Author Topic: A Few Questions before I move to AH  (Read 937 times)

Offline sradel

• Zinc Member
A Few Questions before I move to AH
« on: January 06, 2005, 06:01:09 PM »
Hello All
I currently fly Fighter Aces’s and I am getting tired of the way they are doing things. So a few questions before I become a convert.

1. I can not find any information on what planes are available to what countries. Are they all available to all countries at the same time? I prefer limited plane sets if possible. Or better yet rolling plane sets that change over time. Other wise I have seen no incentive to fly the early planes when all the uber planes are available.  

2. Are the physics toned down in some arenas? Or are they all set to realistic? I prefer as much realism as possible.

3. I see that you can submit new skins. Does this mean that skins with squadron marking are acceptable as long as they are realistic?

4. Are there out of cockpit views available? I would prefer that they weren’t, but can live with this one.

5. How does the map work? Can you see all your enemy location on the map? I would not care for this one. I don’t mind a target loc, but having a little arrow pointing at the nearest enemy or all the locations of the enemy on the map would kind of annoy me.

6. Are the plane sets available on carriers realistic?

7. Can I get an idea on what you guys think on not using real countries? How does this affect game play? This is one of the reasons I and a bunch of friends have not joined in the past. Seemed kind of hockey to fly for a country called the Bishops. But I am very open to comments on this one.

8. Is there more than one map in play at the same time?

9. If any one out there has played Fighter Aces I would like to know how they compare the two games.

10. And last is information. Does Aces High keep you appraised on what they are doing to improve the game, Such as upcoming fixes or new features? Trying to get any information from Fighter Aces is almost impossible. They will ignore any questions posted on these subjects in the forums.

Thanks for any information any one can shed on these questions and sorry for the long post. I will continue to dig through the forums.

Gunfighter

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Re: A Few Questions before I move to AH
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 07:20:28 PM »
Welcome to AH II!!

Originally posted by sradel
Hello All
I currently fly Fighter Aces’s and I am getting tired of the way they are doing things. So a few questions before I become a convert.

1. I can not find any information on what planes are available to what countries. Are they all available to all countries at the same time? I prefer limited plane sets if possible. Or better yet rolling plane sets that change over time. Other wise I have seen no incentive to fly the early planes when all the uber planes are available.  

In the Main Arena, yes, all planes available,  except that 1) the uber rides have to be purchased with Perk Points. You earn Perk Points by shooting down enemy planes, ground vehicles, and blowing things up. 2) If the arena is imbalanced with too many players in any one country for fair play, the plane become limited for that country.

In the Combat Arena the planes are country limited.

2. Are the physics toned down in some arenas? Or are they all set to realistic? I prefer as much realism as possible.

All full realism. The Training Arena has extra training aids turned on like lead computing bomb sites.

3. I see that you can submit new skins. Does this mean that skins with squadron marking are acceptable as long as they are realistic?

Historically accurate, yes.

4. Are there out of cockpit views available? I would prefer that they weren’t, but can live with this one.

Only for multi crew planes like a B-17, to simulate the info a pilot would be getting from his crew.

5. How does the map work? Can you see all your enemy location on the map? I would not care for this one. I don’t mind a target loc, but having a little arrow pointing at the nearest enemy or all the locations of the enemy on the map would kind of annoy me.

Only enemy within a base's local radar range, a radius of 12.5 miles.  Assuming the radar has not been destroyed. You are given a "dar bar' that indicates how many enemy planes  are within a sector, but they only show on it if above 200 feet agl.

Yes. Limited to only carrier planes. If you are good though you can land a B-17 on a carrier.

7. Can I get an idea on what you guys think on not using real countries? How does this affect game play? This is one of the reasons I and a bunch of friends have not joined in the past. Seemed kind of hockey to fly for a country called the Bishops. But I am very open to comments on this one.

Flying for the Bishops is hokey !!

Go Rooks!

Seriously, it's fine. If you want to fly for a two country game with plane sets limited to that country by history, there is the Combat Arena. Historical maps, limited planes. Also Special Events are as close to historical as possible.

Only one map per arena. But you can choose from the Main Arena, Combat Arena, Training Arena, Dueling Arena.

9. If any one out there has played Fighter Aces I would like to know how they compare the two games.

Never played FA, I'm an old Air Warrior.

10. And last is information. Does Aces High keep you appraised on what they are doing to improve the game, Such as upcoming fixes or new features? Trying to get any information from Fighter Aces is almost impossible. They will ignore any questions posted on these subjects in the forums.

Yes to limited extent. No developer wants to create unrealistsic expectations. AH has already done that with the pre-mature announce of TOD (Tour of Duty).  That was a long time ago and we have yet to see it. They do a good job of communicating most of the time. It could be better, but that takes time away from coding and fixing bugs.

Thanks for any information any one can shed on these questions and sorry for the long post. I will continue to dig through the forums.

Gunfighter

I suggest you sign up for the two week free trial then go to the Training Arena. There are dedicated Trainers there who will get  you going.

Again, Welcome to AHII

Skuzzy, you should copy this to the AHII Help FAQ page. They are good questions.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 07:35:07 PM by MOSQ »

Offline -MZ-

• Nickel Member
Re: A Few Questions before I move to AH
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 07:35:05 PM »
Originally posted by sradel

I haven't been able to play for a few weeks but I will give it a shot...

>>>>
>>>

There are (usually) 5 arenas in AH.
- Main Arena:  3 Generic countires, everyone gets to fly any plane, except for certain unbalancing planes like the 262 and Tempest that must be earned with perk points which you then risk when you fly it.  This is the most popular arena by far and can hold over 700 people.

- Combat Theater:  Ususally 2 countries with a historic plane set up and (I think) shorter view and radar ranges.  This is for people who like limited plane sets and can't bear the thought of a Corsair fighting a Mustang.

- Training Arena:  For training, guns cause limited damage, lead-computing gunsights available, etc.

- Dueling Arena:  fields set up for duels.

- Special Events:  This is for things like Historic Scenarios, Squad Operations, and other special events.  Click the banner ad above.

>>>
>>>

Most of our real-life pilots say AH has a realistic flight model.

Some parts of it are up to the user.  You can set the following:
- 'Auto take off' lets you avoid fighting torque going down the runway and retracts your gear.
-'Stall Limiter' generally prevents the plane from entering high speed stalls (I think).  Just about everyone leaves this setting *off*.  Having it on might prevent some spins and crashes for a newbie but it will make you less competitive.
- 'Combat Trim'  lets the computer manage your trim settings.  I usually leave this on, unless I am flying certain planes like the P-38 that are susceptible to compression.
-  There are lots of autopilot options that are not necessarily realistic but this allows you to get up during a long climb out and gives the game a good beer/mission ratio.

I know that FA has monkeyed with flight models to 'balance' their Nations at War arena, something like that would never happen in AH, and players around the world bring historic research to HTC so they can make the models as accurate as possible.

>>>
>>>

Must be realistic to be considered for use on the server and subject to approval by HTC, check the skinning forum for the policy.   All squads can place their own custom nose-art on planes after submitting it to HTC.

>>>
>>>

Only for bombers, or if you are watching a film of a previous flight.  Fighters do *not* get external views.

>>>
>>>

There is a general indication of the amount of friendly and enemy planes in each 25x25 mile sector.   This is important for finding someone to fight and is indicated by colored bars.  Big red bar = lots of enemies in that sector.

Close in to bases, assuming the local radar is undamaged, you will get 'dots' that indicate the positions of friendly and enemy planes.  You can also set custom icon and radar colors for squadmembers or wingmen so you can find them quickly.

These settings are changed for special events, which usually have no radar at all.  But in those situations you have an assigned mission are not just cruising around looking for a fight.

>>>
>>>

In the main arena, only CV-capable planes can take off from a CV.
In the combat theater or special events, there are more restrictions on what planes can use them.

>>>
>>>

It doesn't affect game play.  You see, in the main arena, Aces High (and FA, WB, AW) aren't really WW2 simulations, they are aircombat games with WW2 aircraft.  Yes in AH, hellcats will sometimes be fighting against spitfires, yaks, or even other hellcats, but this adds variety for me.  If you are interested in a plane, it is fun to take it out to see how it does against non-historic adversaries.  Country-limited plane sets (to me anyway) get stale fast.  I can only fight Spits vs. 109/190s so many times.

If you insist on, say, only flying your 109s vs. spitfires or mustangs, you can try the combat theater arena.  Gameplay there isn't really different from the main arena, except the plane sets are limited.

If you *really* want to get into WW2-type situations you need to join special events like Historic Scenarios.  These are often based on actual battles and often have limited or even single lives per event, which adds to the 'pucker factor'.  These are often large and very organized events, which each group having its own mission as part of an overall battle plan.

>>>
>>>

Each arena has its own map.  The main arena rotates maps every week, unless a country manages to 'win' by driving another country off the map and forcing an arena reset which changes the map.  The combat theater map gets changed every week with a new setup.  Special events often use custom terrains.

>>>
>>>

I played FA 1.0 I think, so my experience is probably not relevant.  From what I remember about FA -
- AH has no newbie arena with unlimited ammo and external views.  There is a training arena, but that is for training only.
- AH has no persistant 'nations at war' set up.  NAW is kind of neat in concept, but really isn't a simulation of WW2 and has all sorts of balance issues that are usually addressed by the developer monkeying with the flight models of the planes.
-  AH has no magical padlock that finds the enemy for you or that can see through wings.

>>>
>>>

They are on here everyday, and they answer lots of questions, but usually not things that have been beaten to death 1000x before or asked in a rude manner.   You can search for their posts, look for Hitech and Pyro.  It is nothing like FA with some mysterious Russian programmers that no one has ever spoken with.  

HTC's office is in Texas and they will answer the phone if you call.  HTC isn't owned by EA, Microsoft, Strategy First, or any other big publisher.   They make only one game, and try to make it the best in the genre.

>>>
>>>

Download the FE and get your controls set up.  Go to http://www.netaces.org if you need help getting set up or have more questions.   Once you are set up offline, sign up for a two week free trial, no CC# required.

Hope you check it out.   Maybe if Shaden or one of the other ex-FA guys sees this they can give you a better comparison.

Offline loony1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 09:05:27 PM »
welcome...If the above info doesn't help try this http://www.hitechcreations.com/helphom.html :aok
Loony2 Of "The Iron Saints"

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 10:20:11 PM »
Sradel, I have been here for almost 5 years now.

You are not going to find a better flight sim, or better customer support, or a better community to fly in.

We have our "less than perfect, bedside manner types" here, but thats just a fact of having such a large base of people.

Most here are very helpful, very friendly, and very annoying (hehe).

In truth......download the sim. it's free for the first 2 weeks and then $14.95/month after that. Of course u will get to keep the H2H rooms and off-line free if u choose not to become a paying customer.

It's a win....win  scenario. By far the best out there.

Gotta warn ya though. It's like Crack. The First Hit is FREE!

Seriously, hop aboard. You won't regret it.

And as per MOSQ's recommendation, get into the Training arena.
Most will help you there (even non training corps personnel).

If u see me in any arena, I would be glad to help u out.
In game handle is same same as here.

Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline sradel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 11:31:45 PM »
Thanks guys that is the information i have been looking for. I also flew Air Warrior for a few months back in the mid 90's if i remember right. Back when I had a 2400 baud modem. Was way to expensive so i had to give it up. I knew a couple of guys that were paying over 1000 bucks a month. (two that i know of led to divorce) I believe it was 19.95 a month for 10 hours then 3 bucks an hour after that. sorrry got sidtracked down memory lane. Anyway thanks for the info and i will sign up this week end. If it looks half as good as you are saying I think my 30+ member squad may just follow me. I dont expect the perfect game as my idea of perfect is not every one elses. I also dont expect bug free as I am currently  a Systems Engineer and have done some coding myself and know how imposible that is. But a lot of us at FA are just tired of the same bugs, total lack of information and shrinking online numbers. Maybe I will bump into some of you over the next couple of weeks.
thanks again

Gunfighter

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 07:55:28 AM »
Sradel,

also realize you can all download the game, and play  8 player games by yourself for FREE.

That way you can all test it out together.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 08:33:25 AM »
sradel

Welcome to AH2.

Ive been here for a few months now. I actually did 2 trials (about one a year) till I finally got stuck here on my 3rd. Reason I didnt stay the first two times was due to the country setup. I as you prefer a country based plane setup. Reason I kept comming back was due to the fantastic flight engine. On my 3rd trial I decided to not let the issues with the countries bug me. Its really a state of mind thing. If you are set on something buggin you it will.

At this time I did trials in FA and WB as well. FA and WB where all much prettier games and actually had nation setups that worked better for me. BUT there was no way any of them could compare in flight experience. After all flight sims are about flight experience, right?

I dont mean to be insultive of FA but imho its Fighter Arcade.

AH2 has an extreamly supperior flight engine and is much more realistic.

Also there is no "Aracde"-flightmodel setup arena. You play with the full featured flight model in all arenas.

I also found the skill of the ah pilots much higher then the skill of the fa pilots. Basicly on my first day of fa I was scooring at least one kill per sortie while in ah at the time I was scooring about 1 kill to 2-3 deaths. I know stats dont mean much but its an indicator.

In AH you will find 3 different game types. First you got the Main Arena which is a base taking with 3 totally equal countries. Then you have the Combat Theatre which is a historical setting Main Arena so to speak. CT has axis vs allies setup with limmited plane sets. Then you have the Special Events Arena where Special Events are held. These are recreations of historical battles with the correct plane sets for these specific battles.

Ohh and something else where AH2 beats any other WW2 sim. Views. Views. Views. Imho this is an extreamly under rated aspect of flight sims. AH2 has a huge view set which is totally customizable on a per plane basis. When I flew both FA and WB I had claustrofobia because I couldnt get good views and everything was so extreamly zoomed in. Here you get a much better overview and still have the ability to zoom in and customize as you which.

Imho after trying em all AH2 is the game to go with.

Tex

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
AH views ROCK!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 02:44:23 PM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy

Ohh and something else where AH2 beats any other WW2 sim. Views. Views. Views. Imho this is an extreamly under rated aspect of flight sims. AH2 has a huge view set which is totally customizable on a per plane basis. When I flew both FA and WB I had claustrofobia because I couldnt get good views and everything was so extreamly zoomed in. Here you get a much better overview and still have the ability to zoom in and customize as you which.

I completely agree. I flew CFS 1/2/3 and tried FA and nothing compares to the views in AH. No other Sim that I've tried lets you duck and move your head so you can look around cockpit obstructions, save your head positions, zoom in and out.

I've changed a lot of my hat switched on my CH gear to control views and head movement. I reverted to using the keyboard for what they used to be.  I've even programmed that little microstick on the throttle to control all 16 view points. Now I can do a quick scan of the sky just by swirling my left thumb. I always thought that thing was useless until now. To me this makes the experience much more realistic.

I look forward to seeing you in the AH skys  sradel . This is my 3rd month and yup, I'm an AH crack head!:rofl

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 03:36:51 PM »
Welcome ... what took ya so long ??

I came outta FA 1 - 2.5 and Flew  fa 3 -3.5   (I canceled my fa sub when 2.5 died at MS)  I was gonna try 3.7 i think is the current but they changed the downloader to some dos POS and it was gonna take 4 days to dl  500mbs on a 1100kbps dsl line ... Well forget that ...

I was one of the huge squad guys and one of the top events winners over in fa2
KC, DB,PPP events.

Here in AH your not gonna find the variable flight models from arena to arena   , each planes fm stays the same .  your also not gonna see that  " dot ............ zooom .... boom " ultra quick death that FA has going for it .

the main arena changes its attitude depending on what time you fly in it.

the ct arena is more like nations at war arena but its only 2 sided with planesets used from that timeperiod and battle .

we also have huge senario's and quick down and dirty wensday night snapshot events along with dualing type events  

as far as im concered ah has the best flightmodel  for realism .. but the easiest to use .  check the super eye candy at the door and come in a fly :)
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 04:34:25 PM »
Seemed kind of hockey to fly for a country called the Bishops. But I am very open to comments on this one.
It is hahahahahahaha Just kidding Bish couldn't resist.

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 05:30:42 PM »
I've flown every flight sim since SWOTL and Chuck Yeagers Air Combat. AH has by far the best FM of any to date. Not just the best FM but the most accurate performance modeling of each individual aircraft. Disagree with a performance stat of your favorite aircraft? Come up with proof positive and you will likely see it changed. Not that there's much left to improve now, all the performance issues have been beaten to death over many years. Take a look at the  Aircraft and Vehicles forum to see for yourself.

Another aspect not yet mentioned is the incredible ballistics modeling. Damage is adjusted according to the projectiles speed, angle of impact, type of round (mg, he, ap), etc... Accuracy is modeled as close to real world as possible. This really shows off the differences between mg and cannon equipped aircraft. It really forces you to think when attacking ground vehicles, shoot a panzer at a shallow angle and watch your rounds ricochet off.

Welcome to the BEST WWII fighter combat simulation in existence.

g00b

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 06:02:21 PM »
Sradel,

I was in FA for a while. Actually was the first flight sim I ever flew. Did the MS FS bit while in FA. Left FA for tons of reasons.

Anyway , When arriving to AH I thought I was a hot shot flyer. I was quickly handed my tail repeatedly for the first few months. This game has a steep learing curve as I am sure was mentioned.

After a couple or years in here now , I suck but not NEARLY as bad as I used to.

Take things that are said to you with a grain of salt when your in the MA as far as someone giving ya the needle.

Fly whatever you want to fly. Don't fall into tha trap of people saying anything about what you fly. EVERYONE in here are dweebs.

Figure on at least a couple of months of missing shot , getting shot , and frustration. It's all worth it tho.

Aces High II is the best Flight Sim out there bar none.

Welcome to the Skies and hope to see you flying with the Knights sometime. My ID is RedTop and I would be more than happy to fly with you or give you help if you need it. What limited help I can give:)

See Ya up
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline sradel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 09:52:41 AM »
Ok guys you have me convinced. The main issues that i have with FA seem to be corrected here. I will give it a try over the next couple of days but i think it is more to what i have been looking for. I want to do some more reading and try to understand more on how things work before i jump in. But i will be there.
thanks

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 11:25:09 PM »
Hi sradel. I've also come from FA, but it was some years ago, during FA2.5. Once I made the jump to AH, I've never looked back.

Here's my take on the answers you seek.

1. You can go consult to  to this link for available Planes/Vehicle types. The list is not updated yet, and current version of AH2 includes the Soviet T-34/76 tank, and IJAAF Ki-84-Ia.

The plane sets aren't limited, and it is "whatever you desire" in the MA. However, alternate arenas to play in such as the Combat Theater offers historical matchups. While fewer in numbers than the MA, it still offers good immersive combat.

2. No relaxed realism whatsoever in AH. At least, in terms of flight modelling that is. The Training Arena, however, offers few extra features for training purposes such as external views and lead-computed gunsights/bombsights.

3. New skins are submitted and reviewd by the HTC staff. They only accept historical skins, so you cannot expect a fully customized squad skin to be available for use online(even if they are semi-historical).

For instance, if you are in a squad called "56th FG", you'd be able to submit skins of the actual historical P-47 squadron of the 56th FG as a represantation of your virtual squad, but if you make up a new semi-historical scheme, it will not be accepted.

4. Externals aren't available in any of the real competitive arenas. Only in the Training Arena

5. Friendly/Enemy location is pinpointed by local radar. If this radar system(placed at a nearby friendly/enemy base) is destroyed, only the information on general friendly/enemy strength(numbers) are available via "Friendly/Enemy Counter" bars. .

6. Most of the carrier-based planes are available. Unfortunately, the most popular CV-based plane is the Royal Navy Seafire, so in this aspect it'd be a little bit 'unrealistic'.

7. The MA is a mixed amalgam of many different fighters(although there does exist a such thing as 'the most competitive MA fighters'). Some people have been suggesting historical division of countries, but AH still has some gaping holes in its planeset, so dividing the countires on a historical basis is not much preferred. For instance, when it comes to multi-purpose planes, all the rest of the countries are seriously disadvantaged when comapred to the USAAF/USN.

Initially it might be a bit weird to fly for a "Bishop", "Knight", and a "Rook", but you quickly come to accept that.

8. Yes, maps are rotated weekly.

9. I've played FA1, 1.5, 2, and 2.5. The gameplay, while not without some problems, is IMO very superior to that of FA Territorial Combat". The numbers of people in the arena are huge(depending on timezones), and there is a lot of action on the ground as well as in the air.

While AH2 does not have a real ground-war element, action on the ground still never ceases. In some contested areas you'd be able to see huge tank battles with upto some 10~15 tanks on each side duking it out.

10. HTC is usually a bit secretive on what they are specificially doing. However, they do regularly contact the people in the BBS and announce new/planned features.

Also, in good BBS threads many of the HTC staff take solid part and discuss issues of the game with the players seriously.

The only things they ignore, are posts that aren't very serious, or can be easily explained by other players. Serious questions based with lot of facts and testings and etc, will not go unanswered. However, a typical 'flame thread' or 'accusation without proof' will not be answered.