Author Topic: Your work day...  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Your work day...
« on: February 13, 2005, 10:06:53 PM »
Just your typical work day... What did you do?

Not to promote unions, and not to discount them, nothing like that.  Just wondering what you did today to bring home the bacon.

Offline JoOwEn

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Your work day...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 10:09:59 PM »
Im on welfare wanna share my fries?

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Your work day...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 10:10:44 PM »
It's Sunday, you retard. Thanks for almost giving me a heart attack.

But seriously.... I make pikturs.

Offline JoOwEn

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Your work day...
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 10:14:29 PM »
Just kidding I work at verizon cellular. I can tell you everythig you would want to know about cell phones then talk you into buying one even though you already have one. Thats how good I am of a cell phone salesman.

:)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Your work day...
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 10:20:58 PM »
Heartbreaker Nash, Im off Sun-Mon-Tue.

So a day making pikturs goes like?

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Your work day...
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 10:33:58 PM »
I come in, sit down, and check the Aceshigh web board.

Then I check my email.

Then I log into the support mail system and see how many escalations our first level support as sent up to us. I proceed to plow through them.

At some point I stop this, depending on how many voice call backs I have. Some are even from unhappy people who wrote our CEO, those are FUNNN!

I then do voice call backs and or go back to email escalations.

If I get them before the end of the day I log into our consumer web board and try and answer questions there, while I log what seem to be common questions and problems so we can get engineering on them or write an FAQ.

I check this damn board way to much and need to cut it out. SO starting Monday, I am only checking on my lunch.

Mix in long boring meetings that are a huge waste of time I don't have much of anymore, and conversations with a boss, who though is a great guy and good to work for, has trouble knowing when to shut up. Also mix in trips over to see the engineers that on occasion result in the need for long walks around the parking lot where no one can hear me yell **** **** F******* **** ****!!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 10:36:22 PM by GtoRA2 »

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 10:52:11 PM »
I'm VP of IT Project Management at a really really big bank.  In the morning I will arrive around 9am...there will already be 15 emails and 3 voicemails waiting for me.  I will begin reading emails while I listen to the voicemails.  

I'll then begin my meetings...if they are teleconferences, I will listen while finishing the morning emails.  In the meetings, people from Operations will try and convince me to agree to things they know they can't have.  I will refuse them and they will pout...I will console them and explain for the 50th time why the process is the way it is (which is pointless, because they will still try and circumvent the process).

Later, I will go to the cafeteria and get food to bring back to my desk.  I will eat while responding to more emails.  I'll send all calls to voicemail during that half hour so that callers don't have to hear me chew.

After lunch I will check on my local employees to see if everything is OK and generally make nice.  Remote employees get a call.  Some will whine and vent...I will commiserate and fix the things that I can and try to explain why the unfixable will remain the way they are.

Later I will have meetings with the boss.  I will hope that I have not done something that will get me yelled at while I watch others being dragged over the coals.

Late afternoon I will begin to work status on projects and fire off a stream of emails asking why the project manager has not done what he/she was supposed to do.  Some will call to whine and complain and I will yell at them and ask why they are screwing up my process.  They will cower and do what they should do for a short time.

Early evening, I will run some reports and finish up reading/responding to the 60+ emails that I received during the day.  I'll send emails to my peers on takeaways from meetings that impact them.  And send emails to Operations on projects of high interest... status changes, prioritization requests and generic reports or ad hoc reports (as necessary).

Pack-up and head home between 7:30-8pm.

storch

Your work day...
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 11:00:47 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
I come in, sit down, and check the Aceshigh web board.

Then I check my email.

Then I log into the support mail system and see how many escalations our first level support as sent up to us. I proceed to plow through them.

At some point I stop this, depending on how many voice call backs I have. Some are even from unhappy people who wrote our CEO, those are FUNNN!

I then do voice call backs and or go back to email escalations.

If I get them before the end of the day I log into our consumer web board and try and answer questions there, while I log what seem to be common questions and problems so we can get engineering on them or write an FAQ.

I check this damn board way to much and need to cut it out. SO starting Monday, I am only checking on my lunch.

Mix in long boring meetings that are a huge waste of time I don't have much of anymore, and conversations with a boss, who though is a great guy and good to work for, has trouble knowing when to shut up. Also mix in trips over to see the engineers that on occasion result in the need for long walks around the parking lot where no one can hear me yell **** **** F******* **** ****!!

sheesh, why do you guys put yourselves through all the crap just for money???

Typically

I wake at around 0800.  I stretch fairly thoroughly.  I walk 15 paces to the BR.  I walk 20 paces to my office I log on either this BBS or straight into AH mess around on here until traffic dies down usually 1030-1100.  Drive to the shop where my foreman assures me work is on schedule.  1200 go home eat lunch log on again.  Check message book for interesting leads.  return phonecalls.  1400 go out and make a sales call or two typically by 1600-1700 I'm done for the day.

On days when the shop is swamped I work like a beast of burden, often times shaping, forging or welding.

Those days are up at 0500, stretch thoroughly and get to the shop asap.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 11:13:50 PM by storch »

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Your work day...
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 11:13:43 PM »
I am good at it, it pays ok, and sometimes the job is fun, though the day my boss leaves is the day I leave lol.

Hell this place used to be mega fun, we would have fights with stress balls, and play jokes on each other.

I have also found, that other companies are the same or much MUCH worse.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Your work day...
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 11:20:34 PM »
Last night I checked an overnight 757. The big check is tires and brakes for wear, and impossibly they were within limits. Yaaaah for me.

Then changed a coffee maker in the fwd galley that wouldn't brew, tried to repair a tray table but had no parts in stock, then pulled 3 chip detectors off the #2 engine, which resulted in no obvious engine failure type metal peices.  

Then I was supposed to change a line on the APU surge valve that was chafing, but that part wasn't AOG'd. More yaaaaah for me stuff. Then locked out the auto carpet in the aft cargo bay because it had a 3 foot tear in it.

Finally, we had to play rampers and push out the jet, so some retard mech could get 757 taxi training. Pulling the jet bridge, I found out it's limit switch was broke, and it would punch a hole in the aircraft if you were not careful. Terrific.

After all that, a Captain called us out for the first departure, and said his emergency lights on the  P61 panel didn't work. We put in new bulbs. As much as I like to goof on Toad, it's always fun to talk to these guys.

Offline Storm7

• Zinc Member
Your work day...
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 11:28:37 PM »
I work on a drilling rig off of the coast of Brazil. I'm two days into a twenty-eight day hitch. I work 28-on and get 28 days off. If you think that sucks, while I am here I work from 6pm to 6am. That's twelve hours a day, seven days a week, weekends and holidays included. It's all nights too.

So, listen to your Mommys and Daddys little kids. Stay away from the oil field and anything related to boats or you could end up like this.

And all the rest of you, enjoy your beds, no matter how bumpy and your wives, no matter how lumpy. I'll see you all in the skies around the middle of March. Until then, have another bowl of black beans and rice. It's on the house.

Storm7:aok

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Your work day...
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 11:32:38 PM »
Just a few posts in and this thread already completely rocks.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Your work day...
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 12:02:18 AM »
I am the general manager for a company that restores and maintains ww2 aircraft.  We are located in Colorado Springs, CO, and at current are waiting to move into some new facilities that are being built.  

My Monday will compose of checking emails around 8am, start returning voice calls by 8:30 for the east coast, 9:30 for the west coast.  Then I spend the next hour playing construction project manager and get whatever needs to go to our contractors, planning, or owner on their way.  Sometime during the day I fit in time to manage one restoration project we have going, and start setting scheduling for the next.  If I am lucky, I am on the shop floor by 1pm, then I get to work on my current projects which are a quick engine change stand for a Corsair, and I am getting ready to start to build a fixture to rebuild AT-6 / SNJ wings in.  

Atleast once a month, usually more, I get to go on parts hunting trips, and see what we can turn up.  They are fun, but tiring, and require loads of prep time and multitudes of hours trying to set it all up.

The company owner says I have the best job in the world.  I have to agree.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Re: Your work day...
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 01:18:14 AM »
Originally posted by Creamo
Just your typical work day... What did you do?

Not to promote unions, and not to discount them, nothing like that.  Just wondering what you did today to bring home the bacon.

It's Sunday, retard.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Your work day...
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 01:19:54 AM »
Originally posted by Nash
It's Sunday, you retard. Thanks for almost giving me a heart attack.

But seriously.... I make pikturs.

Holy crap, I posted before I saw yours.  Great minds etc.