Author Topic: U.N. troops 'die in Congo ambush'  (Read 3562 times)

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
U.N. troops 'die in Congo ambush'
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2005, 07:20:19 PM »
Best thing the U.S. could do in Africa is to train one of the countries to be a puppet state.  Supply them with guns, training, and education, and hope that it spreads to the other countries there.

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2005, 02:37:30 AM »
Invade Iran?

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2005, 05:01:06 AM »
Donate more Bombs to Israel is better option Tronsky. :D

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2005, 05:41:58 AM »
Toad if you mean by prestige and authority that UN is supposed to bully the occupants and become occupyers, you've misunderstood of the whole peacekeeping operation. That's more like the role the US has taken. Probably you think everyone else should act the same way.

The idea behind the UN should be that the combatants would honor and respect the voluntary effort the peacekeepers are putting for thier country. The whole system is based on trust really. The means to achieve the goal is _peaceful_ intervention. The biggest problem is naturally how to act when someone breaks that trust, like it has happened often lately.

It's therefore possible that the principles behind the UN action were unrealistic and naive. Probably a lot stronger actions are necessary to make any real difference in the cases where true criminals are in question. Criminals who do not value human rights or the value of life.

That kind of criminals can be dealt with only in one way - surgical removal. But as long as the leadership of the world is full of sissies and treehugging politically correct ladies, the countries will never unite to form a true force that would dictate the rules and supervise them effectively.

Hitler was close to achieve that situation. ;) That fact remains no matter what you think of the ideology behind his actions.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2005, 09:02:52 AM »
uh... if a bunch of foreign guys speaking jiberish and carruing assault rifles and dribving military vehicles come to my town I'm gonna figure they are the enemy no matter how stylish their helmet color.

lazs

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2005, 09:17:41 AM »
Ahh, that would be National Guard troops from Washington D.C.

Jiberish is the native language there.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2005, 09:29:39 AM »
I would never consider washington dc  "my town"

It is a great place to zombie hunt tho so I would probly join the guard in that case.

lazs

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2005, 10:37:44 AM »
After U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan demanded the killers be hunted down, Congo said it was investigating jointly with MONUC but that there had been no arrests.

link

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2005, 10:57:03 AM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
The idea behind the UN should be that the combatants would honor and respect the voluntary effort the peacekeepers are putting for thier country. The whole system is based on trust really. The means to achieve the goal is _peaceful_ intervention.
[/b]

Right. So send civilian construction engineers and beat cops. The can still wear little blue helmets but there's obviously no point in arming them. The helmets can have tiny loudspeakers and battery packs that broadcast "We have come in peace" in the native language every 2 minutes.

It's therefore possible that the principles behind the UN action were unrealistic and naive. Probably a lot stronger actions are necessary to make any real difference in the cases where true criminals are in question. Criminals who do not value human rights or the value of life.

NO! Say it ain't so, Shoeless Joe!  (Perhaps you're getting a glimpse of why so many view the UN as worthless?  Nah... hope springs eternal in the human breast.)

That kind of criminals can be dealt with only in one way - surgical removal. But as long as the leadership of the world is full of sissies and treehugging politically correct ladies, the countries will never unite to form a true force that would dictate the rules and supervise them effectively.

NO! Say it ain't so, Shoeless Joe!  (Perhaps you're getting a glimpse of why so many view the UN as worthless?  Nah... hope springs eternal in the human breast.)

(Sorry to repeat myself.)

Like I said, the Bangladeshis died for no purpose. The UN should quit sending soldiers that they won't allow to fight. Perhaps the UN should form a corps of sissies and treehugging politically correct ladies and send THEM instead. Win/win no matter how it turns out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2005, 11:22:17 AM »
No. I hear they give wonderful garden parties and lovely teas.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2005, 11:26:36 AM »
Originally posted by Toad

Like I said, the Bangladeshis died for no purpose. The UN should quit sending soldiers that they won't allow to fight. Perhaps the UN should form a corps of sissies and treehugging politically correct ladies and send THEM instead. Win/win no matter how it turns out. [/B]

Toad did you read the link you did post?
Here; let me help you:
"
(CNN) --
U.N. troops 'die in Congo ambush'[(b]

At least nine U.N. peacekeepers have been killed after unidentified gunmen attacked two patrols in the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to the U.N.

One U.N. source said it was unclear how many troops had been on patrol but the number should have been between 20 and 30.
He said 90 peacekeepers backed by two Mi25 attack helicopters had since been sent to the scene.
"

So they were ambushed and had casualties. Well that happens quite often when soldiers got ambushed you know?
Out of 20-30 men 9 died. Heavy toll but nothing new in combat zone; I'm sure you have read similar stories from Iraq.
You said UN soldiers were not allowed to fight... well from 20-30 soldiers 9 died; what happened to the rest?

Also if they aren't allowed to fight... Why send more troops backed up with a frigging Mi-25 "Hind" attack helicopters?? Were they sposed to act as moving targets or what?

Man You don't make much sense.

Please explain.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2005, 11:44:31 AM »
Explain the whole Rwandan thing for me then please. Maj. Gen. Romeo Dallaire sent a fax to the Department of Peacekeeping Operations at UN headquarters in New York informing officials that a genocide was being planned. Dallaire outlined the genocide plans in considerable detail and asked permission to take preventive action.

The same day, he received a reply from the UN telling him that he had no mandate to act.

Why send soldiers? What's the point?  Window dressing?

They figure about 800,000 Rwandans died while several thousand UN "Peacekeepers" were there.

Explain the Dutch Batt to me again then. About 7,000 Muslim males were killed in Srebrenica... well, massacred by the Bosnian Serb army.  While the "Peacekeepers" stood by.

You send a bunch of soldiers with guns, after they are invited but if the killing goes on these soldiers are expected to.... withdraw?

Is that how it works?

If so, then like I said, quit sending soldiers. There's no point to it.

Or maybe do the same thing but call the troops "UN Powerless Observers of Slaughter". At least it'd be an honest name.

Best of all... don't send troops. Face it, if all you are going to do is  oversee a ceasefire or peace treaty as a neutral third party and report to both sides on what they see then you don't need soldiers. Sissies and treehugging politically correct ladies will serve just as well in that role.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2005, 12:07:18 PM »
I see Toad wasn't interested to answer my question. Oh well.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2005, 12:15:21 PM »
I don't see where you asked a question.

Maybe you can explain Rwanda and Srebrenica to me then? Since G seems to have been left speechless.

If they fight... how did those two things happen?

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2005, 12:27:44 PM »
Also if they aren't allowed to fight... Why send more troops backed up with a frigging Mi-25 "Hind" attack helicopters?? Were they sposed to act as moving targets or what?