Author Topic: What makes City folk, Democrats and rural fold Republicans?  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
What makes City folk, Democrats and rural fold Republicans?
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2004, 05:51:41 PM »
Originally posted by Fruda
After reading both of my posts, it's very clear to me that I was talking about how bad the conservatives are in this area.

Seems like you're still putting words in my mouth.

And I never said that you were lacking intelligence or vision. Just compassion. You can't possibly think that I was insulting your intelligence with that "smart guy" rip...

No, not the smart guy rip... this one:

Originally posted by Fruda
Open your little mind before you open your mouth.

sorry to be showing you what you wrote.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2004, 06:22:39 PM »
Ok then, forgot about that one.

So I did insult your intelligence --- You completely disregarded the fact that I've lived in this town for 11 years, instead saying (in so many words) that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2004, 06:56:32 PM »
I do not dispute the time you have spent at your current address.  

My attempt at having a discussion with you was on a philosophical rather than a personal level.  I offered an original thought with the bear analogy, and you brought anger, insult and party line talking points into the discussion, although you did not do a very effective job of it.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2004, 06:57:47 PM »
Seems to me that was the whole point of doing what I did.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2004, 06:59:47 PM »
To prove you lived in Houston you went through all that?  You could have just said "Go Rockets"

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2004, 07:03:07 PM »
Yeah, that *always* works.

People who've lived like I do don't tend to care about "being polite" to people who'd stab you in the back if they had the chance, if you know what I mean.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2004, 07:05:10 PM »
No one from Houston will admit it, so Fruda is a poseuer.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2004, 07:11:29 PM »
Heh, good one.

I like the Rockets, but I don't *like* them. They really need to figure out what the hell they're doing.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2004, 07:30:53 PM »
Hilarious rant.

(Warning: foul language) <----- I did that for you Skuzzy! :aok

er... yer gonna need to  replace the **** with, you know, that other word.

Offline stiehl

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2004, 10:42:09 PM »
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 10:44:34 PM by stiehl »

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2004, 01:02:37 AM »
I'd rather shoot myself in the foot, than move out of town.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2004, 09:47:40 AM »
I don’t know that all “conservatives” were born into wealthy families.

The Martinez family, mother and I, started out life with a trash bag full of baby clothes and an old Plymouth.  The first house I can remember living in had lawn furniture in the living room, there was only a stand up shower so baths were given to me in the sink, and the bugs were bad enough that I was scared to sleep in my own room.

By the time I reached grade school mom had a steady job at the IRS, received a HUD loan to buy her first house, and had me in the school lunch program.

In 1990 when I graduated high school the house bought on the HUD loan was now being rented out and I had a partial scholarship to college.

I now have 3 rental properties of my own and my mother goes to Cancun every year after Thanksgiving.

Did we get help, yes, was it permanent no.  Was the plan for us to become self sufficient, of course, and through hard work and time it happened.

Wanting to give someone a lift up is different from being willing to continually give someone a hand out.  I’ve seen too many people that started out with nothing end up with their own businesses and making it by themselves.  I’ve seen friends that got laid off move to different areas to support their family and find work.

Being conservative doesn’t mean that no one gets help it means that no one gets help indefinitely.  It means giving someone the ability to make the hard decisions, nothing in life is easy.  As for the tax cuts, everyone got one and the people who benefited the most where the middle class and below.  Anything else is propaganda for the left.

There are still problems with poverty and how we work with the poverty line.  However, it’s not possible to help 100% of the population all of the time.

Remember it’s the right to pursue happiness, not the right to happiness.  If it means retooling or moving then that’s the price.  Life is about hard decisions and if you’re counting on someone else to guide you through it or hold your hand then you’re in the wrong country.

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2004, 10:50:55 AM »
People in big cities are used to having the government tax others and give them stuff, like housing and mass-tansit.

People in the country are used to having to fend and provide for themselves.

A gross oversimplification? Of course. But still true to a significant extent.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2004, 10:55:52 AM »
exactly true edbert... the people in cities see a problem like homeless or garbage on the street or muggings and they demand that government do something about it so that they won't have to interact with these people...

"For the love of humanity... get these friggin  people out of my sight!"

lazs

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2004, 12:38:28 PM »
"Life is about hard decisions and if you’re counting on someone else to guide you through it or hold your hand then you’re in the wrong country."

I agree, religion is a tad overrated.