Author Topic: Gunnery again............  (Read 1794 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Gunnery again............
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 09:10:54 AM »
Tilt ... you have expressed perfectly my frustrations as of late. My gunnery doesn't suck (well ... at least not until recently) but then again I am nowhere near to top of the scale either, but I am finding that shots that I was landing before, with consistency, are no where near the mark anymore.

Dove on an F6-F (while in a P-47) on the water the other night. At about 600 out started to lay the "line" out in front of the F6-F ... I could see the rounds hitting the water all around and in front of him, yet nary a round hit him.

In a Spit V, came around on the rear quater of a 110 at D400 out ... let out a nice burst (I use tracers) ... not a single hit sprite ... WTF I say ... next thing I know his tail falls off ... double WTF now.

Many times while flying in the Spit V I have taken my usual run-of-the-mill D200 deflection shot ... lace the guy from stem to stern ... nothing. This is basically my bread-and-butter shot. But, I will say, at other times things happen as expected ... that is the root of my confusion and frustration.

I don't know ... but something is not right or something has changed.

I am not whining or complaining and have started to adjust, but it seems, from this thread, that I am not the only one experienceing this, which leads me to believe that something is amiss.

EDIT ...

As far as harware goes ... I have a kick-*** machine 3gig CPU ... 2 gig memory ... Raid 0 hardrive setup and a ATI Radeon 9500 soft-modded to a 9700. This is the same box that I have used in AH I and since the introduction of AH II. Wasn't having these problems before with this setup ... for me ... I do not consider my hardware the culprit here. My hardware has been the constant where the game is what has been in a constant state of change.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 09:17:44 AM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 09:23:31 AM »
My problem is that I shake like an epileptic whenever I try to take a shot.  I need to compensate for a shot, so I do.  But then I over compensate and I go to compensate for that.

It looks like I"m having a seizure to anyone flying by.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 09:53:38 AM »
I think its me............

I am not saying its the gameware or my hardware.............

Some renewed gunnery training  is probably required.........

and some youth serum perhaps
Ludere Vincere

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 10:01:34 AM »
I upgraded to a killah system 64bit CPU, X800 pro Gfx card..and a 20" mnitor.

I still s*ck!

Ghost, you owe me 1.7k€ ;)

PS: Slapshot, the hit-sprites as we used to know are gone, maybe you didn't se the hits on the spit? Happened to me too when we switched to 2.2
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2005, 10:55:53 AM »
Tilt you sound JUST like me...

hit % this tour is a SHOCKING 10.487 % but that is with only 16 fighter sorties total.

last few tours:

tour 60: 5.971 %

tour 59: 4.945 %

tour 58: 7.131 %

tour 57: 3.751 %

tour 56: 4.874 %

back in AH ONE:

tour 50: 8.394 %

tour 49: 9.113 %

tour 48: 10.986 %

tour 47: 9.921 %

tour 46: 10.941 %

somethign is really different, especially of late. i have resorted to going suicide on a bomber at least 1 time per week pumping ALL rounds i can into it at ranges of less than 100 yards just to keep hit % above 4 (i know TRULY pathetic)

i did start flying with tracers again about 3 weeks ago in desperation, and i have been taking the C.202 alot just to force me to shoot better. it is helping a bit, and all i can guess is gunnery is a "you have it instinctivly or you dont" thing.

i can shoot all day at a la7 200 in my windshield and get 1-2 flashes, then run out of all 400+ cannon in my dora... never getting the kill, or even making a piece fly off the plane. these aren't long spray bursts, they are 1/4 second "line up, shoot, realign, shoot, stabilize, align, shoot" and so on.

i have chased a plane for a sector, doing the quick bursts trying to get hits, and never getting the guy.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 11:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
My problem is that I shake like an epileptic whenever I try to take a shot.  I need to compensate for a shot, so I do.  But then I over compensate and I go to compensate for that.

It looks like I"m having a seizure to anyone flying by.

I betcha our films would look identical. Buck fever, never have been able to cure it. Thousands of hours, still do it.

Five cheep beers takes care of it. Kinda taxes the SA tho..

Shooting is harder in AH2, but even tho I suck AH1 was way to easy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 11:31:43 AM by nopoop »
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 11:30:25 AM »
Tilt, way back when when I was a noOb I used the zoom function a lot when I was shooting.  This wasn't really so I could see the enemy better, it was so I could see my tracers and adjust my aim at different ranges to hit what I was shooting at.  It was very easy, once I opened up on a guy I could make quick fine adjustments, kinda like if you were trying to squirt someone with a waterhose but missed initially, but the correction is easy because you can tell exactly where your stream is going.  Once I had a feel for how all the guns fired (except those damn German 30's :mad:  ) gunnery was very easy for me.

I don't understand no tracer guys, its like most of them are so unconfident in their ability that if they let the guy they are shooting at see their tracers they don't think they have a chance to get the kill.  So if your tracers are off, put em back on and just feel the shot out.  I guarantee your aim will vastly improve.  I have never had a problem getting a kil because someone "saw" my tracer stream.

Offline Janov

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 11:40:54 AM »
As for the hitsprites giving you feedback - does anyone know exactly what version 2.02 has done to the hitsprites? To me it seems that machinegunrounds dont give hitsprites if they hit planes above a certain distance.
I have shot a planes at around 400-600 yds, never seen a thing. Then later I get an assist.
I wish Pyro would be a little more specific in the changelog, as to what graphical effects where added, altered or removed. Donīt get me wrong, I love the new version and effects, it would just take a little guesswork out of tactically relevant issues like these.
Btw, my gunnery feels horrible to me (overcontroling, wrong lead, etc.), and since most of my shots are at enemies which are hidden beneath my engine (I fly LW-Cannon-birds, low muzzle velocity), I never know wether I hit em or not.

Litjan, 1.hessische Freibierstaffel

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2005, 12:02:55 PM »
It's been like that for quite some versions now Janov. You'll have quite a bit of difficulty identifying a hit over 500 yards, or during high deflection shots. The hit sprites are much smaller than AH1, and the resident time on the FE is also a lot shorter.

The only real gripe I have is that the cannon shots are still not much pronounced.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2005, 12:08:49 PM »
of all the factors (gunnery, ACM, SA, E-management, ground straffing, bomber killing,etc,etc) i find fighter-fighter gunnery the easiest :D

sorry.

that straight 6 shot from D400 is really easy I find.

leads, snaps and deflections only slightly tougher.

from any possition under 500yrds i can shoot any fighter down using no more than 10-20 cannon rounds, maybe between 100-150 50cals. thats including the missed rounds.

saying this my accuracy is still usually only around 9%, but i think thats because flying the spit i waste many 303s that dont hit while the few cannon rounds do the damage.

funny that some of us find different actions harder/easier.

Redd told me to try turning off my tracers the other day when i was having trouble hitting with a 109F(i used no tracers in AH1 but turned them on in AH2 again for films)

he was right, the tracers just get in the way.

its not about giving the game away to the plane infront, more about obstructing your view on target, escpecially with planes using 6+ different guns.

try no tracers, see if it helps.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2005, 12:25:56 PM »
Originally posted by Stang
I don't understand no tracer guys, its like most of them are so unconfident in their ability that if they let the guy they are shooting at see their tracers they don't think they have a chance to get the kill.  So if your tracers are off, put em back on and just feel the shot out.  I guarantee your aim will vastly improve.  I have never had a problem getting a kil because someone "saw" my tracer stream.
for me it was a factor of forcing myself to learn where the guns were going...

with the tracers on when i shoot all i see is a blur of white smoke filling my recticle, and totally covering the other plane. i think HOW could i POSSIBLY miss? his plane was completely surrounded with tracers to the point i could not see him.

now, i stopped zooming in as much, just a slight zoom, and trying to "walk" the streams of guns to the plane. sadly this is working terribly, because of the nature of my fights. i fly a 190d9 most of the time, and any shots i have a quick bursts on that spit zipping back and forth. by the time i "walk" the bullets to him he is no longer in a place i can possibly shoot, so there goes 100 cannon rounds without a ping, and i have to reset for another engagement.

as tilt mentioned my plane is epeltic in it's rudder movements. yes i have played with all the scaling and axis eq to no avail. i have tried dozens of settings, none better then the other. (btw i use CH pro pedals)
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
guh guh gunnery
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2005, 12:28:39 PM »
Well, I had been hitting in the 8 to 10% range, down from 12 plus in AHI......  Right now I suck (this month so far).

The dead astern shot seems to be tougher for me than ever....  I usually burp a few to get him to move and then kill with the minor deflection shot that results.....much bigger target bubble (and I know there is no such thing as a bubble).   The profile is far larger than dead astern.
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Tracers
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2005, 12:30:39 PM »
I have them on again, but nothing to do with gunnery..  I flew for a very long time with them off.  I liked giving no warning...

Now, I use them to turn a victim at long range by spraying some machine gun by his head..  

If you see the spray, don't turn and pray.   :p
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2005, 12:42:38 PM »
I find the dead six shot harder than deflections for sure.  It's almost like your brain gets in the way because there is more time taken over the shot.

Developing a sight picture so the trigger is squeezed before you know it is something I've been working on.

This is just a repeat of what has been said before but it is so vaild: get offline and come in on the angles on those drones, it really helps.

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2005, 01:08:13 PM »
Agreed, six shots seem to have gotten harder and the deflection shots are easier. Some deflections where I think i missed I will bank over and see flames on the other plane. Guess that falls into the undershoot more than overshoot. but I have pumped lots of a-8 rounds from 400 off and opponent only to see them just go wizzing by seeminly missing by a hair. Not sure but I am gonna start trying to hold ammo for those deflections instead of wasting it on those six shots.