Author Topic: Autopilot  (Read 4935 times)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Autopilot
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2005, 05:51:06 PM »
There are plenty of P-51s out there that aren't dolled up, too.

I'm sure there are plenty that are not in the markings class of Big Beautiful Doll, Hurry Home Honey, Gunfighter, Belligerent Bets, Glamorous Glen and the like.

Also, he hasn't responded and I'm doing nothing but practice FII written tests so my life is the computer for the next few hours before bed.

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
Autopilot
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2005, 06:28:38 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
have created a lot of real time control systems

Damn, you too? ;)

Offtopic, and just for curiosity, did you work for some known SCADA/automation company?

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Autopilot
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2005, 07:12:14 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
There are plenty of P-51s out there that aren't dolled up, too.

I'm sure there are plenty that are not in the markings class of Big Beautiful Doll, Hurry Home Honey, Gunfighter, Belligerent Bets, Glamorous Glen and the like.

Also, he hasn't responded and I'm doing nothing but practice FII written tests so my life is the computer for the next few hours before bed.

Golfer,

I can appreciate your defense of a friend.  It is more than understandable.  I also can understand your desire to see civility, and totally understand that too.  On the lew side I offer a bit of caution.  Straiga is more than likely a pilot.  More than likely he has an ATP and he is more than likely flying someway for a living.  But, someone who makes statements like he has, especially concerning the 51 is causing me to wonder about the validity.

Straiga has claimed a few things.  To be a pilot for a major airline, to have flown the 51 over 500 hous and have an LOA in it, and that his father is a retired General who owns (now it is owned) a 51.

Lets start with your claim that there are "plenty of 51's out there that are not all dolled up."  True, some do not even have nose art, I know of three right now with US registries that are not even painted except the star and bar.  Then there are those that have civil paint schemes too.  I personnally packed up two civil painted / race painted mustangs for shipment overseas to new owners.  I remember all the 51 I have worked on, and those I have ground run.  The point I make here is that if you have 500+ hours in a specific 51, you'd remember the paint job and S/N.

Ya, 500 hours, that brings up a whole set of different things too.  A mustang's typical -7 Merlin is doing good if you get 400 hours out of a top end, more if you nurse it, and less if you want to "play with the boys" (straiga claims to have flown it to it's limits).   A typical overhaul now for a pair of topends and banks
will run you 10k a side.  A full overhaul will occur if you really fly the pee outta it, and you have the common sense to not burn up your crank, is a min nowadays of 65k.  80k if you go for a "full out authentic restoration"

So, Mr. straiga again caims to not know anything about the 51 he flew.  LOL, if I had to cough up, or my Daddy had to cough up 65k to rebuild a mustang engine, you'd be sure as crap I'd know it's S/N or paint scheme.

BTW, that's just the engine... not mentioning replacing coolant lines, radiators, any other wearable components, or the cost of comsumables like tires, fuel, oil, and glycol....

Ohh, one more tidbit of advice.  The 51 does not require an LOA if it is in "limited" category.  Only experimentals do.  So any schmoe with a PPL, complex and taildragger endorsement could fly it.  The key here is that no person in their right mind would let that "schmoe" into their aircraft.

Anyways, I say bullcaca, as I personally called 5 friends in the biz today about Mr. Straiga's claims, and NONE have heard of him, or any other retired generals having a 51 other than Urschler and Yeager.

So... this leaves us with, WHY LIE?

That answer lies (pun intended) with Mr straiga.  Hope he sleeps well at night knowing his self esteem is so low that he has to lie to people on a BBS to make himself feel better.

BTW golfer, gl with the new rating.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Autopilot
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2005, 07:18:59 PM »
I'm still just saying that he hasn't had a chance to reply in this thread to give you the answer you're accusing him of not having.

The attitude in here is now more of a lynchmob than some guys asking for information.  Just because Voss had a history doesn't mean we condemn someone else to the same fate.

Just as easily someone could ask you, Bodhi, for your pilot certificate number, A&P or IA info, repair station certificate numbers or whatever you've got going.  Just because you can provide these, would you feel the highest level of comfort about providing them over this medium?

Again, it doesn't stop someone from figuring it out, but at least it doesn't give them a head start if their motivation is identity theft.

Not accusing anyone of consipiring to do that. I have had two attempts on me that I've caught and successfully had prosecuted.  Dumb shreckers came after me instead of my father [same name] I can keep track of every dollar in all of my 2 accounts, not to mention my credit card limit doesn't even go to 4 figures.  Anyways, I do some unofficial 'consulting' for my father who is an executive specializing in internet security for a fortune 500 company.  It's real, it's out there and I know I try to be a little more cautious when my pilot certificate is involved...after all I spent all that money for the government to print it :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 07:28:40 PM by Golfer »

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Autopilot
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2005, 07:42:51 PM »
Originally posted by Straiga

I dont hold the patents to the bill validator system do you know how much time it takes to get a patent pending or a patent. I said I sold the rights for royalties, doesnt anybody read correctly I guess not. Golfer was correct about the microsoft software and  pointing out someone else who cant read.
Straiga

Yes, I know what's involved in obtaining a patent since one of my Engineering responsibilities is to generate the paperwork for the patent lawyers we have on retainer. And yes, I have been granted patents for my designs. If you wish, I'll check the files and post a patent number you can research.

Secondly, my reading skills are very good as are my writing skills. Good enough to have been published in several aviation magazines, including probably the most popular among AH2 players, Flight Journal.

Finally, in all my years of playing Aces High and reading the BBS, I don't think I've ever seen anyone quite as full of themselves as you. I could care less if your name was Buzz Aldrin or Chuck Yeager, there's never any excuse for your type of down-talking, chest pounding vitriol. The only P-51 owner I have had recent experience with is Vlado Lenoch, and Vlado would be horrified at your attitude. But then again, Vlado's claim to fame isn't from flying his daddy's Mustang, is it?

If you have issues with the AH flight model, why not simply take your concerns to e-mail, why post it to the BBS unless you want the attention? As it is, I have had several WWII veteran combat pilots comment very favorably on the the AH flight model. No, it's not perfect.. But hey pal, go look in a mirror.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Autopilot
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2005, 08:08:31 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
I'm still just saying that he hasn't had a chance to reply in this thread to give you the answer you're accusing him of not having.
[/b]

But he did. Check his reply of 02-10-2005 06:24 AM in this thread.

There's no "lynchmob" on my part. I view it as a reasonable request.

I'm willing to wait a while, but  it's not like he hasn't had a chance to easily put this to rest.

Like I said, just tell me the N-number or the nose art. I think it'd be pretty hard to accomplish identity theft without some contacts in the Mustang community.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Autopilot
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2005, 10:08:49 PM »
I was referring to certificate numbers and patent numbers that might have an effect toward ID theft.  Not what is painted on the side of an airplane.

Either way, the 'tone' (as much as one can interpret virtually through reading) of these threads are that of a lynchmob as a whole.

He hasn't replied since 6:30am today, you asked for (at least clearly) his LOA info and tail number after that.  I'm not taking sides, just not have the BBS go into witch hunting mode.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Autopilot
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2005, 10:50:35 PM »
No, that was Bodhi that asked about the LOA.

As for the LOA, I must admit the "I don't remember" comment suprised me. I had a lot of FAA checks in my time and I have forgotten who gave me most of them. I do remember who checked me out and signed me off on dual time tailwheel for the PT-19 insurance though. Big day; meant I could fly my PT anytime, anywhere all alone and be insured.

Warbirds are different. You remember more about them; they're living history and you're the custodian. It'd have to be a great day for any pilot to get his Mustang LOA. As I said, it raised an eyebrow.

Look. 500 hours in a Mustang is unusual at best for just about any pilot.

If someone is going to snipe the game and back it up with that kind of claim, I can't see where anyone would think it unusual to be questioned on it.

It's easily verified without running any "identity theft" risks too. As I said, the Mustang community just isn't that big.

If you own a particular warbird, you end up being aware of the other ones in your area, who flies them, how much they fly them and how good the airplane is mechanically and cosmetically. You end up swapping parts and techniques.

I'm happy to wait a while. I don't view a N-number or nose art request as any big violation of privacy. He made the claim; I'm just asking which Mustang it was.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Autopilot
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2005, 10:55:16 PM »
I know toad, I'm just saying though.

If I had the ability to own a P-51 then I've got other interests that some less than saintworthy folks might want to tap into without permission.  A P-51 owner isn't a redneck driving a hocked up Camaro with cousin sara next to him.  I've yet to meet one who was hard up for cash and other interests.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Autopilot
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2005, 11:25:20 PM »
He said it was sold, right? Should be in the registry under a new owner by now.

Anyway, it was his father's. I doubt addresses and such would match up and probably not names on licenses.

I ran a check on my license and there were like 60 other guys with the same first and last name. Mines not all that common either.

Like I said Golfer, you make claims like that here, especially after Voss, you're going to get called on it.

Running away from it makes it look like....... scorpions are chasing you or something.

just sayin'

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Autopilot
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2005, 11:34:21 PM »
Well I've known Straiga (virtually) for a while and it's fine to err on the side of caution.  I just don't want to see (and would expect better, especially from those in aviation) to not try and carry out a sentence before a verdict.

At this point, I'd just say he's very into the game.  We've talked and he has great respect for Hitech, his accomplishments and how far flight sims have come.  The opinion he's shared with me is that he thinks it could be better and he passes time by picking things out of the flight model that he may think have been overlooked.  Whether due to an oversight or lack of flight experience.  Right now I view it as his way of trying to make the game better and it's not hard to see how it caught all the Voss underbrush on fire and is starting to grow into a wildfire.

I'm not taking sides, just trying to moderate because another 'Voss Conspiracy' is the last thing the community needs and crying wolf isn't the best way to go about it anyway.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Autopilot
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2005, 11:40:42 PM »
Nobody's crying "wolf".

What you're hearing is "I call".

What you're not hearing is an answer.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Autopilot
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2005, 12:23:46 AM »
Golfer,

I could give a rats fornification about his certificate number or any other #'s...

He claimed to have a boatload of 51 hours (500 to be exact) and that we should "listen to him because he knows".  Guess what...

I have been busting my hump the last 14 years in aviation.  During 12 of those years I have been restoring and flying around in warbirds.  The last year and a half I am nolonger PIC capable, but I still restore and ground check.  For 6 of those years I also worked a second job at Delta.  If you ask around, a fair amount in the industry know of me.

So, the only question I asked of Straiga that set me off on a "gee this guy is a fraud" is the who did his LOA question.  Hell, how the shreck do you forget something like that when there are so few who do it!  Some guy in Cali... there are THREE thats it and that state has the most by a factor of three!

Top it all off with a few solicitations to some of my friends in the warbird community, and nobody has heard of this guy.  Kinda strange to me.  That and the general for a daddy with a P-51... lol thats BS.  

This is all starting to look more an more like a field of meatball to me, one that you are swallowing hook line and sinker.

Tell ya what straiga... post your last name and lets see whether your dad is truly a general....
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 12:33:30 AM by Bodhi »
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Autopilot
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2005, 12:30:56 AM »
Dude... he had to change his last name to fly F-16s for the CIA.  

God you people are ignorant!

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Autopilot
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2005, 09:40:21 AM »
I wouldn't say I'm swallowing anything hook, line & sinker.  I'm not jumping up and down proclaiming victory as a triumphant winner of a BBs witch hunt without giving the guy a chance.

As I mentioned before, he seemed knowledgeable enough in the systems info I asked about the P-51 and nothing in the time I've known em in the game has made me suspect him of being a fraud, fake, phony or con artist.

I do know a thing or two about guys wanting to protect some form of anonymity and I personally think it's hardly an appropriate question to ask someone to supply information about an airplane they do not own without consent of the [former] owner, whether or not it's your father.

He may be over exuberant at times, but knowing him for a while I'm not going to just about-face and shout burn em at the stake while waving a pitchfork.