Author Topic: New Plane Sounds  (Read 4624 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
New Plane Sounds
« on: February 05, 2000, 03:29:00 PM »
I have been working on new sounds for the current plane set.  I'm not saying these are better, just different.  I do think they're better for the bombers and goonies tho, so they don't sound like a p51.    

You can find them at:
 http://www.digitalsim.com/downloads/Aces_High_Sounds/

When you extract them they want to goto "Program FIles/HTC/Aces High/Sounds/{plane}"  where plane is the specific plane directory.  So its easiest to extract to you root directory so it gets the path right if you use winzips "use folder info" option.  Otherwise manually copy the sound to the correct folder per plane.

Note:  The C47a sound set contains a modified version of drop.wav but it doesn't get recognized unless its under the base sound dir. (sounds like a bug to me)  So after installing the C47a set manually copy the new drop.wav to the base sounds dir.

Some of these turned out better than others.  I was using the Universal Studios Sound Effect Library (5 CD set).  Some I was able to find accurate source, for but most I had to exercise liberal artistic license.  These are just how I liked them to sound and claim no historical accuracy.  Also, how they are balenced for my speaker system might not be as good for everyone else.

If I get good feedback I can continue to tweak these.

Regards,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
New Plane Sounds
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2000, 04:51:00 PM »
If anybody is interested in putting together their sound packs for distribution, I'd be happy to make an installer for it and put the packs up on our download page under your name.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

"If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid."

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
New Plane Sounds
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2000, 05:08:00 PM »
Cool!  I'll submit mine after some tweaking.  Pyro, any thoughts on what needs tweaking in my set please share.  I'm interested in the feedback.  A lot of these planes I have no idea what they sound like so was just guessing.  Also my sound resources were limited so required starting with a totally different aircraft and playing with pitch and timber.  Most of it was simply based on the "uhhh that sounds cool. huhhh huhhhuh  huhhuhh..."  method.

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
New Plane Sounds
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2000, 01:59:00 AM »
I've already gotten some great input from people like Rocket and others.

I've tweaked a few of the zip this evening:

ah_p51d.zip
(engine redone)
--------------------------------------

ah_f4u1c.zip
added BANG for cartridge starter and engine redone for bigger ballz)

ah_f4u1d.zip

ah_C47a.zip
(minor changes.  decrease gear volume and pitch.)

ah_190a8.zip

(engine redone for bigger ballz)

Any more comments or suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Wab

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
New Plane Sounds
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2000, 11:25:00 AM »
After adding the cartridge starter I was told by someone else that perhaps it was only the early models that had that and the later had electric starters.  The question is how early.

Can anyone tell me if both the 1c and 1d had electric starters or was the 1d old enough to have cartridge?

Too bad if true I kinda like it now.  

Throw me a bone here people.  I know some of you people have this stuff memorized.  

Regards,
Wab

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
New Plane Sounds
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2000, 05:02:00 PM »
Wab u where right i just looked into my books and it got an Eclipse, Type III Cartridge starter... so the bang at start is right    

again GREAT work Wab

------------------

Phillip "Duckwing6" Artweger
Flight Officer "E" Flight
Skeleton Crew

[This message has been edited by Duckwing6 (edited 02-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Duckwing6 (edited 02-06-2000).]

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
New Plane Sounds
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2000, 05:20:00 PM »
Books...cool, I got another resource now.  

Hehe.  That was Rocket that clued me into the starter.  But thanks for the double check.  Keeping me honest.

Hey with our logo's it's starting to look like Warner Brothers around here.  

Regards,
Wab

"overtures,
  curtain lights..
 this is it,
  the night of nights!
 no more rehersing,
  or nursing a part..
 we know every part by HEART!"

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
New Plane Sounds
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2000, 05:29:00 PM »
BTW, I just upload various changes to:

b26 (gear)
p51 (engine back to default)
205 (flaps)
190 (engine flaps)
la5 (engine)
spit9 (50 cals)
f4u1c  (engine)
f4u1d  (engine)

I'm done for now.  Thanks fo the inputs.

Regards,
Wab

funked

New Plane Sounds
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2000, 06:44:00 PM »
Thanks Wab!

I'll play around with them sometime this week.

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
New Plane Sounds
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2000, 06:13:00 AM »
Cool & Cool!    
Great Work AKWabbit, and I can't wait for your tweaked soundpack.  

and Pyro, when will you upload my Sidewinder Profiles?  

YOUR DROP.WAV IS MY FAVORITE NOW!          

[This message has been edited by Mitsu (edited 02-07-2000).]

Sorrow[S=A]

New Plane Sounds
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2000, 01:40:00 PM »
AK, your sounds for the .205 engine have some major problems   The engine has a major oscillation problem, sounds like it's racing up and down (Compared to the excellent slight volume changes the F4U got) and the RPM is far slower than it should be, the motor sounds like it is detonating when it has seperated individual bangs at full throttle.

Also, is it possible the La5 could get a sound closer to the F4u? They both had 14 cylinder radials.

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
New Plane Sounds
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2000, 01:58:00 PM »
>AK, your sounds for the .205 engine have >some major problems  The engine has a major
>oscillation problem,

Yeah its tough to get a good looping engine sample as most of my resources are flybys so I'm fighting doppler problems, but I'll play with it this weekend.

I was concerned about my 109 sounds but I loaded MSCFS and it sounded very similar for their 109's. :>  I don't know if thats a good reference or not.  I have EAW and SDOE on cd I might load them and listen to theirs.

>Also, is it possible the La5 could get a >sound closer to the F4u? They both had 14 >cylinder radials.

OK I play with that too.  But didn't the F4U have 18 cylinders?

Thanks for the input.  I need the help from the community because I don't know enough about the aircraft.

Regards,
Wab

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
New Plane Sounds
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2000, 07:52:00 PM »
OK I fiddled with the 205 and la5.

In addition I redid all the 109 engines to make them less "lawn-mowerish".    While I was in there I redid the nik engine too and fixed the f4u1d (made its engine the same as 1c)  Also made one last attempt at cleaning up the b17 engine.

I put up the changed zips:
109f4
10009g6
109g2
109g10
n1k2
b17
f4u1d
la5fn
c205

Also, Pyro, or who ever else is interested; I packed everything up in a single self-extracting exe with setup program. (7.5meg)  
"AH_Sounds.exe"
 http://www.digitalsim.com/downloads/Aces_High_Sounds/

Regards,
Wab

funked

New Plane Sounds
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2000, 01:54:00 AM »
Go Wab!

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
New Plane Sounds
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2000, 04:56:00 AM »
Downloading package now!

danish