Author Topic: Well what next.  (Read 2770 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Well what next.
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2004, 05:05:40 PM »
Originally posted by Mugzeee
the 75% lower limit was added to correct a poor choice of FBM = 2 (just my opinion) and had the added "benefit" of anti pork.

Which beegs the question? If the result is the same...Why change the FB rate to begin with? It seems to have caused an uproar for nothing, if switching things around had no changing effect on the flight time. Just a question...thats all

Bottom line was ... it gives legs to the early war machines that would have become completely extinct with the current FBM and 25% fuel porking situation.

Early war planes, such as the Spit V, have no option for Drop Tanks, so with 25% fuel and the current FBM, they would only get to take off and then need to land within and extrodinarily short amount of time.

The current FBM satisfies the "realism" bunch. They can now feel more immersed in forcing fuel management ... thats what the E6B is all about and for. So to make it more "realistic", they needed to wipe out fuel porkin so as not to lose an important part of the "air force" and those who like to fly them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 05:09:49 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Well what next.
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2004, 07:14:38 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Simaril: Are you talking about towns or cities?

HiTech

HiTech, the story I told was about an attack against a fresh base and associated town -- not city. (Good point about timing, SlapShot, though it didnt apply to this particular situation.) And yes, it could have been 15 min by the time the second run finished, the covering fighters went into dogfight mode, and the goon tried to approach.

I really appreciate Zanth's post, because the failure to take down the strat city was probably the source of our difficulty. I see the strategic point of the realtionships, but I now have to wonder if the chain is a little to long to keep strategic play enjoyably balanced.

Here's what I mean. The triggering event for our local (couple bases over) tactical bomber assault was continued pressure on a friendly base, that friendly fighters just hadnt been able to relieve. Allow time for that realization; allow time for organizing a "fine, hit  THEIR starting base" bomber mission; allow time for climbing out and making initial positioning; allow time for the actual bombing of the offending enemy base. Even without having to hit regional strat targets, the base we were trying to relieve had fallen by the time our goon was trying to run in.

While you could argue that we should have pre-emptively wiped out their city and factory complexes, before any specific problem developed, realistically I don't think you could pre-emptively get enough people excited about the target to make the run effective. In real life, most everyone uses strat targets as milk run destinations (or as places to hang out and torch some bombers). Wiping out strat targets deep behind enemy lines, risking 3x kills to fighters with short runs from bases along the way, takes commitment -- and especially time sacrifices -- that very few guys are going to have.  

However, just as SlapShot said, most fliers simply don't know the strategic layers that are there. I never realized that wiping out strats had THAT powerful an effect on replacement times. Maybe the first step should be to get the info out of the instructions and in to the hearts and minds of the players.

I still wonder if the strat effect chain is too long to have a practical impact, though.

And HiTech, thanks for your attention to our threads. It means a lot to know you guys care that much.  
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
Well what next.
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2004, 07:28:37 PM »
Originally posted by DrDea
Gotta keep the furballers happy Morph.They cry the loudest.I dont mind a furball now and then but this just cut the strat part to zip.Took away alot of peoples main goal in the game,right or wrong,its a bad choice IMHO.Should be able to take it down to 50%

Nah, now it's all troops and ord.