Author Topic: Nobody can tell me...  (Read 6863 times)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Nobody can tell me...
« on: June 09, 2004, 11:15:15 PM »
What the worst part of the Iraq war has been.

Can anyone list what has been detrimental to either thier country, the world,  Iraq or Iraqis?

What makes you guys so angry over the war in Iraq? Can you list some reasons?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 11:24:00 PM »
Sure.

For myself, it boils down to this:

It was GW that actually issued the order to send in US troops.

He was the commander, he made the final decision. He is accountable.

I didn't say he lied, I didn't say he misled anyone.

However, many of us here were in the military. If someone screws up a decision, that someone is taken to task.

He made the decision to spend American lives to get those WMD. 850+ have died and no sign of any WMD.

It's possilbe the WMD were in Iraq and were moved to Syria, so two things:

1. With the world's best military, he failed to stop the WMD from getting out of Iraq. IE: shoulda hit them ASAP.

2. If the WMD ARE in Syria, aren't they just as large, if not a larger threat, than they were in Iraq? Cripes, the Syrians are swapping spit with all the major Palestinian terrorist groups. So, if we knew they were in Syria, why didn't we turn left and go get them when we had the troops/equipment there? Are they suddenly not a threat in Syria?

I can't let this go, sorry. His decision led directly to the deaths of 850 of our finest. HIS decision.

That's why I'm not voting for him. That's what I see as "detrimental to my country".

I'm guessing though you'll get a lot of answers that basically boil down to "there's nothing worth dying for". I don't hold with that opinion; I think John Stuart Mill had it right about those guys.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 11:26:12 PM »
I can give you 827 reasons.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 11:28:29 PM »
Toad I see where you are coming from, but what was the alternative?

I mostly was aiming my post at anti-American people with blinders on.

Here is my truthfull opinion: The war had to be done, no way around it. Maybe we could have put more troops in, but so far it has been a sucess and it will prove to be good for the US and Iraq.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 11:30:51 PM »
And Toad, the fact that no one knew what Iraq actually had as far as WMD, coupled with the fact that we could never know, as long as Saddam was in charge, was good enough reason for me.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 11:34:11 PM »
Well, Nuke, we disagree.

We invaded a sovereign country and to date have not found any evidence supporting our reason for doing so. Maybe it is in Syria; see above for what I think of that.

Not good enough for me, sorry.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 11:34:40 PM »
Here's the biggest reason Iraq was a mistake.

He's still out there... planning the next wave...
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 11:35:55 PM »
His time will come too.

He's had a few "near misses" with eternity already.

This goal is totally justified.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 11:36:59 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
That begs the question: Why?

Because Iraq did not comply with it's cease-fire agreements and refused to cooperate and account for it's WMD. It was Saddam's war to prevent, and he had all the time and power to prevent it but chose not to. Saddam chose to let the world guess about weather or not he was complying.

Now Iraq will be free and nobody can tell me Iraq is worse off without him.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 11:39:52 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Well, Nuke, we disagree.

We invaded a sovereign country and to date have not found any evidence supporting our reason for doing so. Maybe it is in Syria; see above for what I think of that.

Not good enough for me, sorry.

Toad, I rest my sole judgement on this matter based on the fact that the whole world assumed Iraq had WMD and that as long as Saddam was in charge and refused to cooperate, it was anyone's guess as to weather or not he had them. A risk I don't want to take considereding his past.

Saddam could have easily dispelled all doubts, but refused.

I say good call.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 11:42:39 PM »
Nobody can tell you, because you've already made up your mind.
-SW

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 11:42:47 PM »
Nuke, the lesson I took from VietNam was that you can't "make other people free". They have to want it bad enough to die for it themselves.

Yeah, we're going to "make them free". For a while; maybe even a decade or so. But it's a coin toss whether or not they stay that way.

Personally, I don't think it was worth one US soldier's life to "make them free". If they were really that miserable, they'd have killed the bassich themselves somehow.

Told ya I was in a cranky mood tonight.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 11:44:32 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Iraq had no cease-fire agreement with the US. Iraq stated they had destroyed the WMD. Iraq cooperated with the UN inspection teams before they were ordered out by the US.

I wonder who first ordered the inspectors out of Iraq? I wonder what country made Iraq take the inspectors back?

LOL!

The only reason Iraq allowes inspectors back was the US military threat, and even then Iraq played games and didn't comply.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 11:46:38 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Nuke, the lesson I took from VietNam was that you can't "make other people free". They have to want it bad enough to die for it themselves.

Yeah, we're going to "make them free". For a while; maybe even a decade or so. But it's a coin toss whether or not they stay that way.

Personally, I don't think it was worth one US soldier's life to "make them free". If they were really that miserable, they'd have killed the bassich themselves somehow.

Told ya I was in a cranky mood tonight.

Toad, the goal was not to make Iraqi's free and I never said I thought that should be the goal. The goal was to ensure that they didn't have WMD, which almost everyone assumed they had....due to Saddam's games. I say it was a good call to make sure.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Nobody can tell me...
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 11:50:02 PM »
There are several nations in the region that are a more real and severe threat, leave them be while we attack Iraq why?
-SW