Author Topic: for Lazs: Crime rates down in NZ  (Read 1914 times)

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
for Lazs: Crime rates down in NZ
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2004, 03:19:07 PM »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 03:28:39 PM by OIO »

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2004, 04:33:40 PM »
Originally posted by Dune
And this also has nothing to do with arming ourselves to the teeth for protection.  

Damn, musta left my [sarcasm] tags in the wash.

h

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2004, 09:26:48 PM »
Vulcan,

They just don't understand what it must be like to live a daily life without fear. Where the only metal detectors are at airports,your kids can still walk to and from school on their own and you only have one lock on your front door.

...-Gixer

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2004, 09:31:24 PM »
Originally posted by Dune
Because looking the presence of guns in relation to crime without looking at those is just as bad as looking at the numbers without the cause of the numbers.

Want to reduce gun crime?  Reduce the reasons people committ them.  Don't get me wrong, there is a portion of the population that is going to commit crimes no matter what you do.  They lack some part of themselves that the rest of us have.  It has nothing to do with race.  It just is.  However, if the population that surrounds them is living in conditions that make them susceptible to their influcence, the crime rate amoung that segment of the population will be higher.

Saying you're fighting crime by removing guns is the same as saying you're fighting cancer by giving the victim make-up.  On the surface it make look better, but the underlying cause is still there.  And the patient is still dying.

Why do we ask that you look at Switzerland as an example of a country that is armed to the teeth and yet has a low crime rate?  Because it is a homogenious society without many of the ills that plague more diversified countries like the US or the UK.  Countries like New Zealand or Switzerland would have similar crime rates no matter if there weren't any guns or each person over 5 owed 6 of 'em.  

But if you take a country like the UK or Australia and remove guns, are you dealing with the underlying problem?  Of the Jamacian gangs or the unflux of the Asian drug trade?  Nope.  So their crime rates rise or stay the same becuase only the law-abiding citizens have given up their guns.

But guns are big and scawy.  And it's so much easier to blame them for the problem than to actually fix it.  Fools.

Why not look closer to home and compare crime rates of Canada vs US. Canada has strick gun control and a low crime rate, what are the stats on Canada's crime rate and use of guns compared to the US?

Face it, US is a mess with easy access to firearms and probably the worst crime rates in the developed world. Funny how your always talking about freedom, but are you really? Seems yours is the most violent society in the world.

...-Gixer

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2004, 10:18:19 PM »
They just don't understand what it must be like to live a daily life without fear. Where the only metal detectors are at airports,your kids can still walk to and from school on their own and you only have one lock on your front door.

That is so much BS, I do not live in fear, I do not know anyone who does.

I guess if your trying to fool yourself about life in the US your doing a good job.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2004, 11:13:21 PM »
What is really funny is the amount of assumptions people like lazs make to back himself up with little relevant knowledge of the subject. For example, lazs, you have assumed there are no gangs in NZ, where gangs are quite a problem, then theres the Mexican thing, I don't know if you're aware but NZ has one of the largest Pacific Island communities in the South Pacific (ie Samoans, Tongans, etc).

NZ also takes a lot of refugees every year. Our Asian population is quite high, we know have a growing polulation of Somali's, and the middle-east uptake has been rising as well.

Despite what you assume, NZ isn't just a bunch of sheep-shagging middle aged white males.

Firearms are not "forbidden" in NZ, you just have to prove you a) need one  b) understand the risks and responsibilities of owning a firearm   c) are sane and not likely to use a firearm to commit a crime.

Its quite amusing to watch you flop around these ideas lazs. You just don't seem to have any concept of the rest of the world. You can't wrap your head around the fact that other countries aren't as far gone as the US and seem to struggle with the idea of not needing to walk around armed to the teeth.

I on the otherhand understand why the US citizen needs guns, and that the really is no turning back from the path you guys have chosen.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2004, 11:35:35 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Vulcan,

...-Gixer

Oh frikkin Puhleese. I really hope you too have left your sarcasm tags at home because if not you are truly full of it. I'm not even sure WHERE my house keys are and I leave my truck keys in the truck. And it has been like that since I moved here 10 years ago. Don't give me any of that "fortress home" BS.

My kids walked to school when they were here and kids still do that today.

Where the F you live that you can spew such idiocy?

h

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2004, 01:05:55 AM »
Flame bait
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 04:46:43 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2004, 01:19:38 AM »
If it helps to reinforce your imagination, go right ahead and believe that.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2004, 07:45:59 AM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Vulcan,

...-Gixer

Hmmm...that's how me and my family live right now.  And my location is in the US.  How is that possible?  

Growing up, we didn't even lock our doors, and this applied to when we used to go away for the weekends.  We never locked the doors at all.

And your excuse for writing this is because some other guy wrote something you didn't like?  OK.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2004, 08:06:58 AM »
Personal attack
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 04:47:18 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2004, 08:09:32 AM »
Dune
You don't need to imagine anything to make those comments Gixer made.
Anyone could come to the same conclusions just by reading what some Americans have posted in the gun threads over the years, ie...guns reduce crime ...we need guns for protection because of blah blah...

Any member of the public who carries or keeps a gun for protection and isn't in law enforcment is in FEAR of something. It's that simple.

Quote:
"New Zealand or Switzerland would have similar crime rates no matter if there weren't any guns or each person over 5 owed 6 of 'em"

You may know about Switzerland but you know bugger all about NZ. Give every NZer 6 guns and the violent crime stats would go through the roof.You would just be arming the nutters and scumbags and we have got our share of them.With the firearm rules that are in place here they havn't got access to the guns that they would have in the US.

That doesn't mean the rules are overly restictive,there not. There's somewhere near a million guns in public ownership for a poulation of 4 millon.

Excel

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2004, 08:13:01 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
You say you have gangs but that you don't need guns to defend against them and then you say that you can have guns if your royals say it is ok?  you are the one all over the map.   What is your minority population?

You just won't let up on this whole Royal vs. peasant thing will you lazs.

What about your own country's reaction to gun violence?  Let's see, one of your "royals" Ronald Regan gets shot.  What is the very first thing that YOUR government does?

Pass the Brady Bill

Why the question about minority population?  Oh, nevermind...I think I know.

:rolleyes:
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2004, 08:50:53 AM »
Personal attack/Flame bait
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 04:48:02 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2004, 08:53:03 AM »
curval... I didn't bring up minorities... I was told that there was a large minority population in nz... I was asking for clarification.  

but why do you see racism in everyu thing people say?

lazs