Author Topic: sigh...  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
sigh...
« on: June 23, 2004, 09:28:45 PM »
HTC dont you think you've gone a BIT too far on increasing field strength?

there is NO options to take a base now, i just run a FH killing mission, and we killed ALL the FH's

within 2 minutes they had REUPPED again

theres just something messed up right now and i just cant see what

for one, i love the gunnery now, i love the fights we have in the air, but HOW THE HELL DO WE CAPTURE BASES?

bish have been trying on A17 for the past 2 hours, theres still 50 knits in there nikis there, even after porking fuel down to the stupid 75% level, porking FH's only to have them pop up before you even land

i, and MANY bish are really F***ED off with this now

how do you base suppress if there is UNLIMITED reupps at bases?

i cant think what more to say but, apart from bombing GVS there sno fun here, bombing HQ's just doesnt work, 2000lbs just damages acks, no buildings go down

the rook-knight alliance sure is having fun at bish expense, as its imposible to take a base without having MASSIVE number advantage.

think maybe its time to just give up and wait for TOD or something

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
sigh...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 09:39:09 PM »
just feeling alittle frustrated....
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
sigh...
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 12:19:02 AM »
I absolutely HATE the land grab in AH and I don't care if my side loses its HQ, so long as I can find good fights. I suppose I'm the polar opposite of the arm-chair generals we have that type often in caps over channel 2.

However I agree (VERY reluctantly) with Overlag. It does seems difficult to capture bases, although the fights in AH2 have been superb I'd just hate to see AH2 lose a customer base that likes the boring landgrab.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
sigh...
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 12:24:54 AM »
Try shooting them down. If you want a base, it's better to be a good pilot than a good suicide porker.  Kill em and then keep them from upping.

I keep reading the initial post over and over again because I can't believe it.  "The enemy is still flying, even after I destroyed all their buildings!  What should I do?!"

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
sigh...
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 07:01:06 AM »
Trouble is Engine, sure I'll knock five of them down ;), but now, low on fuel and ammo, I must rtb and con numbers are still the same because they just re-up.

In effect, all this sortie will accomplish is a fun fight but has absolutely no effect on base capture at all.

Something like a minute's delay before getting another plane after losing your last ride might help though.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
sigh...
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 07:13:49 AM »
Originally posted by Engine
"The enemy is still flying, even after I destroyed all their buildings!  What should I do?!"

ROFLMAO LOLOLOL
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
sigh...
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 07:29:01 AM »
I am an old AW vet, and one thing AW did which I think may solve this problem without hauling us back into the Dark Ages of Sir Pork-a-lot is limiting the number of planes that can up from a given field per unit time and/or per operational Fighter Hangers. I believe this was done in AW more to curtail server resource load but the unintended effect was actually realistic. There were only so many planes allowed to up at a given airbase at a time. Allowing unlimited planes to up instantly is very unrealsitic.

If you limited small fields to 20 planes every 5 minutes (or whatever), medium fields to 30 planes, and large fields to 50 planes, it would pretty accurately simulate a one, two, or three squadron strength force. Or,  perhaps, limiting the number of fighters able to up to 5 or 10 for every fighter hanger that is not destroyed in the same 5 minute sortie cycle woud be viable. If more than the allocated number wanted to participate in that base's defense or stage an attack from that base within that finite time frame, they would have to do so, at least in part, from a nearby field. The same system could be used with regard to bombers and Bomber Hangers.This would have the effect of limiting vulching, keep hordes to a reasonable level, spread the fighting out over more of the map and make base suppression and capture more a function of gaining local air superiority than trying to cripple the field's infrastructure which is largely impractical with anything other than overwhelming numerical superiority as noted in the previous posts.

As it is now, there is no difference between a field with only 1 FH up and one with all its FH's up.Unless you are able to keep all FH's down simultaneously there is zero net effect, this is not very realistic. Hangers were the numero uno target when attacking airfields (they housed the aircraft for maintainence/re-arming/re-fueling/refitting), actual ready aircraft on the ground were also high priority but AH does not model parked aircraft. In a way, doing what I mentioned above will give the building battlers a purpose that won't require a massive numerical advantage for a prolonged time period as each hanger destroyed will restrict the enemies ability to amass a perma-horde incrementally, at the same time there will be a premium put on the prudent application of defensive fighter forces, making death more meaningfull and costly to ones' team in the local strategic sense.

Just thinking out loud here...

Zazen
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 08:30:20 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
sigh...
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 07:32:28 AM »
That sounds like a good idea Zazen.

It will cause a bit of an frustration at first i guess, but people will adapt and overcome...
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
sigh...
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 07:44:19 AM »
Where is it written that base captures are supposed to be easy ?

Its too bad that a handfull of pilots can no longer ...

Take down all the ack !!!

Take down all the fuel !!!

Take down the VH !!!

Take down the town and capture it.

In AH I, the above could be accomplished, with ease, with 4-6 pilots. Now it takes a concerted and coordinated effort to accomplish the above.

Here is what I think Overlag ...

If FHs came back up within 2 minutes of your mission taking out said fighter hangers, I would believe that a fighter hanger was taken out previously to your run, and regenerated at the proper time.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
sigh...
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 08:10:47 AM »
Zazen it should also have the affect of spreading out combat more through the arena. If a small base has maxed out the planes it can field in a set period of time other pilots have two choices:

[list=1]
  • Up from a nearby base and have to fly a few additional sectors to the hot spot (combat).
  • Or look for another interesting area to fight, which has a base that can field planes, instead of pig piling in on just one or two hot spot areas.

There will still be hordes but it would change things from 2-3 super horde / hotspot fighting areas to quite a few smaller horde fighting areas as people up in other areas since they would not have the patience to wait to up at the maxed out field. Or the patience to fly several additional sectors to the fight. And of course flying a couple more sectors would make them try to survive more since to die means they have to spend x many minutes in the air traveling to the fight (unless they switch to an area with a base not maxed out).

Interesting idea that could change the flavor of combat and operations in the MA.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
sigh...
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 08:18:15 AM »
Originally posted by ghostdancer
Zazen it should also have the affect of spreading out combat more through the arena. If a small base has maxed out the planes it can field in a set period of time other pilots have two choices:

[list=1]
  • Up from a nearby base and have to fly a few additional sectors to the hot spot (combat).
  • Or look for another interesting area to fight, which has a base that can field planes, instead of pig piling in on just one or two hot spot areas.

There will still be hordes but it would change things from 2-3 super horde / hotspot fighting areas to quite a few smaller horde fighting areas as people up in other areas since they would not have the patience to wait to up at the maxed out field. Or the patience to fly several additional sectors to the fight. And of course flying a couple more sectors would make them try to survive more since to die means they have to spend x many minutes in the air traveling to the fight (unless they switch to an area with a base not maxed out).

Interesting idea that could change the flavor of combat and operations in the MA.

Exactly, instead of a base to base, perma-horde fight, the fight will be more of a 'front-line affair, where the fight extends not only to the hotly contested base but also to other adjacent 'support' fields around the perimeter of the principle battle.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
sigh...
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 08:21:50 AM »
Is it me or does the Ah2 cater to the horde? It definitely is harder to take a base...which means rooks can hold a cap and vulch for 2 hours until the troops get there without dying (which they are happy to do), in addition they cant be stopped due to fuel situation. Great game I love it but the unbalanced numbers starting to get real old. Yea its the bishes "turn" to be with low numbers...does that make it right? Espeacially with new game version.

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
sigh...
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 08:41:44 AM »
Last night, between 7 and 9 pm EST knights had the lowest numbers.  There were a LOT of rooks on.  I remeber the numbers once were 190 rooks 140 bish and 115 Knights.  Someone was selling a 262 mission on radio saying they only cost about 115 perks but, with CTD's pretty much standard fare, practically no one wanted to risk it.

Majority of Knights were not interested in capturing bases, we were just fighting fighters much to the consternation of our little general types .  They were screaming like mad - I think a couple probably had strokes from the strain.

The  problems people are having I blame the map for.   (Why are we using the antique maps anyway?)  The Bish are in the "bad" corner.

Offline skev

• Zinc Member
sigh...
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 08:46:11 AM »
i agree with overlag with the amount of people that it takes to take a base now it takes away frm the game a little bit.

you dont see small fights all hordes flying in to a base......

last night was a great example........ two fights on the entire map one at 41 rooks flying in at 20k and one between 14 and 17 bishop flying in at 20k. knights trying to defend both..

really made for a boring night so I logged

I rather fly with five buddies to try and take base and fight five defending then fly with the hordes but know you cant do that

you need five just to take a v-base now with three hangers on them now
just my opion and it could be wrong

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
sigh...
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 08:49:23 AM »
This map (last nights - if rooks didnt reset it) has darn few decent GV fighting areas.  The normal alternative to the hoards wasn't an option for most.