Author Topic: Switching from IL2 to Aces Hi  (Read 1786 times)

Offline thomasbernie

• Zinc Member
Switching from IL2 to Aces Hi
« on: January 11, 2005, 12:22:41 PM »
I'm trying to switch to Aces Hi so I can take advantage of the new Track IR vector expansion mode.  I can't seem to get the settings right.  The aircraft nose jerks around in an unrealistic fashion.  Takeoffs are difficult due to irrational swerving.  I read that this sim has a great FM.  I don't see anything resembling a great FM, so I must have some major configuration error.    
Any Ideas?  P.S. Been flying IL2 online for 3 years, and 10K plul Rl hours.  Thanks in advance.

Tom

Offline xHaMmeRx

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.netaces.org
Re: Switching from IL2 to Aces Hi
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 12:31:05 PM »
The aircraft nose jerks around in an unrealistic fashion.

Probably excessive / too fast control input. Usually adjusting your stick scaling can help. Read about it here.

Takeoffs are difficult due to irrational swerving.

You must pull your stick back 1/4 to 1/2 in order to lock your tail wheel. If you don't, your tailwheel is free and you will swerve at low speeds.

Check out netaces, linked in my signature. Good Luck!

Offline thomasbernie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 12:35:42 PM »
Thanks, but I got the stick & rudders calibrated.  The nose of the ac jumps around in an unrealistic way, kind of jittery  and unstable.

Offline thomasbernie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 12:37:56 PM »
Thanks hammer, that explains the takeoff swerving.  Guess I need to study up.

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 01:15:21 PM »
He's not saying you don't have your stick calibrated in windows, as well as AH2.  What hes saying is that there are slider scales to adjust sensitivity of each axis (roll, pitch, rudder) on your plane.  If these are too high, turn them down.  Imagine yanking on your stearing wheel really  hard on a wet surface...I dont think the car would be too resposive.  Same with a plane.  Turn the scaling down so you dont "work" your plane too hard.  You beat on a plane, and it's gonna beat on you back.

I havent been playing long and STILL have yet to find a scaling setting that doesnt resolve my "nose bounce" problem either, but this is where you resolve the issue..if your luckier than me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 01:17:25 PM by Ohio43 »

Offline thomasbernie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 01:27:11 PM »
Thanks Ohio43, I'll tone down my control profiles some.  Guess the nose "bouncing" is normal with this FM.  I'll practice some and see if I can get used to it.

Regards, Tom

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 02:03:14 PM »
Well, actually, nose bounce isn't "normal" being that you should accept the fact that it can't be resolved.  It IS normal to the extent that the planes are modeled for realism.  Basic concept being that "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"  Beat on a plane in a left side skid will in effect make it swing back to the right violently (Nose bounce).  Easy inputs gets easy "reactions" to that input.  Everyone has their own style of man-handling a stick, so you really can't get advise on what to set them at.  I am, for one, a person the really works a stick hard (ok, this isn't sounding kosher) and because of this fact, I am really having a very difficult time elliminating the nose bounce.  Particularly in the "fine tuning" my aim just before shooting.   Nose bounce can also occur if your stick's center position is wearing out..you can tell this because you nose will skid side to side, or up and down even when you are not touching the controls.  If you stick isn't TOO worn out, you can eliminate this by raising the "dead band" for the particular axis in the AH2 joystick setup as well.

I did, however, find last night that the A6M (zeke) is very forgiving and seems to like rough handling.  It seems to take to man-handling very well.  Unfortuantely,  from what I've been reading, this plane has limited options against a lot of later war birds.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 02:57:13 PM by Ohio43 »

Offline xHaMmeRx

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.netaces.org
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 02:12:08 PM »
Originally posted by Ohio43
I havent been playing long and STILL have yet to find a scaling setting that doesnt resolve my "nose bounce" problem either, but this is where you resolve the issue..if your luckier than me.

Ohio,

I had the same problem when i returned from my year-long absence (courtesy of Uncle Sam). I was using the settings shown on my site.

I messed around with various settings, all the time having no luck. One day, more out of frustration than anything, I set them all to the top. Voila! Problem solved. I can't say whether it was the change in settings or me getting used to flying the virtual skies again, but that did it for me.

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 02:26:22 PM »
All to the top??  doesnt that mean that the slightest input will put out the maximum response immediately?

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 02:57:45 PM »
Anything is worth a try if your struggling.
Personally what stopped nose bounce for me was setting the dead zone etc in AH setup to ZERO.
I like to start getting a response as soon as i move the joystick the slightest amount.
However when fighting i also try to keep a small negative trim, meaning i have to have small elevator up input to be level.
I find this helps me a lot keeping the pipper on target instead of bouncing around and having to keep correcting up or down.

Ohio the answer is no.
Setting the sliders all to the top will give you a straight line graph response.
For example a 5 mm movement on your stick will give you a 5 degree response on the controls linearly from the centre position outwards.

By using the standard settings again as an example a 5mm stick movement from centre may only give you a 1 degree control, response. The next 5mm stick movement may give you a 2 degree control response all the way out to where the last 5mm stick movement may give you a 10 degree control response.
Basically the standard settings and anything below max for any slider gives you a curved graph style control response.

Thomas also check in AH setup that you have the easy options turned off. Stall limiter etc, although if your having trouble on takeoff roll its likely you have already turned them off.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 03:07:27 PM by 214thCavalier »

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 03:12:21 PM »
Cav, you make a good point about the negative aspect to using dead band at all.  I was of the same opinion and had set my dead band to zero.  I really dont need dead band on at all.  My stick is very stiff so I didnt need it.  I was finding that with dead band on I would find the, say, roll, would kick in when I didn't expect it to, and thus had to kick the roll the oposite way to compensate for the shot..causing nose bounce one again.  Even at zero I have a problem but I know its not the stick's fault.

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline thomasbernie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 04:54:13 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys.  I just finished testing some settings.  Hammers suggestion of no scaling works best for me sensitive, but stable -- something I can work with.  Now practice time. :D

Thanks again, Tom

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 01:13:32 PM »
If ya need any 1 on 1 help Tom just say the word.

I have flown Il2/FB/AEP/PF

I think you will really like AH, just give it time.  I wish you the best.

c yas up..... Dave

Offline thomasbernie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 02:49:40 PM »
Thanks Dave, I'll do that.  I've got a little learning curve I'm working on now.

Tom