Author Topic: "early war vs ubberville...."  (Read 1789 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
"early war vs ubberville...."
« on: October 28, 2004, 12:45:33 PM »
As we finally (I hope) see new toys begin to roll of the assembly line it seems we have a couple of distinct "player camps". The primary focus for many is the scenario planes. A lot of "we need" plane X for winter 1941 in botsilvania scenario or such. Since I gravitate to the 40+ rides more toys in that range isnt a bad thing. However, since the main gameplay is in the MA I dont think the rank and file gonna salivate over a P-38f or "early 109 g-6".

The 2nd group is looking for new "competitive" rides...Ki-100 & "king cobra" would come to mind...also G-55 or other "late war" italian ride.

I'm wondering about the planes like DO-335 and other "prototype" type or limited use planes. Personally I think there are planes that dont really "qualify" but should be involved...F7F would be my #1 choice. A plane that would dominate the game IMO. Possibly the best piston engine all purpose combat plane ever developed...certainly the F-14 of the 1940's. Would of allowed a multipurpose strike capability far beyond what actually saw combat in WW2.

To me unless a rolling plane set is adopted (not a bad idea) then adding more ubber is better than the early war lumber...just one persons opinion obviously.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 12:57:28 PM »
Might as well have two arenas then.

1939--43 and a 1944-46 that includes the might have beens.

1939-43 keeps out the ubers and would allow for a larger variety of equally performing aircraft.  You'd be elminating the LA7, KI-84, P51s, Tempest, 262,163, Ta152, 190D9, Spit XIV and the late model Jugs, Corsairs, 38s and 109s.  And adding a P39, early model 38, maybe and A36 or P51A as well as maybe an Ki43 and some of the earlier Russian and Italian stuff.

the 44-46 could be the AH Quake 4 SWOTL  arena then :)  Add the Do335, DH Hornet, Meteor, P80, MB5 maybe along with all those maybe Luftwaffe and Japanese birds and unperk all the ubers.

Dan/Slack
who'd fly the 39-43 arena
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 01:01:48 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 01:02:19 PM »
I'd fly in the '39-'43 arena as well.

If it were a '44-'45 arena I'd fly there too sometimes, but if you start adding things like the Do335, Hornet, F7F, Fury and F8F I lose interest real fast.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 01:05:35 PM »
Dan I dont disagree with you at all. I'm tooling around the MA in a Ki-61 having a blast. If the put a curtis hawk out I'd be tooling around in it:)...but realistically in an la-7/D-9/109-G10/P-51/P-38 world how many 1939-1942 rides are you going to see....so if we have 12 new planes over the next set of releases and 10 of em are 1939-1942 85% of the player base won't see em except in the hanger...further alot of the rank and file will probably be disenchanted. We're all waiting for the Ki...now if the "big" news was a P-38F and a 190-A3 ack ack and urchin would be doing cart wheels and the rest of us would be sleeping....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 01:08:52 PM »
I was thinking about it the other day, trying to figure out where and what time in the war was the most balanced in terms of aircraft performance and variety of aircraft and I came up with the Med, meaning North Africa-Sicily-Italy 42-43

You'd have all the Italian birds, along with the Luftwaffe 109s, 190s 110s and medium bombers and Stukas for the Axis.

And you'd have the early A36s 38s, 39s and 40s  for the USAAF as well as the Spit Vs they were flying along with A20s, B25s and B26s and some B17Fs.  The RAF would have Hurri IIs, Spit Vs and a few early IXs along with the P40s they were flying along with Bostons, Beaufighters and the occasional Wellington.

It seems like a time where there was no dominating performer but a lot of planes that could survive against each other if flown well.

Oh well one can dream :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

storch

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 01:26:09 PM »
On a whim two days ago I upped an Mc 202 in the MA during the early morning east coast U.S. time.  I had a blast in it.

Offline xHaMmeRx

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.netaces.org
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 05:21:02 PM »
I've never really understood the adversion to a rolling plane set. I have never played WarBirds, and Air Warrior never did it, but it seems like a good idea. Especially given the robust plane set HiTech has created. Not trying to steal the thread or anything, but could somebody who did not like it explain?

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 06:13:33 PM »
Numbers appear to be creaping up. Right now there is no chance for a second area but if we got up to 600 players again it would be cool to do.

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 06:48:39 PM »
I'd love to have an early-war rotation. Just switch from week to week. Base capture would be quite different without heavy bombers around to soak up damage.

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 07:00:29 PM »
the problem is that ATLEAST 50% of the players want to fly their uber planes all the time. if HTC start doing a RPS thingi you can bet that atleast half of the 50 above will leave.

and i doubt HTC can afford loosing 25% of its costumers.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 07:11:37 PM »
I'd go early war over late war any time.  Except for rare occasions when I need to up a Corsair.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 07:34:58 PM »
Originally posted by xHaMmeRx
I've never really understood the adversion to a rolling plane set. I have never played WarBirds, and Air Warrior never did it, but it seems like a good idea. Especially given the robust plane set HiTech has created. Not trying to steal the thread or anything, but could somebody who did not like it explain?

In WB I was never a huge fan of RPS as I was in a F4u squad, but we adapted and flew F4-F for the 1st week.

In AH they won't even fly a B pony instead of a D, so you can imagine the whining , it would lift the roof. (read the ENY whine threads)

Only way I  could see it working would be in a separate arena, once the numbers get huge in the MA.

Today I would fly it without hesitation, it would be a blast. You might as well call the current MA the late war arena anyway.
I come from a land downunder

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 08:01:17 PM »

To me unless a rolling plane set is adopted (not a bad idea) then adding more ubber is better than the early war lumber...just one persons opinion obviously.

then why stop at 1945? go right to the ATF and F15E. Or even better: X-wing vs. Tie fighter.

A full plane set for a narrow timespan is better than sopwith pup vs F16 areana.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 08:13:08 PM »
Two arenas would be tough to pull off given the way numbers are tailing off as it is. But ... if you did have an early war arena and if you could link the perks between then two, then you could do something like have a 2X perk multiplier in early war as incentive for people to fly there.

Then once you get 3/4 of the player base over there on a regular basis, you can merge the arenas and have RPS.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 09:25:39 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
Two arenas would be tough to pull off given the way numbers are tailing off as it is. But ... if you did have an early war arena and if you could link the perks between then two, then you could do something like have a 2X perk multiplier in early war as incentive for people to fly there.

Then once you get 3/4 of the player base over there on a regular basis, you can merge the arenas and have RPS.

There's a danger in making sense around here Dok :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters