Author Topic: ONCE AGAIN I CANT PLAY its getting OLD  (Read 910 times)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
ONCE AGAIN I CANT PLAY its getting OLD
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2001, 07:31:00 AM »
Fair enough AKSeaWolfe.    I'm glad to get back to debating the issues, we both sound a lot more intelligent doing that instead of slagging each other.  

Yeah, I was around WB a bit when they did some of that.  The problem for me is that it is a second arena.  I think folks want to be in the same arena, I know I do.  I don't think we have the numbers for any sort of experiment outside of the main arena to work.  Even so, I think the point is to have some small area that is a bit of a haven.  This way when things are going well and are fairly even, folks will participate in the larger war.  "Furball Island" exists now in the center of the map with regular capturable fields, but even when it's split up evenly I don't see too many folks furballing there really.  There is always some action there, but nothing like the numbers you mentioned in your previous post.  I think this would only affect the arena when one side was being beaten down badly, and then folks would tend to fall back to these fields.  Once a team fell back to the invincible field, the other guys could then either nail the last field and get a reset, or try to continue holding down the "losing" team.  When it got down to the one field that the ack couldn't be killed on and the vulch couldn't be laid on thick, I believe folks would soon turn to either forcing the reset or fighting the other team.  I really believe it would balance the arena during these extreme times and keep more players in the game.  As long as it's not part of the requirements for a reset, the regular "war" and arena reset would still go on as normal IMHO.

I understand your point, and I think you have a valid concern.  I think, that based on the current terrain with "furball island" in the middle, the impact of making those fields un-capturable would be minimal.  I could be wrong of course.  I really don't think it would change the normal arena dynamic that much.  We won't know who is correct unless it is tried.    Of course what HT and Pyro think is the real point here.

What I'm trying to do is see if there isn't a way we could accomodate everyone in the same arena and yet still provide some kind of a way to keep folks from being limited too extremely.  The bottom line is that if one team is held to two fields and vulched, players will just plain log out.  A few will complain, a few will struggle to play anyway, but I think the silent majority just logs out.  That's a bad thing.  I'd like to find an idea that would allow folks to still win the war, but prevent one side from being hammered to the point that folks will leave the game.

Thanks for the discussion this evolved into AKSeaWolfe.    Debating this with you has helped me define and flesh-out this idea.  I now see more advantages and possible dis-advantages to such an arena setup.  Wether it's ever implemented or not, I think we all learned a bit about AH and the community.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
ONCE AGAIN I CANT PLAY its getting OLD
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2001, 07:57:00 AM »
Not sure what happened to Rooks this last tour but they seem to be less organized and it's driving me nuts.

I keep saying I'm going to switch sides but when I get in the rooks are always outnumbered so I feel bad and stay.

I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.