Author Topic: Yet another reason why people disgust me.  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Yet another reason why people disgust me.
« on: February 24, 2005, 05:29:07 PM »
No one does anything.  Nothing.  Not a word, not an action.

Click me

§ 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person if:
(1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31 or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes
to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
(2) the actor reasonably believes that his intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

You Texan's are getting soft.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 05:33:35 PM »
I'd just as soon not comment.

:mad:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 05:36:35 PM by DiabloTX »
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 05:40:47 PM »
...and the guy was already on probation.  They should have just shot the piece of ****, and saved the expense of having to try him the next time.

A couple of months back in Portland, three girls got beat up and robbed while waiting for the Max train (mass transit train), also with people standing around and watching.  Crazy.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
Re: Yet another reason why people disgust me.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 05:43:49 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
No one does anything.  Nothing.  Not a word, not an action.

Click me

§ 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person if:
(1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31 or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes
to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
(2) the actor reasonably believes that his intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

You Texan's are getting soft.

Reason number 465,003 why I carry.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 05:47:32 PM »
Seven people thumping his head would make him stop and think twice about a repeat performance.

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 05:47:32 PM »
This is why I am for concealed hand guns.
But for it to work one of the bystanders would have had to grow some eggs to pull the trigger.

I think that the courts would side with anyone who used deadly force to stop this kind of thing.

being the type of dummy I am I would have stepped in and probably got my butt kicked but I guaranty that I would have popped him a couple of times before he got me.

If just a couple of those spineless turds had of stepped in they could have saved the dude alot of pain.

God I hate bullies.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 05:50:40 PM »
Just standing there watching should be a crime as well.

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 05:52:47 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
Just standing there watching should be a crime as well.

In Texas if you have a concealed permit and are armed it IS a crime to do nothing.

If one reads the statute I believe It states this.
I might be wrong but I think this is right.

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 05:56:24 PM »
First..., I never go into a Bar if I'm carrying a Firearm.   But, for the sake of argument, let's say I had, and was there.  I could have pulled it out, fired two rounds, and stopped the attack.   (I hope..)

Then, even after the DA agrees that I used 'Justifiable Force' and no charges are filed.  I'll still be sued by the family of the Attacker for a 'Zillion Dollars' for Wrongful Death and be forced to spend my life savings to defend myself.

I didn't create our Society...., but I do have to live in it.  I'll risk it do defend myself but I'm so sorry that there's not much I can do for you...:(

storch

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 05:58:54 PM »
I was in a taco bell in coconut grove eating my lunch,  the guy at the next table was doing the same.  two medusa headed neighborhood toughs walked in eyed the place, sat at the guys table and took his lunch without a word.  I stopped eating as adrenalin rushed.  I eyed the medusas steadily.  if the white dude had so much as spoken up for himself I would have grabbed the one nearest me by his lockes and snapped his neck.  The guy just got up from the table and left the restaurant.  unbelievable brazeness and unbelievable cowardice on the part of the white dude.  members have repeatedly posted on here about this very illness in America.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 06:00:12 PM »
Originally posted by wombatt
In Texas if you have a concealed permit and are armed it IS a crime to do nothing.

If one reads the statute I believe It states this.
I might be wrong but I think this is right.

Same here.  In PA they council you pretty well when you go through this process (at least they did, me... might have been my age - went right after I turned 21).  In addition to exercising your "right" to carry a firearm you gain a host of new responsibilities; among them the responsibility to act accordingly in a situation such as this.

Dont know how many other states are like this, though.

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 06:13:59 PM »
storch, I think that guy did the right thing.

If he had started a fight with 2 gang members it wouldve ended ugly, not only for him but maybe for others.

a $8 meal is not worth your health or your life.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 06:23:44 PM »
Even if several people intervened at once, that guy was probably big enough to handle several.  

If some bystander had a gun, even in classic situation of smaller person needing firearm to deter or defend against larger person,  would be vulnerable to excessive force charges.  

From size of bystanders seen in the video, dialing 911 seems to have been the logical reaction.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 06:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by OIO
storch, I think that guy did the right thing.

If he had started a fight with 2 gang members it wouldve ended ugly, not only for him but maybe for others.

a $8 meal is not worth your health or your life.

And this is exactly why these azzhat bully types get away with it.

I would venture to guess the white dude was a not very imposing looking guy right?

Lets just say that if the white dude was diesel from the WWF i really doubt anything would have happened LOL.

People today are far to timid for there own good.
There are far many things worse in this world than an *** kicking.

Like being no body's punk and standing up for your self yea yea right i know one might get there clock cleaned but you know what the pride and self esteem you will gain for yourself will be well worth the price IMHO.

But thats just me LOL I got a face full of scares from adopting this
stance.

Offline spitfiremkv

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 06:28:02 PM »
yeah well let's assume there was no camera to film everything.
How could somebody who intervened prove that he wasn't actually attacking a person for no reason? Let's say nobody in that joint agreed to testify.
When I say intervened, I mean, it wouldn't be something like pulling that guy away, cause he's ****ing huge. By intervene I mean hitting him in the back of the head hard enough to knock him out. Or breaking something over his head. Or shooting hom. How else could that behemoth be stopped?
And without witnesses to back you up that qualifies as assault.

Not that I'm saying I wouldn't have done anything, but a lot of people are afraid of being sued.