Author Topic: Scissors?! Whats that....  (Read 4656 times)

Offline bigUC

• Nickel Member
Scissors?! Whats that....
« on: July 27, 2001, 11:33:00 AM »
Anyone willing to share the secret of performing good scissors?  I have no clue how it's done and i am too embarrased to ask my squaddies.

I guess it's got something to do with applying rudder (not rubber) - something i rarely do!

I have pedals'n everything, but they are usually just lying in a pile with all the other useless crap under my desk.  Usually only drag them out if i need to land (rarely, thats why i posted this thread).

If there is any use in those pedals i'll nail them to the floor and use them proudly - else they go in the bin when i get a twisting FF stick.  My friends laugh at them, and i have openly been called a "nerd" several times lately - the pedals are often metioned along with that...

Thx in advance  :D
Kurt is winking at U!

Offline DmdStuB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
Well, put very simply, scissors are where a pilot starts a series of turns/reversals in an attempt to force his opponent out in front.  The opponent usually tries to do the same.  It ends up looking like they are both scissoring back and forth.  You really need good situational awareness in order to do it successfully.  Do a search for scissors, rolling scissors or vertical scissors in the forum.  There have been many great discussions on them.

Originally posted by bigUC:
Anyone willing to share the secret of performing good scissors?  I have no clue how it's done and i am too embarrased to ask my squaddies.

I guess it's got something to do with applying rudder (not rubber) - something i rarely do!

I have pedals'n everything, but they are usually just lying in a pile with all the other useless crap under my desk.  Usually only drag them out if i need to land (rarely, thats why i posted this thread).

If there is any use in those pedals i'll nail them to the floor and use them proudly - else they go in the bin when i get a twisting FF stick.  My friends laugh at them, and i have openly been called a "nerd" several times lately - the pedals are often metioned along with that...

Thx in advance   :D

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2001, 12:59:00 PM »
Keep the pedals...
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »
BigUC there are already some good threads on this with graphics posted to show how it's done.  I'd do a search in the Training forum to find them.

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2001, 08:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by bigUC:
Anyone willing to share the secret of performing good scissors?

Here is an example.

There are two ideas at works here, the first one is to reduce your turn radius to its minimum value as shown in the diagram, the other is to get slow to force an overshoot. However, when you get into this situation don't try anything silly to get slow, like cutting the throttle, allow your speed to bleed off naturally by pulling to the edge of the envelope and using flaps. In otherwords make sure you get something for every knot you lose, don't just give it away.

One other tip would be to reverse slightly early at each merge, using the same idea as a lead turn. You should begin your reversal almost before the merge, but that only works if you are winning the scissors, if you are overshooting, it can be disastrous  :)

Lastly, know your aircraft, and never scissor one capable of pulling a tighter turn (smaller turn radius) because the diagram above shows the effect this has on the fight.

If you think the other aircraft can beat you in a scissors, turn into him the first time, but then don't reverse, do a zero g extension and hope you can get out of guns range before they complete their reversal. Chances are that if they were really committed to the scissors, they may have lost enough energy to let you escape, but maybe not, it depends on a lot of things you can assess pretty quickly in the heat of the moment once you get some experience.

The good news is that aircraft that aren't good in a scissors, because of a higher wing loading perhaps, are normally able to extend better for that very reason.  

Good luck with that...

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Dwarf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2001, 11:33:00 AM »
What Badboy has diagrammed, is a kind of running, one circle fight situation that is not too likely to ever occur in practice.  NOT, strictly speaking, a scissors.

Note the starting positions.  One or both aircraft would, most likely, continue circling in the direction of its original break, not reverse as shown.  Typically, Blue would opt for a one circle fight, while Red, being faster, would try for a two circle fight.  Without prior agreement between the two pilots, the diagrammed action probably won't occur.

The situation most likely to call for a scissors is when you detect a hostile aircraft in your rear quarter with overtake and your altitude is too low to permit you to break-turn and disengage.  If you don't at least spoil his aim you're dead.

Timing is the secret here.  You have to pretend not to see him until he's so close that he can't simply turn inside your original break and nail you then.  A quick roll, followed by a short, sharp pull, followed by a low G extension while watching his reaction.  As soon as he rolls and pulls to follow, and you see his nose start to swing in your direction, you do it again, reversing across his flightpath.  By the time he can react and reverse to follow, you are already in your next extension.

What this does is force him out of phase and out of plane with you.  Depending on how much E he is willing to bleed, he will either be forced out in front, or fall farther and farther behind.

Done correctly, after no more than 3 or 4 "snips" of the scissors, he's either been forced out in front, or has become so hopelessly out of phase (and plane) that he breaks off.  Ideally, you time each "snip" of the scissors so that he must remain loaded up, and bleeding E at all times, while you have some interval of no/low loading during each "snip".  Red's flightpath resembles a series of arcs, Blue's, a series of zig-zags.  If Red's arcs are shallow, he is forced out in front.  If they're deep, he's bleeding lots of E and  remains in Blue's rear quarter, but at ever increasing ranges.  With luck, the E states become reversed.  

Depending on the overall situation at that point, either let him go, or pull back into him and become the attacker yourself.

Dwarf

[DOH - had the colors reversed.  They're correct now]

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Dwarf ]

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
Badz's diagram fits it perfectly.

I see this sort of fight very often at low level, strictly in the horizontal plane, and it's a classic 190/P51 tactic.

None the less, it's important to realise that it can be done in the vertical too, in a series of dives and climbs in exactly the same manner.

Again, the idea is to use quick rolls to change direction with the aim of chopping a bit off the other guys circle at every switch. This type of fight is usually dominated by the plane with the highest roll rate, and it's important to remember that roll rate changes with speed.

And the answer to your original question is that to perform this effectivly you will need some kind of rudder control, and pedals are generally accepted as giving better control than twisty sticks.

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Seeker ]

Offline Dwarf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2001, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Seeker:
Badz's diagram fits it perfectly.

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Seeker ]

Sorry.  Disagree.

Badboy's diagram shows a fight where Red is repeatedly trying for a two circle fight and Blue won't let him have it.  It resembles a scissors only becuse the flightpaths cross repeatedly, but it's really just a running one circle fight.

In the diagrammed situation, Blue knows he has a turn radius advantage and uses it to offset Red's better E retention given relatively neutral starting positions.  Red knows about the radius advantage also, and keeps trying to create a two circle fight that is more to his own advantage.  Blue simply doesn't cooperate and drills him thru the brainbucket anyway.  Both aircraft continually spend E.  Thus the result of the fight is entirely dependent on the rates at which each aircraft bleeds E, and reduces turn radius.  The greater E bleeder will always win as long as he can get to a guns solution before falling below corner speed.

The fight proceeds as diagrammed, because Red isn't paying attention at either of the crossovers.  If he were he would (hopefully) simply extend.  By the time Blue could haul his nose around and get guns-on, Red should be out of range and have  superior E besides.

A situation calling for a scissors is one where the starting position greatly favors one aircraft.  Both in terms of position and E state.  The target attempts to "scissor" (zig-zag) while forcing the attacker to fly a series of arcs.  The object of the exercise is for the target to conserve E and create space while forcing the attacker to continually spend E, and lose position.

Study the diagram carefully.  Both aircraft reverse at crossover.  That is what makes this a running one circle fight.  Each crossover is a natural result of what both aircraft did at the previous crossover.  (Red commits suicide by not breaking off.)

In a scissors, it is the reversal of the target (leading) aircraft that creates the crossover.  Until he reverses, the flightpaths do not recross. (Unless the attacker overturns).

Recapping:  

In the diagram, both aircraft start with relative parity.  Both are attackers.  Blue forces a one circle fight when Red wants a two circle fight.  Red is stubborn (or clueless) rather than smart.  Both aircraft continue downrange as a result.  The fight ends when Blue has achieved enough of a position advantage to make the kill.  Both aircraft burn E at all times.  Results are largely dependent on relative aircraft capabilities.

In a scissors, one pilot starts with an advantage and the other pilot attempts to create (at least) parity. Until the target pilot reverses, (and forces the next crossover) the flightpaths do not recross.  No crossover is a direct result of a previous crossover.  Usual result is both pilots live to fight another day.  Relative aircraft capabilities mean little.  Target gets a minor win by staying alive.  He achieves a major win if he pulls off the E reversal.

In a scissors fight, the target pilot conserves E and the attacker is forced to continually spend it.  The outcome of a scissors fight is largely dependent on relative pilot (not aircraft) capabilities.

Dwarf

[ 07-29-2001: Message edited by: Dwarf ]

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2001, 02:41:00 PM »
Hi Folks

Long time no see!

I have to side with Badboy on this one. His diagram does show a typical in-plane scissors series of reversals with the aircraft with the smaller turn radius taking advantage of a lead turn to finish the fight.

Dwarf: You've used a lot of terms there that don't quite fit. In the drawing, there is no indication that I can see that Red wants a two circle fight. You also throw in the term "corner"...CV has no place in a scissors discussion. This is a slow speed fight, usually flown way below CV. But you are correct in one thing...the classic in-plane scissors is a drawn out one circle fight in a manner of speaking...although we would not describe it that way.

One last thing...this is again an "in-plane" type of scissors...not to be confused with a "rolling" scissors.

Andy

Offline Dwarf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2001, 03:51:00 PM »
OK, let's take these one at a time.

Originally posted by Andy Bush:

Dwarf: You've used a lot of terms there that don't quite fit. In the drawing, there is no indication that I can see that Red wants a two circle fight.

Then why does he reverse at the first cross?  Beginning on the right side of the diagram, the aircraft are on, neutral and converging paths.  They initially pull into each other.  Both reverse after the crossover.  Blue is obviously in an E bleeder, and can be expected to get a tighter radius turn from the beginning.  Red's only hope, if he stays engaged is to make a two circle fight of it.

Either Red knows this and has reversed to make a two circle fight of it, but hasn't paid enough attention to what Blue is doing, or he isn't aware of Blue's turn radius advantage, and foolishly believes he can win a one circle fight.

In order to begin to explain why the fight proceeds as diagrammed, you need a rational explanation for why each pilot did what the diagram shows.  Blue has no reason to reverse on his own.  If both aircraft maintain their current turns, he gets the one circle fight that favors him in this matchup.  Thus, Red must have reversed first and Blue reverses to deny him the two circle fight he's trying to achieve.

You also throw in the term "corner"...CV has no place in a scissors discussion. This is a slow speed fight, usually flown way below CV. But you are correct in one thing...the classic in-plane scissors is a drawn out one circle fight in a manner of speaking...although we would not describe it that way.

OK, where is it chiseled in stone that you can't scissor if you're bounced at higher speeds?

From the turn radii explicit in the diagram, the speed of this engagement has to be above CV.  From the outcome, it has to have concluded before Blue's speed dropped below CV and his turn rate started decreasing.

One last thing...this is again an "in-plane" type of scissors...not to be confused with a "rolling" scissors.

Andy

Yup, it's "in-plane" alright.  Although, as diagrammed, both planes should be making some effort to get "out-of-plane" at crossover.

Given the diagram, there can be no doubt about the outcome of this fight.  Blue will always win (unless he can't hit the broadside of a barn), because his aircraft turns the tighter circle.  The whole thing is predetermined as long as the two aircraft remain "in-plane" and continue to reverse back into each other.  Red's only hope is to bug out as soon as he sees that Blue isn't going to let him make a two circle fight of it.

If you're an attacker with advantage, there is no need to scissor, and every reason not to.  There are umpteen other, less risky,  things you can do to make the kill.  Scissoring is one way a defender has to convert a bad situation into something better, and would only be initiated by someone in a desperate situation.

Therefore, a scissors fight does not start from a neutral position and is determined by pilot skill and timing, not the capability of the aircraft.  Either pilot could win the scissors fight.  The defender wins if his timing is even close to spot-on.  The attacker wins if it isn't.

The object of the scissor, is to force your opponent to remain in a constantly loaded condition while you spoil his aim and buy time and space to create a reversal. (zig-zag) If you're in an E bleeder, you'll never do that by keeping your aircraft constantly loaded as well. (Fly arcs)

In a scissoring fight, the opponents do not cooperate to simultaneously reverse as in the diagram.  The scissoring pilot times his moves to his opponent's responses.  Not making his next reversal until the opponent has fully committed to responding to this one.

For all of these reasons, I maintain that the diagram does not depict a scissors fight, but a running one circle fight between one pilot that knows what he's doing (Blue), and another pilot who is basically clueless.

Dwarf

there... I think the formatting is right now and it says what I mean.  Pick it apart   ;)

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2001, 04:40:00 PM »
Leon

You were right.

Good grief!

Andy

Offline Dwarf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2001, 06:09:00 PM »
C'mon, Andy, we both know that just because the flightpaths cross and recross, that doesn't "make" it a scissors.

If the fight is as slow as you think, why are the turn radii so large?

The fact that similar fights are seen in the arena and the participants call them "scissor fights" doesn't mean they really are either.

If a scissors is done properly, you could be flying a lead sled and still force a Zeke out if front if he stayed engaged.

If Red is attempting to scissor, (and therefore controlling the action), he's doing a very poor job of it.  If Blue is the one scissoring, why is Red remaining in the fight?  He can't win given the capabilities of both aircraft.

In a true scissors fight, one pilot is initiating (controlling) and the other pilot is reacting.  There is always a shape, phase, and magnitude difference in the two tracks.  That is not the case here.  The diagrammed fight looks superficially like a scissors but really isn't.

Dwarf

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2001, 06:53:00 PM »
Leon

You were right.

Good grief!

Andy

I hear ya Andy!

Cripes Dwarf all this guy wanted was an illustration of a scissors manuever so that he could understand it better. A couple guys came in and do that for him and Badz even posts a nice picture of what one might look like and here you come confusing the hell out of the issue!

This wasn't an illustration of a fight from the merge--its just ONE manuever! That's all.

The flat scissors as defined in Shaws Air Combat:

"The flat scissors is actually a series of nose-to-nose turns and overshoots performed by two fighters essentially in the same manuever plane, each pilot attempting to get behind the other."

You can find that on page 82 of the copy you'll prolly have to go buy <g> and there's even a nice illustration at the bottom of the page that strangely looks an awful lot like Badz's. How about that? (If you look on page 89 there's a nicer one of a typical rolling scissors too)

Guess Shaw has it all wrong too. Tell us about it.

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2001, 07:55:00 PM »
Drano

Spot on!

Andy

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2001, 08:02:00 PM »
Drano

Spot on!

Andy

:)  The Badboy has taught more people than I can count about ACM. Glad to say I'm one of his diciples. <S>

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group