Author Topic: Don't get it -- what's wrong with MA?  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Don't get it -- what's wrong with MA?
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2004, 07:10:41 PM »
next week it will read

Roscoroo Lands 8 kills of a B-17G and 3 kills of Arlo in a FW 190 d9
and Recieves the Iron Cross and promoted to the Rank Of Major dolt. :p

Later that nite He buzzes the Tower and ends up on base arrest...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 07:13:13 PM by Roscoroo »
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2004, 09:24:06 PM »
If you werent here 2-3 years ago to experience what gameplay used to be, you will NEVER know what it is you are missing. Unfortunately I feel, it is truely gone forever.

I am in fact glad that you are having fun with todays MA, afterall, they say ignorance is bliss. I am green w/ envy.

Enjoy every second you can, I hear they are planning another advertisement campaigne.  For me, gameplay started a noticable decline right after the last commercial hit, and we started to see a mssive induction of new players facing a high learning curve.

This learning Curve may well in fact be the cause for the "Path of least resistance" tendencies of the new MA. It is not my job to know this answer, but I bet I'm am on the right track.

Anton

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2004, 11:08:24 PM »
LMFAO Roscroo... read all those again last night !!!!!

TOO funnay!!!!

check was held till funds from CON replenished.. now OTW sir.... please read letter.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2004, 11:36:36 PM »
Rgr and thanks I'll Email ya later after i get the snail mail.

now Back to the Whine's (oops i mean the AH bbs)
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2004, 12:08:30 AM »
I have no problem with the MA, never did. I think people who do play too much. No one is going to create a perfect synthetic world.
The new balancing act (ENY) has made squad/country flying less attractive if you like to fly one plane which happens to have a low eny value. But hopping countries fixes that.

But hopefully eny will go away one day-  if not - hop hop hop.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
It's not the MA, it's the changes in AH2
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2004, 01:59:59 AM »
The MA is the MA, it always will be.  Because of the changes to the MA in AH2, players must develop new strategies to over come the challenges in the MA, like, larger, faster restoring towns, more accurate, effective,  ground Ack, a different gun model.  

Not sure what AH is trying to do with the ENY, that may be an attempt to rebalance the sides,  I think everyone here knows someone that has left the game because of the video card issue with AH2.  Perhaps a larger number of Rook or Bishops or Knights left, making the play very lopsided at certain times.  

I think HiTech has rechecked their bottom line and didn’t like what they saw.  That’s the main reason for the change in what many players  considered to be  a  hard line on the part of  Hi Tech,  There  originally position when informed that video cards were not able to handle AH2.  There response to me was , get a new Video card, upgrade your computer or you won’t be able to play the game.  Well many left, not just the few they expected.  So now……………………………………………..

Check out the News from Pyro.   They patched AH2 so you don’t have to invest in a new Video card.  You can use that cheap computer from Dell or Compaq or who ever.  It’s out there right now.  2.01  

The Problem with the MA if you want to address it as a problem is that the new fields, require more resources to attack and capture them.  Missions are becoming more important in the MA if  a side wishes to “Win The War”  or even effectively attack a target and get home alive.  Cooperative play between small squads is even more important now in AH2, then it was in AH.  5 guys attacking an airfield will no longer be effective and it will be next to impossible for them to capture an airfield.  Something that was very common in AH.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2004, 04:20:20 AM »
There is nothing wrong with the MA - it's a typical 'Melee' arena, as we used to call it in AW in latter years.  For me, its a practice arena for the special events as well as a place to simply have fun playing the game.  If you don't take things too seriously - don't get upset when you die - and just enjoy playing, the game will be a lot more enjoyable. :)

Then, when you want a bit more serious play, in more historical settings, either head for the CT (not practical during my timezone) or the SEA and take part in some special events.  If you've never tried one of the events before, maybe try a Snapshot first and if you enjoy the experience, bring along some friends to the next one.  Then you may progress to SquadOps and ultimately Scenarios, which to me are the pinnacle of all special events and the main reason for sticking around since 1998 (here and formerly AW).  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2004, 07:17:35 AM »
AH2 came out with;

--- higher grafic details, i think we lost players that can't aford to buy new hardware
---huge towns hard to kill with the low #s of players , (less than 100/team yesterday , frieday evening 9pmET!!!). This lost the strategic base capture motivation. Many players can't just dogfight untill they puke
----  fuel burning rate
---- for score potatos, the new sistem sux
----after months since AH2 came out, i can't see new planes,gvs

But i think the main reason why is not the same like AH1 is lower #s of players, to bring it back to ''golden days"  we should try to bring in new players (eassy kills,lol)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 07:29:19 AM by ghi »

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2004, 08:43:50 AM »
Originally posted by Flossy
If you don't take things too seriously - don't get upset when you die - and just enjoy playing, the game will be a lot more enjoyable. :)

How easy it is:)
Flossy

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2004, 05:09:13 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
Evolution: (n) A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form.

Devolution: (n) The process of declining from a higher to a lower level of effective power or vitality or essential quality.

You make the call.

Thats the question isnt it....

I prefer the good old days by far, but I also have no real interest in the TOD concept either as a primary form of game play. The MA is more comple and offers more options and diversity than any flight sim I've ever seen....so it is evolving. However the overall "satisfaction index" of game play has devolved for me. Truthfully I like the ENY...but then I'm flying -1 hogs and Ki-61's anyway:)....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2004, 05:15:32 PM »
Adventures of Arlo....

Checks to see if there are any players selecting a mission. Dang ... everyone's in flight. Selects one anyhow and takes off with the AI group. This time Arlo is shot down by an opposing player in a 190 while over the target. Bails out. Is captured.

Arlo escapes from stalag 17 and is "captured" by a group of nuns from the order of the swedish bikini team. Spends the next 4 years teaching them basic english...among other things. Gets a bunch of medals:)

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2004, 07:17:31 PM »
Note that I still think AH2 is an amazing technical achievement. My frustration is that it has so much untapped potential.

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2004, 12:09:58 AM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
The reason Hordes don't often meet is that they're not intended to. The whole point is to gain overwhelming local superiority so you can capture/vultch with the least chance of failure. With bases so close, any attempt at Horde-busting (i.e. a defensive sweep) just gets swallowed up by numbers once the fight drops to around 5K.

Thus the hordes are caused by the underlying game system.  But the most frustrating part of the hordes... one horde can be within a sector of a given country's HQs etc.  and the threatened country's horde.. cares less... and just goes off trying grab land elsewhere ... to the point of attacking the third country... not the one about to overrun the HQs.  And somehow the hordes think this is commendable.  :rolleyes:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2004, 12:28:59 AM »
Originally posted by humble
Adventures of Arlo....

Arlo escapes from stalag 17 and is "captured" by a group of nuns from the order of the swedish bikini team. Spends the next 4 years teaching them basic english...among other things. Gets a bunch of medals:)

I can't wait for TOD. :D

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2004, 09:43:09 AM »
Back in the old days the game was all about air to air combat. In most cases 1 vs 1. Thats what WWII flight sims are about. Then HT lowered his price... was $30 a month back then... he got a big influx of players, mostly from AWIII which was going under. AW already had the relaxed realizum arenas setup for "land grab" and that is what ya did there. If ya want to fly fighters to fight, then ya went to the Full Realizum arenas, but they had low numbers too...much like the old days in AH.

So we have a large influx of player who are one, use to "land grab", and two, who now have a huge learning curve to work thru. Most take the easy way out, and game the game. This is the begining of the end for those "true" fighter pilots who live only for the "fight". Each new influx of players bring "their" game down more, because the newbies learn from what they see the majority of players doing... land grab.

Maybe if there was a large training corps to help the newbies over the rough spots. I know there are a number of folk who DO take the time to train/help players who ask. but I think we need far more. Most training MUST be one on one, and with the numbers climbing like they do there just isn't enough help to go around.

MAybe some of the more vocal players who hate flying in the MA these days should take the time to train new players to want to fly fighters for the joy of the fight, and there by change it back to the way it was  :)