Author Topic: Crime Drops 99%!  (Read 2111 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2005, 01:10:06 PM »
I have no clue how you vote ideologicaly. I dont think Laz has much to say to me. Having something to steal is not always the reason for the violence.

Doing the reasearch for your island the violence is happeneing with more frequency in the poorer demographic groups. Unless your government is scewing the stats for some unknown reason.

Curval it reads like you don't want to answer the question on what to do for your violence victems who want to save their own lives. That kinda leaves them in the pickle our neanderthal  ansestors were in with cave bears.  

You sound like you personaly have decided to play life's lottery and take your chances on not becomeing a victem before you pass off this planet. It is a common human trait. And in turn you really don't want to give a direct answer that can leave you labeled and locked into a corner that might paint you in a bad light.

At least with Laz he gives a direct blunt answer to these kinds of questions.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2005, 01:20:12 PM »
But Bustr... Curval knows the answer and knows WE know the answer.

If his wife, his kids or his life were threatened, he'd pick up anything he could use as a weapon and do the best he could. Of course, he'd be wishing he had a pistol when the big guy with the kitchen knife came after him but.. .hey, a broom is better than nothing.

;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2005, 02:01:06 PM »
Nine iron Toad...nine iron.

;)

One thing is for sure...I don't have to worry that my kids will get hit by a stray bullet, hurt/killed accidentally with a gun, or that the guys who are committing the violence now have easy access to guns..legal or otherwise.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2005, 02:12:14 PM »
Toad,

Curval is right in the issue of collateral damage. It is always a concern, or should be. I worry about it in my home when I drill the possibilites. I don't wish to harm the innocent or my loved ones in the process of neutralising a perp.

Many countries now deny citizens the opportunity to save their lives from violent encounters sighting this as one of the reasons. When you look at the cold statistics, the governments and some citizens can justify this direction based on the "real" numbers. After all they aren't dropping in the hundreds of thousands.  Small populations will have smaller numbers of violent deaths and violent crimes in apperance to the U.S. as a whole.

If you take your statistics against a state by state basis and compaire only one of the 50 states at a time, the deaths and acts of violence per 100,000 are about the same, and some states less for a given population.

But back to the original topic...I think... What do you do for those persons who "will" become a violent death or violence victem statistic, who for the lack of a means of self defence other wise would not have been?

Curval's argument, of what I can infer, argues the "WHAT IF" that the possibility exists that collateral damage "MAY" happen. The preponderance of the government statistices are people "will die from violence" and "be violently accosted" every year. So far Ive only really heard a great silence on this board concerning what to do for these people we know will be statistics each year. Under other circumstances the silence can be infered as a tacit approval.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2005, 03:13:48 PM »
A well known American once wrote the following:

" You die and go to Heaven, I'll stay here in Bermuda." - Mark Twain
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2005, 03:19:45 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Yup, just before the ban our governor, his aide-de-cap and his dog were all shot and killed.
Impressive huh?

It was a "Love Triangle" that went wrong....became a Double Murder Suicide real fast.  Who would have guessed that the dog was packin heat?

:rofl

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2005, 03:21:09 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
A well known American once wrote the following:

" You die and go to Heaven, I'll stay here in Bermuda." - Mark Twain

Bet he's not on-line in Burmuda....

:D