Author Topic: Please return open channel  (Read 12547 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Please return open channel
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2004, 08:11:29 AM »
"People play online games to interact with other people. Fight, compliment, brag, lie, argue - TALK. Thats online gaming..."

Tweeybird IMO HiTech didn't kill that in the least. People can and always will be able to fight, compete, compliment, salute, mock and otherwise have fun.  That is exactly what logging online into a game is for.
  AIM, YahooMSGR and the game forums are meant for the idle chit-chat, chest thumping, lying and argument stuff.

With channel one out of the way AH would simply be removing the current 4th grade recess atmosphere in the MA.  (for clarification of what I mean see either of BGBMAW's posts above or visit the OT to see the political "debates" whihc constantly spills into the MA).

Unless of course that is exactly what appeals to you when you look to play online games in which case can I have your joystick?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 08:18:37 AM by Westy »

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2004, 08:14:55 AM »
WTG HT waited a long time for this.:)
Joc

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2004, 08:44:10 AM »
Originally posted by LLv34_Snefens
How about some middle ground here.
Let channel 1 come back, but let it work like the 100-299 range channels:

It would still be following the "forced to select, not deselct" since if you haven't tuned into it, you don't hear it, but it would be an intuitive choice and best of all, in different color.

If channel 200 is to be the norm and I want to follow it, I'll have 2 yellow text channels.
Something that will be quite an annoyance to me.

I said that in a post above you.  It makes the most sense!  Let's use this as a motto :)

"Select Don't Deselect"

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2004, 08:56:48 AM »
lol BGB
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2004, 08:57:40 AM »
My feeling is the Chan 1 whiners are silly. "Whine whine I dont like whats being said on Chan 1."

Well thats just a damn shame isnt it.
 If your being that much bothered by whats being said on chan 1 then your probably spending far too much time watching the text buffer and not enough time in paying attention to whats going on around you.

Personally having Chan1 doesnt bother me one way or the other as I only barely pay attention to the text buffer anyway reguardless of channel.
If I had my druthers I'd like to have a way to turn the text buffer off entirely as I cant find a position for it that doesnt interfere with either my view of the surroundings or my guages.
 LOL half the time I miss what squad calls are being typed out when Vox is being erratic.

But I think there should be a chan 1. It is nice to be able to Salute and be saluted publically for a well fought fight.
Or to let someone know they are warping all over the place.
Or a host of other reasons which include arguing.

A bigger problem for me is the Vox. Not the cussing but people holding general conversations in the middle of a battle and not being able to get a word in edgewise.
An example is the  other night I spotted a several goons headed to a feild under heavy attack and no matter how hard I tried I couldnt get the word out cause two clowns who obviously hadnt seen each other in a while were hogging up the range channel with lengthy a conversation on how each other and each others family was. End result is the goons were finally noticed by someone but it was already too late.
 Now that was far more frustrating and annoying then anything I've seen on channel 1.

I say let the people talk if they want to. Make Channel 1 so you can change it and if you dont want to read whats being typed on Channel 1.. Change it.
Then you dont have to read it and everyone else knows where it is if they want it.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2004, 10:02:38 AM »
Originally posted by Wolf14
From what I see he HT has given an option and kinda found a somewhat happy medium.

No channel 1.

Pro's:

No instant Trash talk going on the instant one logs in to play.

Noobs learning the game who dont yet know how to squelch or use the radio buffer interface will not have to filter all the trash talk going on.

Cons:

Folks that want to chat to all countries will have to decide on a channel and use it.

I dont see HT taking the ability to talk to all countries away. He's just saying go pick a channel you want to use and use it. I may not always be in the beta arena all the time but of those times I have been on he has been there. So in all honesty I can say HT didnt make any kind of rash decision and he did what needed to be done because he saw first hand how some folks tend to act. I think its unfortunate that the cool people have to suffer because of a few bad apples but at the same time the same cool people will accept HT's decision and restructure the chat interfaces they use on a day to day basis as needed.

Everything will work out in the wash. Just give it some time.

Well put Wolf. It simply means that the shoe will be on the other foot. Before we had to go through the act od typing (.squelch 1) Now the the guys that like Ch1 and all that goes with it, will have to take the time to type in a channel they can talk acroos the country boundries.
Therefore one would have to asume. That some guys are bothered that they have to now select a channel by the act of typing it in. But it didnt bother them a bit when others had to de-select ch1.
Yep..its time for the Ch1 lovers to be annoyed with the task of selecting a channel where they can "Salute" :rolleyes: each other on. rofl. Apperently they havent been watching the same ch1 for the last 6 months that the rest of us have. Im sure i have piles and piles of film of those "" exchanges. Or could it be i have mountians of film of the oppisite behavior? Im bettin the latter is more likely.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 10:14:33 AM by Mugzeee »

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2004, 10:04:57 AM »
I will certainly miss having ch 1.  I have friends in all three countries from my former AW days as well as since coming to AH and I always enjoy saying Hi to them all as I log on.  In many cases, it is the only way I have kept in touch with a lot of AW friends, and I will miss it a great deal..... :(
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2004, 10:59:40 AM »
Wow .. no more smack talk, ethnic, politcal, world events, or world history debates on Ch 1 ... I am bummed !!!! ... NOT !!!

How about ...

Ch 200 for <> and attaboys and FRIENDLY conversations

Ch 201 for smack talk ... :rolleyes:

Ch 202 for ethnic debates ... :rolleyes:

Ch 203 for political debates ... :rolleyes:

Ch 204 for world events debates ... :rolleyes:

Ch 205 for world history debates ... :rolleyes:

You know .. like tuning a TV ... switch to what you like !!!

Slapshot 200: Help Morph u copy ?
Morpheus 200: cc
Slapshot 200: tune to 201 !

SlapShot 201: Morph ... ur nothing but a no-good HO N1K driven DWEEB !!!

j/k Morph ... ya know I love ya.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2004, 11:07:43 AM »
Not a bad idea Slapshot. Trouble is, most squaddies will have rad 5 tuned to squad ch. If ch 1 is permasquelched, how bout a 2nd tunable frequency? Eh Kenneth?

DmdMax

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2004, 11:15:06 AM »
Originally posted by DMax
Not a bad idea Slapshot. Trouble is, most squaddies will have rad 5 tuned to squad ch. If ch 1 is permasquelched, how bout a 2nd tunable frequency? Eh Kenneth?

DmdMax

The channel that you have "all" tuned to would be replaced with the appropriate channel number ... simple ... yes ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2004, 12:03:11 PM »
Originally posted by BGBMAW
No channel one reminds me of the Linguine Spinned Liberals in this country..

whaaaaaaaaa ..its mean..

oMG that sis so frikn gay...I hav emeet many ftrs from the other countyr which i like...and have a great tiem fiting with...moprhues..STFU.......S lowhand..and the rest..now i cant call them out to get a beating soemwhere...

Really is amazing if it was cut off becosue of trash talk...What the hell are we ghere for..Fiting and talking....

Might as well be a box game next...

Anyone who gets riled up about channel one is..Linguine spinned..grow a pair..

Or liek I said before...Dont be Like a rook in a gay bar...STOP GRABN SO HARD...the figths are nto at 20+k

AND ..dammit man!!..its a BETA..hard enuff to find figths already...I guess ..getting back bug reports is getting not as important?...I cant beleive tht

anyways..see u on 200

Love
BiGB
xoxo

Prime example as to why CH1 needed and is Squelched.
btw.. Id think most Liberals would want CH1 intact...not squelched. Dont be so lazy... Bring up text buffer and type 200 or 201 or whatever in one of the little Channel window's. After all most of us have been going thru the task of squelching Ch1. Its your turn to go the extra mile.
Im willing to bet that those tuned to an "Open Channel" at anytime round the clock, would be less than 15% of the total logged into the MA at any given time.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2004, 12:03:32 PM »
I get it NOW! :D

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2004, 12:10:43 PM »
Originally posted by TweetyBird
Its your nickle - go for it - but I think it will cost you business.

I think the opposite is true.  We may lose some customers over it but that doesn't mean it'll cost us business.  You're only looking at one part of the equation.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2004, 12:19:20 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro
I think the opposite is true.  We may lose some customers over it but that doesn't mean it'll cost us business.  You're only looking at one part of the equation.

Again.. well thought out! WTG. I just came from MA in AH2.
13 Bish
11 Nits
14 Rooks
I went to each country and type this question twice per counrty. "Is anyone tuned to 200 or an open channel?"
Results are as follows.
0 Bish
0 Nits
0 Rooks
Seems to indicate a certian something about (Open Channel squelch opinion).:aok
And No, i dont think a poll should decide nor do i expect HT to work on poll's. However this is the result i expected to get.  The oppisite is true.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 12:34:09 PM by Mugzeee »

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2004, 12:51:04 PM »
Guys you are missing the point on the POLL thing....

I was just curious as to how many folks like the use of channel 1 as the open channel.....my god!

I will be tuning 200 to give and talk to individuals from other countries.:)