Author Topic: 38 damage model?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
38 damage model?
« on: August 01, 2004, 05:44:32 PM »
ive seen several post concerning different things with 38 DM.  here is another to add to list, got HO'd by la7 and the tail fell off?!:confused:   hope somebody takes a look at this thing, it is quite ridiculous.  my unwanted 2 cents.
~S~
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Fauxbra

• Zinc Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 06:07:38 PM »
strange i find that the 38 takes a ridiculous amount of damage to bring down.And it seems like no matter where i hit it i always manage to get an engine smoking ,  even when i clearly see the hit sprites on the elevator.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 07:19:42 PM »
Originally posted by Fauxbra
strange i find that the 38 takes a ridiculous amount of damage to bring down.And it seems like no matter where i hit it i always manage to get an engine smoking ,  even when i clearly see the hit sprites on the elevator.
if i could get close to one with out fps dying it would be a blessing in disguise.  I hated 38's in AH1 they turned to sharp, now they stall and fall in stead of turn and burn:D
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 07:42:03 PM »
Skull, ill turn n burn when oppoutunity presents itself.  ;)   and faubra, just since this last patch, it seems really hosed for me anyways.  and the get ho'd and tail falls off thing is just junk to me.  maybe shoulda died, sure, but tail falling off from a shot from straight HO?  just dont see that one.
~S~
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 08:41:41 PM »
Originally posted by killnu
but tail falling off from a shot from straight HO?  just dont see that one.
~S~
your forgetting the fact that possible the bullets fly over the cockpit and hit the tail.  MY guess is that the Tail provides a larger target area than the wings.  If the aim is just the slightest inch to high you turn the wing, a huge area, into a thin area, while when the speeding bullets starts to go downthe tail provides a larger surface area to hit.

:confused:
chit wtf did i just say lol?
i have a headache now:(
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
38 damage model?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 02:56:47 AM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12
I hated 38's in AH1 they turned to sharp, now they stall and fall in stead of turn and burn:D

What P-38 driver are you watching?  The P-38 in AH2 turns a lot better than it ever did in AH1.  It no longer takes any work to out turn Spitfires or N1K2s, especially in a stall fight.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 08:20:51 AM »
Dont fly the 38 much..yet
Im sure in time I will

Curious about something.
Does the 38 get oil on cockpit too?
One would imagine not but  ya never know.

It does seem thenever I kill a 38 though his tail comes off.
Even if Im hitting him in the wing
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 08:58:50 AM »
I have to agree that the "tail" separation is way out of line on the P-38. It seems to snap like a dry twig. In AH1, if I took fire from behind, I would end up, mostly, with elevator and/or rudder damage. It seems like I don't get that anymore, but rather tail separation instead.

I forget who mentioned it before in another thread, but apparently each tail boom on the P-38 has a steel spar running thru it. It would be extremely hard to separate the tail from a P-38 with a super-structure such as that, whereas in this game, it doesn't seem to take much to do it.

I am hoping that, when HTC gets the time, they will re-evaluate the DM on the P-38 and fix this.

Also, I still believe that there is still something wrong with the FM too. Got into a spin the other day at 10K, and there was absolutly no way to recover from it. This is not the only time this has happened and I find it hard to believe too.

Everytime, for me, it spins at a dizzying rate counter-clockwise. Very frustrating.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 10:57:51 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
I forget who mentioned it before in another thread, but apparently each tail boom on the P-38 has a steel spar running thru it. It would be extremely hard to separate the tail from a P-38 with a super-structure such as that, whereas in this game, it doesn't seem to take much to do it.

I am hoping that, when HTC gets the time, they will re-evaluate the DM on the P-38 and fix this.

Also, I still believe that there is still something wrong with the FM too. Got into a spin the other day at 10K, and there was absolutly no way to recover from it. This is not the only time this has happened and I find it hard to believe too.

Everytime, for me, it spins at a dizzying rate counter-clockwise. Very frustrating.

I was the one who told you the P-38 has a stainless steel spar through each tail boom, just like the wings. The tail won't just pop off. They came back with one boom shot completely away. No P-38 pilot I've ever talked to said a P-38 lost its whole tail in combat unless there was a collision.

I had TEN of those stupid spins tonight. No recovery, just a continual spin, no possibility of recovery, and no response from the controls at all. It is in direct conflict with everything you read about the P-38. It is also a joke. This is one thing I'm getting VERY sick of. There's no excuse for it either.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 11:00:48 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
What P-38 driver are you watching?  The P-38 in AH2 turns a lot better than it ever did in AH1.  It no longer takes any work to out turn Spitfires or N1K2s, especially in a stall fight.

ack-ack

this is BS i want to see a film of this no way can a P38 outturn Spitfire v
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
38 damage model?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 11:20:09 PM »
Ive never had a spin in a 38 in AH2 3K AGL that asemetrical power wouldnt correct.  ie. countering the spin with the opposite engine only.

I was the one who told you the P-38 has a stainless steel spar through each tail boom, just like the wings. The tail won't just pop off.

I agree.
no way can a P38 outturn Spitfire v

Dont tell that to the spit5 pilot that turned about 20 consecutive stall loops with me, he might get a complex.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 12:07:08 AM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Ive never had a spin in a 38 in AH2 3K AGL that asemetrical power wouldnt correct.  ie. countering the spin with the opposite engine only.

I agree.

Dont tell that to the spit5 pilot that turned about 20 consecutive stall loops with me, he might get a complex.

Well, the thing is, you shouldn't NEED assymetrical power to counter a spin. Engines to idle, yoke neutral, rudders opposite of spin till the spin stops (seemingly never in AH II now), yoke forward to regain speed to 150, gentle pullout. That's how it is SUPPOSED to work. But it does not. And that's a crock of crap.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
38 damage model?
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 12:36:20 AM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Well, the thing is, you shouldn't NEED assymetrical power to counter a spin. Engines to idle, yoke neutral, rudders opposite of spin till the spin stops (seemingly never in AH II now), yoke forward to regain speed to 150, gentle pullout. That's how it is SUPPOSED to work. But it does not. And that's a crock of crap.

Oh, I agree with you in part hilts.  That wingover accelerated stall that prerequisites the spin doesnt line up with descriptions from real 38 pilots both read and in conversation.  Asemetrical power should be what causes a reaction like that.  At least powering up the correct engine does have the effect I would expect.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
38 damage model?
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 03:13:30 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot

I've had those spins happen to me quite a few times.  I don't know what causes them, at first I thought it was from going into an accelerated stall but I should have been able to recover immediately as the plane started to stall but not able to.  I have been able to get out of the wicked spin by turning off my engines and then doing the standard spin recovery procedure.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 05:34:21 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
What P-38 driver are you watching? The P-38 in AH2 turns a lot better than it ever did in AH1. It no longer takes any work to out turn Spitfires or N1K2s, especially in a stall fight.

ack-ack

i have been sticking on niks and spits tails very well lately in the p38, ya it turns better, but maybe its also because spits and the sort stall allot more now.