Author Topic: Airbus 380 -- Another Concorde?  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Airbus 380 -- Another Concorde?
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2004, 05:46:33 PM »
One thing those boarding time numbers assume is that there will be a single point of entry for boarding the plane.  Most literature about the A380 and other SuperJumbos show two more more embarkation points, a technique that should improve load times significantly, if the airport is rigged to allow for it.

I would think most modern airports could easily do this by assigning two gates to a plane and just maneuvering the other jetway to service the other end of the plane.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2004, 06:03:04 PM »
But all it takes is one person to stop at the end of the jetway and look around in a daze for a few moments to gum up the works.  Add 1 hr to your airport time to disembark 555 people.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2004, 08:04:46 PM »
Originally posted by Monk
Where would you put the 1000 PAX.  Frankfurt has 1 position that can fit the A380, but the gate isn't big enough.  I wonder how many other airports are able to support the A380?

Most major airports should have their A380 plans already under way. Sydney KFS has major works beginning immediately after Christmas, which should run for about the next year+1/2 after having most of the prep work commenced six months ago.

Originally posted by Chairboy
One thing those boarding time numbers assume is that there will be a single point of entry for boarding the plane.  Most literature about the A380 and other SuperJumbos show two more more embarkation points, a technique that should improve load times significantly, if the airport is rigged to allow for it.

I would think most modern airports could easily do this by assigning two gates to a plane and just maneuvering the other jetway to service the other end of the plane.

Depends on the current config of the bay/air bridge. Multi airbridges would most likely service through both sides of the nose and the bay specifically made capable for that purpose.

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2004, 05:46:50 AM »
An even better thought...imagine what 50 A380s in formation flight would look like..........

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2004, 06:41:04 AM »
...levelling entire cities with their wake turbulence.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2004, 01:02:35 AM »
Looks like there's few very very bitter guys in US who sees Airbus as a real antichrist... LOL

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2004, 01:21:26 AM »
show Christ some respect you athiest
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2004, 02:09:36 AM »
Originally posted by Yeager

The guy got stuck to a fencepost, c'mon, that's embarrasing.

Back to the Airbus, economic forces (as always) will determine the success or failure of the technology.  Even if they're subsidized by some of the european governments, they'll have to prove themselves in the long term to succeed.  The scale of international air traffic is such that they just HAVE to make money, or the dollar (euro?) tree will wither and die.  Look at the Concord, it was subsidized, and the fleet never grew to the levels needed to make a serious stab at international travel.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2004, 05:32:04 AM »
Originally posted by Yeager

Why?

...-Gixer

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2004, 08:50:53 AM »
An old Captain once voiced this adage everytime we ran into a delay:

Time to spare? Go by air! More time yet? Take a jet!

I think that ought to be put on a banner and hung over the A380's gates. Cod... the thought of loading and unloading 1000 pax in this day and age of airline security and baggage checks.

"Sir, preparations for a goatrope of cosmic proportions are complete!"

"Exxxxcellllent! Announce the boarding of the A380!"
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2004, 09:13:22 AM »
Ah, but the question for each airline is "schedule".

Will the customer flying from Timbuktu to Shangri-la pick the A380 on Zippy Airways if the time from check-in to the taxi stand is 2-3 hours longer than the same trip on Timesaver Air Lines B-777?

It'll be a factor, along with fares and amenities.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline hawker238

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2004, 09:28:02 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Ah, but the question for each airline is "schedule".

Will the customer flying from Timbuktu to Shangri-la pick the A380 on Zippy Airways if the time from check-in to the taxi stand is 2-3 hours longer than the same trip on Timesaver Air Lines B-777?

It'll be a factor, along with fares and amenities.

I'd still say yes.  When shopping for tickets online (how we usually do it, not sure if its 100% common), we look for cheap.  I doubt 90% of people even know about the 380 and that it might take longer to board.  They do know their ticket to Kiev is 15% cheaper than on the B-777.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2004, 09:28:35 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
99.9% of all people have more time than money, and that's who the airlines get most of their revenue from. The point of these aircraft: deliver one person from A to B in the most cost effective way possible. Adding an hour or two to an 11 hour flight is something 99.9% of all people will find preferable to adding $$$ to the fare.

I can only speak for myself and my experience and the answer is no.

I used to fly from Boston to Hong Kong ALOT.  I had plenty of choices of how to get there.

Boston to LA to HK, Boston to SF to HK, or Boston to Chicago to HK (and some other Canadian options as well).

I always chose the Boston to Chicago to HK route because it cut out about 2 or 3 hours of my total travel time (about 13 or so hours in the air from Chicago to HK) even though it was more expensive.

I was always under the impression that it was the business traveler that usually footed most of the bill for the airlines.  I don't know about you, but most business travelers I've met do not have more time than money.  To them, time is money.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2004, 10:20:57 AM »
because
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2004, 10:23:05 AM »
10 screaming kids around me are enough, who would want to multiply that by another 10.