Author Topic: Who said it was a good idea to make peace with al-Sadr  (Read 2325 times)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Who said it was a good idea to make peace with al-Sadr
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2004, 01:50:41 AM »
Originally posted by Crumpp
Straffo,

You attempting to argue with me over a US State Department Term which I have explained the meaning of for you.  

It fits the definition for both the formation of Poland and Israel.   The Link you posted was exactly were I got my information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Poland

if it's the state departement it can't be wrong ?

Please look at this affirmation :
Poland existed as a state during the XVI century

Is it right or wrong ?

You are speaking of Poland state as made by the allied at the end of WWII.
I'm speaking of Poland as the country of the Polish.

Let me repost my reply to Storch.  Please reread it and try and understand it.  Perception defines your reality.  I am 100 percent sure that Polish perception, Palestinian perception, US perception, Israeli perception and French perception of world events may have some similarities they will also have their differences.
[/B]

certainly.

My question on French perception was a legitimate one and not a cheap swipe at France.  I was trying to get a view from French perception. [/B]

Perception is the key word, French citizen though vichy was legitimate ,but for a stricly republican/legal/constitutional point of view it was not.

See : " Le nouveau gouvernement formé à Bordeaux le 16 juin 1940 l'avait bien été initialement selon les procédures normales ; mais il n'avait pas reçu la consécration parlementaire imposée par le droit positif. Il était donc illégitime parce que vicieusement formé."

(imprecise translation )
The governement formed in Bordeaux gave the full power to Pétain but even if this governement  was created correctly it was not legitimated by the National Assembly.

So it was build on vicious bases and this governement had not the legal power to transfert to Pétain control of France.

-Petain was given the power to rewrite a new Constitution but this was never done.
-He instead put forth three Constitutional Acts that suspended the Constitution of the Third Republic of 1875.
-These Acts suspended Parliament, transferred all powers to himself

Sorry but a Republic without parlement ,constitution and not recognizing the human right as no value here.

Perhaps France feels that the Duchy of Krakow was an independant country while the Poles felt they were subjects of the Napoleanic Empire.  [/B]

Beg to disagree here ,as a Pole we prefered Napoléon to the tzar ,just because the tzar was Russian !
But a Pole living in Poland will have perhaps a different perception than mine.
Therefore the date of Polish independance is different in French History books than it is in other accounts. Much stranger things have been printed in History Books.[/B]

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2004, 04:42:27 AM »
Straffo,

You are speaking of Poland state as made by the allied at the end of WWII.

WWI, but..
Exactly!  "Artificial State" is a technical term the US State Department uses to denote a country created by treaty where none existed before.  It refers to Political BORDERS not peoples CULTURES.  It has nothing to do with whether the land was occupied or the people existed before the countries creation.

I'm speaking of Poland as the country of the Polish.

EXACTLY!! You are talking about the traditional cultural dwellings and area inhabited by the Poles.  Nothing you have said is wrong.  It just taken from a different point of view.  That is why we have cultural maps as well as political ones.  That is how most border disputes arise. When the cultural boundries cross the political one's!

We on the same sheet of music now? ;)

Crumpp

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2004, 04:47:34 AM »
Thanks for the History lesson on Vichy France, BTW.  I did not know that Petain tried to take absolute power.

Crumpp

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2004, 05:10:09 AM »
Originally posted by Crumpp
We on the same sheet of music now? ;)

certainly :)

About Pétain it has never been very clear if it was his will or the will of Pierre Laval in which case  Pétain was just a strawman.
But he accepted the responsibility

IMO he was under the influence of the extreme right wing like the anti-republicain ,the monarchist and the former member of the "cagoule" (the CSAR)

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2004, 07:20:33 AM »
not recognizing the human right as no value here.

Governments which do not recognize human value have no right today either!
Thanks for the insight into Vichy France.  It is covered in our required History classes but not in detail.

Crumpp

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2004, 08:45:44 AM »
Well ... it's not completly covered in French schools

There is still some famillies where speaking Vichy that lead to fights :)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2004, 10:54:21 AM »
Wrong again, you're just relying on the frequently expressed *myth* that the 1947 and 1967 wars were purely "defensive" in nature. There are well documented sources that indicate otherwise, the memoirs of Moshe Dayan for example.

In 1967 if the Israelis hadn't attacked first, the Arabs would have. The old adage *the best defense is a good offense* applies rather well to the Israelis in the 6 Day War. Instead of waiting for the Arabs to attack them the Israelis went on the offensive.

neither did Israel

Slo are you just trolling again? Or are you really that ignorant of Jewish history? Jewish people have inhabited that land for 1000's of years, since the time of Abraham. Many times they were conquered and enslaved by other countries in the region, yet each time they returned to their homeland and reestablished the state of Israel.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2004, 02:15:10 PM »

Iraq's new interim government is "illegitimate," militant Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr said Sunday as he vowed to resist occupation forces to the "last drop of blood."

Actualy, he act as he said that he will act.

he claimed long time ago that he will not respect non elected goverment.

CNN didnt quote him ?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 03:02:29 PM by lada »

Offline RTStuka

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2004, 02:56:02 PM »

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2004, 05:52:02 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie
Slo are you just trolling again? Or are you really that ignorant of Jewish history? Jewish people have inhabited that land for 1000's of years, since the time of Abraham. Many times they were conquered and enslaved by other countries in the region, yet each time they returned to their homeland and reestablished the state of Israel.

yup...that would be like the UN giving back the US to the Indians....

storch

« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2004, 08:23:45 PM »
Originally posted by SLO

Or Canada to the Indians, except the Indians aren't God's chosen people.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2004, 08:44:30 PM »
Originally posted by SLO

The Indians in the Americas never reestablished themselves, and never had clearly defined borders either.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2004, 09:23:14 PM »
Originally posted by storch
Or Canada to the Indians, except the Indians aren't God's chosen people.

in there culture they belong to the land....same as saying belonging to a God

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2004, 01:04:38 PM »
Originally posted by SLO
in there culture they belong to the land....same as saying belonging to a God

Inaccurate.....The Indians had Gods, and the land wasn't a God for them. The land was something that in their eyes no one could own and was to be taken care of and not abused.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2004, 01:12:34 PM »
Elfie, where did you learn your American Indian history?