated that you did operate by polls whatsoever....just curious as to what the majority of individuals thought.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2004, 10:56:57 PM »
Well....Since Channel 1 is now permanently disabled....or so it seems....

I will be using channel 200 when I tune into the arena...if it gets bad then Ill turn it off...just as I did with channel 1.

I dont see a difference here....aside from the fact that there is no "OPEN CHANNEL".  If folks want to talk on an open freq then I guess 200 it is.

Am I missing something?????:confused: