Author Topic: Gimme a Break  (Read 1624 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Gimme a Break
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2004, 05:10:48 AM »
I agree with widewing. The hardware requirements discussion was going on MONTHS before the planned AH2 deployment date, which was Q3 last year. Skuzzy made clear what would be needed. I remember his post in which he said the video card was going to be more crucial than any other components. I built my new system last Oct. - and would have built it sooner, but for moving house last summer. A lot of the guys in H/S helped me choose my mobo, CPU and vid card. AH2 works fine - 65-75fps which is adequate.

Boxed systems are bad news for gamers. They're likely to be end of product line or done down to a price. Right away you know you're going to have to throw out the video card. Far better to build your own - and you can learn how from guys on this BBS.

I whined when my P2-266 was 18 months old and was no good for WB2.6, but had to learn to accept the fact that complex games place great demands on the hardware. (would have been nice if iEN had told us though)

Anyway, sorry about how that other thread turned out - no offence intended.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Gimme a Break
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2004, 06:50:15 AM »
Celeron sucks for gaming, period. Actually... Celeron sucks, period.

and unbelievable fuel consumption rates that make it very unlikely you'll land.

When are people gonna learn to read up on new releases? liek 95% of the people who play AH2 still haven't learned that there is a new thing called "engine mannagement". Throttle back, lower the RPM some and see the range and flight time increase. I can usually get a range of more than 200 miles in a normal short range fighter such as the 109, no DT. That is 8 sectors. If you can't RTB from a 2 sector flight you do something wrong, specially if you have DT since the DT alone, even on full power will let you fly more then 2 sectors in almost every plane.

Sure there are bugs in AH2, all games and programs have them, give it some time, you should have seen what original AH was like in the beginning.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Gimme a Break
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2004, 07:16:04 AM »
When are people gonna learn to read up on new releases?

Like I said, they confuse matter of taste with matter of the game. According to some of the most infuriated responses concerning AH2, what they personally hate is to be defined as a "bug", a "unfinished game", and a "terrible product".

They hate the new gunnery, they hate the new flight model, hate the new icon system, hate the new fuel consumption, and hate everything new AH2 has brought.

Tough luck.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
Gimme a Break
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2004, 07:28:27 AM »
Adjusting your video settings, ground clutter and such like are some of the simpler things one can do to help the game run smoother.  It's running without a hitch on my computer...well actually it's my son's, but that's another story.

Some of the old hats can give you some good pointers about how to adjust settings to get the game to run smoother.  Ask and listen politely.  There's no need to get offensive like the guy who called me a perverted summa-ma-beach the other night when I suggested that he diddle with his gamma.

What was up widdat?

Regards, Shuckins/Leggern

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Gimme a Break
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2004, 08:36:53 AM »
Most video cards aren't the issue I believe.

I've seen alot of folks run out and buy the latest greatest video card on the market. Take the ATIXT800, or the last NVidea card. Even the ATI 9800 range cards.

Well the only problem with these cards, is software developed will never use the full potential of what these cards will do.(well maybe in a few years) Yeah you can be the first kid on the block to have one, but you don't need it. By the time the game devolpers start programming to use the full capacity of that card - there will be newer ones out there. I think the only software that might "show-off" the cards capabilities are the "demos" included...lol

If you're going to upgrade, upgrade your processor / mobo/memory.....hell, even get a new monitor.
My monitor tops out at 60FPS at 1200x1600. Thats whats holding me back FR wise. I run Vsync on, 16x antialias, 2x  anistropic.

I'm running an ATI9500 on and XP64 3200 - I get steady 40-60 Framerates at 1200x1600. when in air always 50-60.
BTW Film runs at 25-32 FPS.

I though about getting a new vid card, but I'll probably be looking at a new monitor...BTW - anyone know a good monitor that gets high refresh rates at high resolutions?

Just my 2cents