Author Topic: Nobody can tell me...  (Read 6866 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2004, 12:23:53 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
Even the weak and infirm are worthy of freedom.

Yeah, Steve, yer right.

But if their strong and healthy countrymen don't want to fight to get it for them, why should the sons of American mothers do it for them?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2004, 12:26:09 AM »
Hey! I nevar pritinted ta bee smert!
-SW

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2004, 12:28:44 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
"Alive in 75" was for Scholz. Refers to this:

Again, here's my reason for such a negative view:

See the problem yet? We didn't do ship about any weapons that may have been in Iraq. They may just be in Syria right now which, IMO, is worse.

But we lost 800+ kids doing it.

Toad, what exactly are you saying? Are you saying attack Syria or are you saying sit back and do nothing about suspected threats? By even suggesting Syria has Iraq's WMD, you are admitting Iraq was a percieved threat.  

Are you for a war against Syria Toad?

We did the only logical thing in Iraq and time will tell regarding Syria.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2004, 12:36:23 AM »
Nuke,

If the Iraqis had WMD, we sure didn't remove them did we? Wasn't that the object of the exercise? How is that "mission accomplished"?

IF the Iraqi WMD are in Syria, that situation is worse than when they were in Iraq under SH.

Syria does have direct ties to Islamic terrorists. Proven, direct ties. Home of Hezbollah and all that.

So you tell me.

If they were such a serious threat in Iraq, what should we do now that they're in Syria?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2004, 12:37:18 AM »
Sometimes it an be difficult to argue with a pre-1965 smart arse, but I'm sticking to logic.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2004, 12:38:01 AM »
I'm not saying they should, at least  not without  the local "fighters" standing shoulder to shoulder.  Problem there could be that in Iraq, how do you tell friend form foe that is not in a U.S. or coalition uniform?

The fact is that this area of the world is, among many things,  unstable and therefore a ripe breeding ground for terrorists.  I doubt even that whacko Gsholz would argue that Hussein was violently oppressing his own people with rape, murder and torture.

To argue tha there were more serious threats to the U.S. is just plain foolish. Example:
Terrorsits were/are our most immediate threat and NK is not breeding terrorists to the degree that the middle East is.  

Some argue that we are creating terrorists by having a military presence in Iraq.  I bet that is true.  I ask, how can one reasonable expect every single person to be happy about any given scenario, even utopia?  There will always be malcontents who blame their lot in life on someone else.

So, why not topple the Iraqi regime and at the same time try to bring some stability into the area which is the biggest threat to the world?  Sure it's risky, but think of the upside.

The possibility to bring some stability to the area and a strong ally against the inhumane govts in the Middle East should be ample reason to take the risks the coalition did.*

Few of the naysayers are considering that we, in spite of their doomsaying, may just be successful in  Iraq.  What then?  What will Gsholz and his unhinged cronies say then?  Will they say "well done!"  No, like the malcontents in Iraq, they will continue to rail against the U.S. and her allies.

I say let them scream their indignance, while the bulk of Iraqi's bask in the warnth of freddom that you and I greet each day as a given.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2004, 12:39:23 AM »
Not unless they are willing to die for it.

That's now what some very wise men said over 200 years ago.
They did not qualify this right to freedom. I'll side with their opinion, not that of a radical whacko like you.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2004, 12:39:26 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Nuke,

If the Iraqis had WMD, we sure didn't remove them did we? Wasn't that the object of the exercise? How is that "mission accomplished"?

IF the Iraqi WMD are in Syria, that situation is worse than when they were in Iraq under SH.

Syria does have direct ties to Islamic terrorists. Proven, direct ties. Home of Hezbollah and all that.

So you tell me.

If they were such a serious threat in Iraq, what should we do now that they're in Syria?

Okay, you say "WMD" may be in Syria? That Implies that "they" where in Iraq...right?

You are against the war in Iraq , yet think Iraq's WMD may be in Syria?

So what is you solution?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2004, 12:39:48 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
To argue tha there were more serious threats to the U.S. is just plain foolish. Example:
Terrorsits were/are our most immediate threat and NK is not breeding terrorists to the degree that the middle East is.  

Ahem... Saudi Arabia.
sand

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2004, 12:40:09 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
That begs the question: Why?

Well I suppose we coulda contained him. Like north Korea.

That has worked out rather well dontcha think?
LOL

Far as Im concerned WMD or no WMD Iraq was the next logical step in the war on terror. And at some point we had to deal with the Iraq issue sooner or later anyway.

I mean lets face it. I dont think anyone had more of a reason to support an attack on us more then Saddam. And I certainly would not have put it past him to send an attack on us. Actually I saw it as only a matter of when not if.
Waiting just doesnt to me seem prudent.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2004, 12:40:36 AM »
Does this man look strong?

yes, a man if iron willed principles.  Strong indeed.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2004, 12:41:23 AM »
Mission Accomplished in Iraq. Tell me otherwise.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2004, 12:42:06 AM »
Maybe I'm just pre-65 smart.

Ever think of that?

(Oops. Guess that remark makes me a smart-arse! ;) )

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2004, 12:43:10 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Far as Im concerned WMD or no WMD Iraq was the next logical step in the war on terror. And at some point we had to deal with the Iraq issue sooner or later anyway.

Logic? Okay... you're entitled to your opinion. Some of us have trouble with your logic though.

I mean lets face it. I dont think anyone had more of a reason to support an attack on us more then Saddam.

How about the people that actually performed the attack?
sand

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2004, 12:43:20 AM »
Ahem... Saudi Arabia.

Sandman, if one were extremely myopic, whether by lack of wisdom or a matter of convenience to espouse their politically canted view of things, this would seem clever indeed.

However, Saudi Arabia is not training terrosits nor supplying them(as far as we know to date) w/ comfort, arms, and training as we know Iraq was doing.

Iraq was, directly in some cases, indirectly in others.

Additionally, Saudi Arabia is in the Middle East, is it not?
Did I not argue that since the threat is in the Middle East this is where we should be?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 12:46:30 AM by Steve »