Author Topic: Axis Flaps  (Read 4143 times)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Axis Flaps
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2004, 04:46:59 PM »
I agree with your post Virgil but it's a design decision made by HT himself years ago and IMO like the absence of engine overheat he won't change this at least not  soon.

I was about to search some references thread but well I guess you already posted in those :)

I tried the P38 again this afternon after meeting AKAK today it seems I'm able land kills with it now ... I should had a brain cell transfusion last night when sleeping :)

7/2 is not bad concidering one "wife ack" intervention and one head on with a 8" salvo :D

Offline tikky

• Copper Member
Axis Flaps
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2004, 04:54:06 PM »
De-auto retracting flap request will go nowhere because HiTech has already said that... your exact argument applies to a huge volumn of things to AH. All things must be looked at in the context of the gamming enviroment.

PS With the comments from HT in this thread, it seems that he's alreeady made the fateful decision.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Axis Flaps
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2004, 05:00:21 PM »
Originally posted by tikky
De-auto retracting flap request will go nowhere because HiTech has already said that... your exact argument applies to a huge volumn of things to AH. All things must be looked at in the context of the gamming enviroment.

PS With the comments from HT in this thread, it seems that he's alreeady made the fateful decision.
I didnt see in forum rules where it says we cant talk about it anyways.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
Axis Flaps
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2004, 06:28:21 PM »
Kweassa what data do you have that would say it would affect the gameplay negatively?  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and make the assumption that you are assuming people will only game the game if this were to be implemented.

With that said how different would that be than auto level or auto angle (consistantly used by buff pilots so they can jump in a gun), fairly extreme ditching model, 100ft bomber runs without parafrags or delayed fuse devices, radar isolatation to one main control center(HQ), and last but not least kamikaze runs on CVs, Towns, Airbases, Cities, and factories.  Funny that the one thing I find in common with 99% of these items is the player/community and the fact it happens consistantly in the arenas.  Sounds to me the majority of the community already games the game as much as they can.

Exactly how often do you push the limits of the planes in AH2 and accidentally auger?  When's the last time you made a suicide run just to sink a CV?  Same thing with strat killing on the airfields.  Ofcourse though you'd never go beyond the limits imposed to "gain" something and damage your aircraft.

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
Axis Flaps
« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2004, 06:20:58 AM »
Just curious, I've never played WB or AW, don't know if they both had flap damage modelled. Were these games full of people gaming the game with the flap model mentioned here?

I asked a friend that used to work on that "other" flight sim about how that game modeled flaps damage from over speeding/stress and this is what he replied with.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was more like real-world maneuvering speed. In other words, at 251mph (for example, your flaps wouldn't just break off, but they would definately be over-stressed. Any exceedingly stressful maneuver after that, even something as seemingly inoccuous as a dive, would stress them beyond limits and they would break. I'm not even sure they would "break off" as much as
just get stuck down.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be nice if our flaps in AH did the same thing.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Axis Flaps
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2004, 07:39:43 AM »
Sorry, what was the point of this thread?
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Axis Flaps
« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2004, 09:58:58 AM »
Just look at what Ak's saying. Look at what SlapShot is saying, for crying out loud.

They don't care even if it busts their flaps, as long as the flap effects stay constant and they could kill their enemy.

Kwe ... youy couldn't be anymore wrong if you tried. You read something into my statement that wasn't there. You really should have come back and asked for more clarification before assuming my intent.

If I am in a fight and it comes down to overspeeding my flaps to survive, then I will take the chance of having them stuck. This does not mean that if I do overspeed the flaps, I will win instantly and all the time. This is where and what you assumed.

I may get the shot or I may not, that is all left up to me and the decisions I make prior to overspeeding. If I don't get the shot/kill and my flaps are stuck down, I will not be able to effectively fight from that point on and in most instances, I will probably be shot down. That is something that I am willing to risk, intead of the snap/spin/auger consequence.

I have yet to experience in AH II flap damage, but in AH I there were many times that I experienced damage to my flaps while furballing (taking a shot from the rear into the wing with flaps down) and its no piece of cake trying to fly the P-38 with flaps stuck down. You are effectively "out of the fight" when this happens.

I really don't want my flaps to get stuck ... it would be no fun to constantly cause this due to overuse or misuse. I don't like to fly anywhere and then be taken out of the fight due to mechanical failure ... be it radiator hit, engine hit, etc ... so it would not be something I would be doing on a consistent basis.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline iKo

• Nickel Member
Axis Flaps
« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2004, 11:19:48 AM »
Hum Humble just like the good old days huh.. I love seeing these posts from some of the newer younger sim guy’s lol I feel old now.
And I remember always thinking 8 yrs ago it’s the plane not the pilot lol but in time they learn. It’s a pure simple case of ACM and SA. But know one ever believe it. Dam I have been away from it so long I had to brake out the old Robert Shaw for the basics again. Now its like night and day. Back now to being very hard to hit and you better not make a mistake lol all
:aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Axis Flaps
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2004, 02:19:41 PM »
Originally posted by iKo
Hum Humble just like the good old days huh.. I love seeing these posts from some of the newer younger sim guy’s lol I feel old now.

Ummm...some of us have been playing longer than your 8 years :c)

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song