Author Topic: A plea to the larger squads.......  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: A plea to the larger squads.......
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2004, 04:26:50 PM »
Originally posted by rshubert
As a duly appointed Squadron Commander and Horde Supervisor, I feel qualified to respond to this post.

No.

Shubie

CO, Birds of Prey 69th Peregrines
XO, Birds of Prey

And this is quite possibly everything that is wrong with the game right now.  Those with the power to do something about gameplay have a responsibility to the community and to the good of the game to do so.  Being a squad CO and the leader of a large squad, you could very easily plan your ops to lessen the gameplay killing effects of the horde and actually at the same time increase your countries ability to take bases by spreading your forces out more effectively.  I mean, what could be better?  You guys could kill more toolsheds, take even more bases, gameplay would be better, the horde would be less of a problem and all would be better in the skies of AH.  Then again, it's your choice.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: A plea to the larger squads.......
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 11:01:38 AM »
Originally posted by Stang
And this is quite possibly everything that is wrong with the game right now.  Those with the power to do something about gameplay have a responsibility to the community and to the good of the game to do so.  Being a squad CO and the leader of a large squad, you could very easily plan your ops to lessen the gameplay killing effects of the horde and actually at the same time increase your countries ability to take bases by spreading your forces out more effectively.  I mean, what could be better?  You guys could kill more toolsheds, take even more bases, gameplay would be better, the horde would be less of a problem and all would be better in the skies of AH.  Then again, it's your choice.

Not to mention that it would actualy give the squaddies something fun to do instead of flying in circles after everything has been plowed down seeing who can do the best Sylvester impressions. :D
  For some strange reason someone is conspicuously missing from this thread.
  T`is OK, I`ll keep Fishin. :D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
A plea to the larger squads.......
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2004, 07:14:39 AM »
At least in the horde the "team" can do something. I'm getting pretty frustrated at logging on, finding the rooks getting creamed, hunting for a place to fly with some semblance of effectiveness, and logging off in disgust.

At least on Sunday nights the rooks can get soemthing done. 'Course, my frame rate keeps me form being part of the horde, so I actually DO go elsewhere to fight those nights....
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Stone

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2004, 10:03:09 AM »
What I`m talking about here is anywhere from 2 to 3 full dar bars on one friggin base. Noobs or horde masters would see a squad mission going to a base, then run another mission hot on it`s tail.
Monday night, same thing. The FHs, BHs, VHs, ord, troops, dar, outhouses, town, rabbits, wildlife, everything down and still a mass swarm.

Im glad im not the only one that noticed this. I am wondering what happend to this game, and when it happened.

When the game was 5 days in a row with either no enemy or 5 v 50 enemy, all high, zooming in from outer space HO after HO in big numbers I just had enough :(

And whats the deal with killing FH? Don't people want to fight other planes? Is this not a flight simulator any more?

What is the point of 10-20 planes chasing one enemy? Is that a good fight?

Well I deleted my account for now, and try to play H2H untill somthing positive happends with this game.

I just can't understand why in a Flight Simulator the main interest suddenly is in vulching, camping, killing FH and hording?

I used to think there is not enough missions going on, but now I dont know what to think about that.

If takeing bases, vulching and hording is the main point, this is not a flight sim IMO any more...

Maybe the scoring system should be changed?

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2004, 10:15:27 AM »
I think a greater solution than cutting back the horde is to broadcast its possition on CH200 and challenge an enmey horde to deffend against it.

a horde meeting another horde provides one fo the best, most enjoyable dogfights around.

1 on 1s are great, possibly the best fun to have here.

But there is nothing quite the same as two massive flights hitting each other at a predetermined point.

When people change their game plan from taking bases to creating fights, then we might see a change.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline SCDR

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2004, 10:18:23 AM »
Originally posted by Stone
Is this not a flight simulator any more?

This is directly from HTC web page:
"Aces High takes the art and science of vintage WWII air combat
and sets it in an online high intensity environment
where hundreds of players can battle it out with and against
each other.  High fidelity air combat is the heart of Aces High,
but it doesn't end there.  In addition to flying a multitude of
aircraft types, players can also man vehicles, boats, amphibs,
gun batteries, and ships.  It's the most diverse virtual arsenal
available to players in this genre and it's constantly growing
through frequent updates.  In the air, on land, and at sea, the
battle rages 24 hours a day with participants from around the
world."
I'ld say it's a WWII combat sim, that leans towards flight more than anything else.

SCDR

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: A plea to the larger squads.......
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2004, 12:25:39 PM »
Originally posted by rshubert
As a duly appointed Squadron Commander and Horde Supervisor, I feel qualified to respond to this post.
No.

Shubie

CO, Birds of Prey 69th Peregrines
XO, Birds of Prey

LOLOLOL These guys have got to be Bish.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Mystic2

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theunforgivenweb.com
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2005, 09:08:26 AM »
As a member of ~~The Unforgiven~~ and newly appointed XO of the new wing, I want to reply to this post.  We are a fairly large squad, and we do the occasional horde tactic, but over all we train alot in NOE base capture missions.  I am not going into great detail, but we find great satisfaction in capturing bases with very little damage to the actual base itself.  Dont get me wrong, we do enjoy the occasional furball,  but we also getting together as a squad and having fun.  After all, thats what its all about.... right?  

Mystic2
XO ~~The Unforgiven TW~~:aok
FSO Setup CM
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"LIVE FREE, DIE WELL"

mystic2@ahevents.org

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2005, 09:13:52 AM »
hordes are ok... they allow the players who don't have a joystick or even a tiny bit of hand eye coordination like shubie to be able to be noticed and feel part of the game.

lazs

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2005, 10:23:55 AM »
I know I'm a n00b (of sorts). But....
I don't get what the argument is about.

Aces High has a built in overlying scenario... Capture the base. A horde can capture a base better than one or two fighters on their own.

How about, instead of trying to convince the "horde" to not "horde" in, convince your own countrymen that that huge bar-dar needs some attention?

A part of the reason the "horde" is such a big problem is, even when someone spots it AS ITS TAKING OFF and with plenty of warning, NO ONE helps in defense. So the 3 or 4 kind souls who actaully paid attention to the multiple "Large numbers of bombers and fighters, upping 11 heading A6" calls, get slaughtered, becuase those 3 guys were defending against a "large number" (which in at least one case  last night amounted to 8 fighters and 6 17/24 groups).

You're not playing a 1 v 1 online flight sim. You can use the HtH option, or dueling arena for that. The Main Arena is a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER area, and so therefore, you have a "massive" amount of players, styles, and personalities to account for. You now have the possibility of intelligent wingmen to fly with, and attempt to thwart attacks or create your own. If the idea was nothing but A2A duels, HT would never have made bases, troops, VH, HQ, etc, etc, etc, captureable and destructable.

Again, maybe my misunderstanding is because I'm "born again new" so to speak. But even in beta you'd have big groups attacking one place. It was just more common that a competing group would up to help take them down. Now, everyone always seems to be off doing their own thing.
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2005, 10:33:00 AM »
the only smart and meanigful and realistc way to play AH is for everyone to join the country with the highest numbers..  then everyone could be part of the mission to take all the deserted bases and get to be part of the win... real war you don't take chances!!

lazs

Offline Stone

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2005, 10:53:09 AM »
Well then, any one know a good flight sim?

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2005, 01:12:37 PM »
Originally posted by Knite
I know I'm a n00b (of sorts). But....
I don't get what the argument is about.

Aces High has a built in overlying scenario... Capture the base. A horde can capture a base better than one or two fighters on their own.

How about, instead of trying to convince the "horde" to not "horde" in, convince your own countrymen that that huge bar-dar needs some attention?

OK, let me try to splain it Lucy.
  I have nothing against base capture or squad ops. As a matter of fact I think they are great. The attack is what winds my clock in the game , so to speak. (Well actualy what I like the most is attack as a matter of defense. In other words , deny the enemy by counter attack , etc.)
  What I am speaking of here is , simply put, overkill. 2 to 3 or more full dar bars hitting one base. This ,IMHO, basicaly stops gameplay for both teams in question. After the first mass run , everything at that base is down, so it stops activity at that base. It leaves the attacking team flying around in circles over the base doing their best standup comedy on vox until a goon arrives because there is nothing else to do. On the other hand it leaves the opposing team very little choice also. It`s sort of hard to mount a counter attack from a distant base to fight 2 to 3 dar bars hovering over the base like God 6.
  Normaly while this is being done by one team you can look around on the map and see the opposing team doing the same somewhere else. It`s like a snowball rolling down hill headed for hell ( sorry Merle). :D
  What makes an attack a blast is the battle that it produces. If the attack is so large it can`t be defended against, no battle, no fun for either side.
  As far as your statement about not convincing the horde not to horde, but instead convince your countrymen the horde needs some attention.......well just scroll up and I think you might find the answer to that.
  What I am asking for is the larger squads, with multiple wings, to use a little discretion on their squad nights. Just disperse missions, etc. to  numerous bases instead of everyone piling on the same bus and going to happy town for the carnival.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 01:14:38 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2005, 01:42:06 PM »
HTC aint gonna make any changes to the "Horde" that doesn't come with $$$ attached.  Think about it... the Horde is what brings home HTC's bacon.  Simple equation really.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2005, 01:50:32 PM »
Originally posted by Tumor
HTC aint gonna make any changes to the "Horde" that doesn't come with $$$ attached.  Think about it... the Horde is what brings home HTC's bacon.  Simple equation really.

Not asking HT to make any changes. As stated before, no matter what HTC does, when it all boils down to the nitty gritty it`s up to the players to decide how the game is going to shake out.
  IMHO the more the merrier as far as player numbers goes. Every once in a while we just need to offer up some different views on how things play out ingame.