Author Topic: Hitech You're Killing the 339th Fighter Group!  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Hitech You're Killing the 339th Fighter Group!
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2004, 02:33:25 AM »
Originally posted by jdpete75
AH isnt really a good depiction of the war.  In real thing a bomb or two would take out a hanger, not so in this case.  All those bomb craters you see on the runway, they would kill you if you decided to drive over them while taking off.  B17s NEVER took off at bases that were being attacked to serve as ackstars.  Planes with oil hits or other possibly catastrophic damage made every attempt to egress and go home safely, not so here.  You didnt have to knock down all the buildings in France and make sure they stayed down to take territory.  Very few furballs (if any?) were fought just for the sake of furballing.  Numerical majority was considered a good thing.  Now as soon as we go to a system of bombing the runway and leaving craters to kill the persistant lemings that just cant stop upping  I will be more than happy to carry 2 250lb bombs.  Oh yea you only had one life so you only got to die once with no reup

Exactly, which is why asking for an aircraft based on 'historical' connections is silly and I'm as history oriented as anyone.

So take the Bs as a historical connection and enjoy the flight :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2004, 02:40:15 AM »
Originally posted by anton
Its HTCs game. Its by far the best one of it's kind available, with or without this change.

Personally I welcome the change. But then I'm the type of guy that switches from the side with most players, & I dont thnk my preffered plane is on the hit-list anyway:aok

Anton

Anton,

This game has a gameplay model.  That model used perks, scores, resets etc to define success.   The model is dual in that there are perks and stats for the individualists and perks and stats for country success.

Country success = Land Grab... Reset.

That is most often accomplished by organization, team play, and usually a numerical advantage.

Now we come along and say... Forget country loyalty.... you should change sides to make the fights more even.  (as a furballer I am all for that... care less about land grab other than it limits my options).  

So in effect this change is counter to the very model upon which the gameplay was designed.  

We have 3 countrys... why? Why not 2?  Because 2 would make it hard to ensure that we had resonably even numbers.  3 would provide a check and balance.  Well the 3 country system isn't working.  Why?  Does one country so significantly outnumber the other two combined for a large amount of time (days)?  Or is it because the two countries that need to focus more on the bigger country can't organize to do that?

The last two nights I thought Knits and Bish countered the Rooks very well.  Penned Rooks on the main island all night.

3 country check and balance... worked like a charm.

Just when the gameplay model actually begins to work as designed... we make a change... that submarines almost all of the game model decisions.

Makes no sense to me...

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2004, 02:59:38 AM »
Which of course invalidates any other points mentioned concerning how the AW community and the AW staff handled a very similar situation. Makes sense to me. If the game sucked, then nothing related to the game has relevance. I understand completely.

If you want to talk about AW then I am not interested. I didn't fly AW and honestly don't care anything about it all. There have been many AW threads on this forum and if AW is something you want to discuss then I suggest a review of those old threads. So yes AW is completely irrelevant to me. Maybe some one else wants to talk about it.

It is in HT's interest to provide a gaming experience that is enjoyed by the MAJORITY of his account holders, not the vocal minority. Glad I don't have to decide which way to turn.

I joined this whole thread for two reasons. I think the original poster had every right to voice his opinion concerning this impending change. A paying customer that wants to make sure that HT hears his side. Why everyone wanted to step up with such things as "fly something else" etc. is beyond me. He pays his money and he has a right to ask for the product he wants. Ultimately he has the right not to pay for a product that no longer meets his needs.

Secondly, I wanted to offer that this isn't a new problem and "flying communities" (insert flight sim name here) have experienced and survived these very same problems without draconian measures.

Of course he has a right to his opinion, as do I or you. That's not at issue. As much as he wants his opinion heard in regards to the upcoming changes there are those of us who disagree with his opinion and in order that HT maintains a balanced view we make sure to contrast the two. One guy says it will mean the end of all things and another guy says it won’t.

The majority of the players haven’t come out against HT's plan. Where's your polling data.

Plenty of paying customers have said that they don’t enjoy the game when the numbers are lopsided. A majority? Who knows, it doesn’t really matter.

However, when folks leave AH they fill out a little feed back pop up. I would guess HT has read more then a few folks say the game play is what keeps them away. IMO one of the worse aspects of AH's game play is the horde. It's even worse when the horde has a large numerical advantage.

Of course this isn’t a new issue. Not even if AH. That doesn’t mean that it’s not a real issue. The only difference that I see in AH now in regards to the past was that in the past players moved on their own. Now they aren’t so willing and espouse such things as "Rook 'til I die" "I won’t betray my country" etc...

And do we the community have access to reliable data that shows that the sides are terribly uneven for large amounts of time or are we just pointing to certain peak events, like a Rook Sunday night? For what length of time can we show data that has the Rooks with more numbers than either the BISH and KNITS combined? If we are talking small spike events and after that BISH and KNITS have more total.... then the BISH and KNITS can handle this in the arena without HT forcing a fix. (as they have the last several nights) Might mean BISH and KNITS have more trouble forcing a reset as they will have to decide when or if they turn on each other but.....

It’s funny that you demand data especially when it follows a claim like "the majority of AH paying customers". You certainly don’t have data to support that. Ask HT how players who play AH actually read or post of this forum. Not a majority I bet. Its up to HT to explain his reasoning if he chooses to.

But since you want "data" you can search the forum. There have been a number of threads that track player numbers over the years. Ghostdancer in another thread provide some in the context of this discussion.

Just a matter of viewpoint. It may be irrational to you, but until you pay the other folks' AH accounts, they have a right to fly it their way. Same thing goes for plane choice. If a dweeb wants to fly one and only one plane, you and I might have an opinion, but it's their business what they fly, not ours.

It’s irrational when it gets to the point where the game needs to be redesigned because folks are unwilling on their own to correct the problem.

Where I have told anyone what they should fly? You can search my replies (Batz or Wotan) on this bbs to see exactly how I feel on that.

Even in the context of the current discussion I have said I don’t agree with HT's solution because I don’t think folks should be denied the plane of their choice outright.

I'm not sure what HT saw, I haven't seen any data. I assume he is responding to input from the community. Of course the unhappy folks speak louder and more often than the happy ones. Now that he is preparing to make a change to appease some folks, he is hearing from the formerly happy ones. Vicious circle. If I had data that showed that the Rooks outnumbered the Knits and Bish combined on a continual basis I would be more inclined to think something had to be done. But realistically it would have to be significantly larger numbers. The whole reason the game is built with 3 countries is to negate lopsided numbers. If we are going to put measures in to FORCE equal sides, then dump one of the countries and we can have just a two sided arena.

HT doesnt owe any of us "proof" or the reasoning behind his descisions. However, he did explain himself rather well in his post on the sublect. But if the number imbalance only occurs occassionally and or rarely then the ride restrictions will be very rare as well. So what's the problem?

We are not talking about any other solution other then the one HT has decided on. 3 countries, 4 countries, 10 countries who cares. This game has 3 and HT's solution to the side imbalance is to restrict certain rides that fall below a given eny value. That is what this thread is about.

I won't doubt some customers have been lost on the gangbang. I don't know of any but that is neither here nor there. Lost ALOT more customers with the AH2 "upgrade" I'd wager. I don't see us opening up AH1 again.

I wont speculate and say the driving force behind Ht's descision to restrict certain rides was customers leaving. I said that I am sure he's lost some. If he wants to tell us that he will. Every customer who leaves is asked for some feedback as to why they are leaving.

Most of those who threatened to quit Ah when AH2 came out still play AH with the exception of those with low end hardware.  I would bet even those folks will be back if and once the get better equipment.

But lets say that the number imbalance isnt even an issue except rarely. Let's assume HT had made a rash descision in restricting rides once the number imbalance reaches a certain threshold. This would only mean that on rare occasions, when that threshold is reached, some planes will be restricted for the side that has the advantage. So what? If the number imbalance is rare then the ride restrictions will be rare.

My input or opinions are BS. Glad you got that out in the open. Wouldn't want that to one of those implied things. HT is not  forced to do any one course of action. As a businessman I agree he needs to evaluate the game play and decide if he thinks it needs to be changed. If he wants to change it, change it. He gets paid to make the big decisions and can monitor the bottom line. If his bottom line looks good, then it doesn't matter if the change made some people unhappy.

Here I have to question your reading ability.

How does this:

Any other BS you want to wrap into it is beside the point.

equal to:

My input or opinions are BS

If you remember what your wrote in your first reply to me then you will see that, like in your last reply, you mixed in multiple issues you have with AH and that have nothing to do with this thread.

Things like AW and strat etc are examples. As I said I have no interest in either of those. Nor do I care to talk about adding more sides of taking some away. That is the "BS" I was referring to.

Which is your opinion of what your gaming experience requires. HT can put a check mark in the "Who Cares Column" for fixing the strat. I personally think if you've had maps for two plus years that have porked Strat... either shut the strat / HQ functions off or fix them. So my check goes in a different column.

Strat and war winning are not something I care about in a flight game. I play to engage other folks in air to air combat. Anything more then that doesn’t interest me.

Strat is not the subject of this thread anyway. If you want to talk about strat please search through the previous posts on the subject. Or maybe you can find some one who wants to to discuss it with you.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 03:12:17 AM by Wotan »

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2004, 03:03:06 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan
Strat and war winning are not something I care about in a flight game. I play to engage other folks in air to air combat. Anything more then that doesn’t interest me.

Then why not just grab some folks to go into the Dueling Arena ? Why change the setup in MA to make it more like the DA (which it sounds is more to your liking) ?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2004, 03:05:38 AM »
because you're supposed to fight for victory in the MA too, not just sneak the map room or suicide jabo or vulch + gangbang and generally put no importance in using that internet connection to actually connect with other players...
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2004, 03:09:00 AM »
Hyrax81st,

What are you talking about? I haven't advocated changing anything. I know its late but please read that reply in the correct context.

Here it is:

4510 mentions strat, I reply that I dont care about strat.

None of that has to do with the topic of the thread or with or HT's solution to side balancing.

So please reread it if you are confused.

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2004, 03:26:15 AM »
Here it is:

None of that has to do with the topic of the thread or with or HT's solution to side balancing.

So please reread it if you are confused. [/B]

I was confused... my apologies.

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2004, 04:05:28 AM »

The majority of the players haven’t come out against HT's plan. Where's your polling data.

Point to where I said a Majority have taken a certain position.  I believe I was indicating HiTech had a responsibility to the Majority not the vocal minority.

Plenty of paying customers have said that they don’t enjoy the game when the numbers are lopsided. A majority? Who knows, it doesn’t really matter.

Define plenty.. cite your source?

However, when folks leave AH they fill out a little feed back pop up. I would guess HT has read more then a few folks say the game play is what keeps them away.

I won't guess.. but I certainly hope that is correct.

It’s funny that you demand data especially when it follows a claim like "the majority of AH paying customers". You certainly don’t have data to support that.

I think you missed the point the first time you paraphrased my statement and you are no closer now.  I was speaking of his responsibility to... never defined the position of... the  majority.

But since you want "data" you can search the forum. There have been a number of threads that track player numbers over the years. Ghostdancer in another thread provide some in the context of this discussion.

Well I'm giving HiTech the benefit of the doubt here.  Ghost's are snapshots.  His data doesn't support HiTech's action. I would think system logs etc. would be more definitive.

It’s irrational when it gets to the point where the game needs to be redesigned because folks are unwilling on their own to correct the problem.

Only if you accept the position that the game needs to be redesigned.  I've yet to be convinced it is a problem that needs to be "fixed" by altering the game design.

Where I have told anyone what they should fly? You can search my replies (Batz or Wotan) on this bbs to see exactly how I feel on that.

You are correct... you didn't.... it was a continuation of my thought process... expressing an opinion about choice.  My bad.

Even in the context of the current discussion I have said I don’t agree with HT's solution because I don’t think folks should be denied the plane of their choice outright.

Then we agree on at least one point.

HT doesnt owe any of us "proof" or the reasoning behind his descisions. However, he did explain himself rather well in his post on the sublect.

Absolutely correct.  He doesn't owe anything to his paying customers.  However, conversely he then has no right to expect patience, understanding, tolerance of a less than perfect product.  Not that he has ever asked for that.... but he certainly has provided the less than perfect product.

But if the number imbalance only occurs occassionally and or rarely then the ride restrictions will be very rare as well. So what's the problem?

If the problem is rare there is no need for a "fix".  

We are not talking about any other solution other then the one HT has decided on. 3 countries, 4 countries, 10 countries who cares. This game has 3 and HT's solution to the side imbalance is to restrict certain rides that fall below a given eny value. That is what this thread is about.

If we need a fix to balance the sides (3 country model won't) and the result of that fix is encouraging people to change countries counter to the game play model of cooperative missions, land grabbing, resets. Then we are breaking one thing to fix another.  

Most of those who threatened to quit Ah when AH2 came out still play AH with the exception of those with low end hardware.  I would bet even those folks will be back if and once the get better equipment.

Cite your source and data please.

But lets say that the number imbalance isnt even an issue except rarely. Let's assume HT had made a rash descision in restricting rides once the number imbalance reaches a certain threshold. This would only mean that on rare occasions, when that threshold is reached, some planes will be restricted for the side that has the advantage. So what? If the number imbalance is rare then the ride restrictions will be rare.

If it is rare... then there is no need for a fix.

Could we make a logical leap here in this discussion?  If we have an imbalance issue... ( to have an imbalance issue that the 3 country model can't fix), one country must SIGNIFICANTLY outnumber the combined strength of the other two on a very frequent basis.... and... the players themselves will not fix it willingly.... then it must mean that.....

BISH plus KNITS do not come close to equalling ROOKS.  (ref SIGNIFICANTLY outnumber).

If that is the case... and the Rooks won't move willingly... then we are putting in effect a game play change.... that apparently the MAJORITY doesn't support.  Since if they supported equalizing the numbers some would have moved and done so.  Again.... I don't know the MAJORITY's position... but I would suggest that if the MAJORITY wanted equal sides... we would have it already!

Here I have to question your reading ability.

No need to question my reading ability... question my interpretation perhaps.  Apparently some points I made or data I used you quantified as BS.  Apparently because the situations I used as an example fell outside a frame of reference which you were willing to use.  You out of hand dismissed the management of a like online flight game because you had no interest in that game etc.  I have since stopped trying to use anything outside of the narrow scope of what you will accept to continue the discussion.  

If you remember what your wrote in your first reply to me then you will see that, like in your last reply, you mixed in multiple issues you have with AH and that have nothing to do with this thread.

Things like AW and strat etc are examples. As I said I have no interest in either of those. Nor do I care to talk about adding more sides of taking some away. That is the "BS" I was referring to.

I have accepted that.  If it doesn't fit your narrow scope then any example or reference to actions, lack of action, etc. with those topics as examples are quantified as BS.  I got it.

Well you keep narrowing down the field of what can be used for discussion it will soon be.... What interests Wotan  and only what interests Wotan.  Pretty tough to discuss an open subject with such a closed agenda.

Strat is not the subject of this thread anyway. If you want to talk about strat please search through the previous posts on the subject. Or maybe you can find some one who wants to to discuss it with you.

Well if this change affected only Air to Air Combat I could understand your objection.  However it affects a much broader range of game play issues.  However I guess it is back to Wotan and what interests him are the only points of discussion.

FWIW.. I don't care a hoot about strats with the exception of how it affects my ability to get the plane I want to fly to the fight I want.  But if either of us thinks AH isn't about land grab... reset... and one country winning over another... then we are delusional at best.

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2004, 04:09:37 AM »
Hyrax81st,

What are you talking about? I haven't advocated changing anything. I know its late but please read that reply in the correct context.

Here it is:

So please reread it if you are confused.

Well I have to disagree in as much as.... putting in a "fix" the intent of which is to make people change sides or to hamper the ability of one country to grab land or obtain a reset is directly affecting war winning and the strat model.  Might not interest you but certainly belongs in this thread.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2004, 03:33:20 AM »
Originally posted by phookat
This is probably one of those posts where the poster will come back and apologize for being drunk or high or married or whatever.

sorry about that post, i was a little drunk, smoking a joint,
and my damn wife is giving me hell.  

but seriously, i enjoy the game because i love WW2 planes, i love dogfights and i love to pretend that i really am a pilot and my life and country is at risk and this i believe is what will make me play for as long as my misses will tolerate it.

its the guys that just fly aimlessly about blasting cannons at red icons from 1k with no real regard for make believe fun.

they play Arcade games

I like sims

and you're all still pansy handed girls :p

War is not meant to be fair. its a war sim.

im sure they could make a 'sit round and BS on ch1 whilst HO'ing fish in a barrel' game for those that desire it.

batfink
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2004, 10:58:55 AM »
Originally posted by mechanic
sorry about that post, i was a little drunk, smoking a joint, and my damn wife is giving me hell.

Here, take mine, please.  And have an O'douls on me.  :D

Originally posted by mechanic
its the guys that just fly aimlessly about blasting cannons at red icons from 1k with no real regard for make believe fun.

they play Arcade games

I like sims

There is yet a third group of people who are interested in the realism of the physical environment (flight models, damage models, etc), but who treat the war aspect as a game whose purpose is to encourage various types of combat between the realistic planes.

But whatever.  Play as you like.  In this case, you can easily pretend there was a temporary glitch on the LA7 assembly line, due to strain from the huge production demands.  Such things happen, especially in the more advanced factories that build the more advanced planes. ;)

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2005, 03:05:23 AM »
Squadrons of the 339th FG
503th Fighter Squadron
504th Fighter Squadron
505th Fighter Squadron

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assigned 8th AAF: 4 April 1944
Wing/Command Assignment
VIII FC, 66 FW: 4 April 1944.
3 BD, 66 FW: 15 Sep. 1944.
3 AD, 66 FW: 1 Jan. 1945.

Combat Aircraft:
P-51 B
P-51 C
P-51 D
P-51 K