Author Topic: Evidence for life on Mars  (Read 3621 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Evidence for life on Mars
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2005, 11:25:10 PM »
Good job!! Now maybe some shampoo and creme rinse for that mop in your avatar!   :p
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2005, 11:33:43 PM »
My publicist said that that photo was worth millions in publicity.  It only took three hours at the stylist, a night in the tank, and three weeks at Betty Ford and it almost made up for being in that bomb "Hulk".
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Re: False prophesies. Short list huh?
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2005, 12:23:26 AM »
Hi Siaf_Csf,

As I was reading through your list I was reminded of a fellow who said to me 'Jesus said "Man shall not live by bread alone" when bread is the staple diet of many cultures.' My comment at the time was, "I think you've missed his point..."

Anyway, regardless of whether you actually believe the testimony of the bible, these examples aren't following the narrative - even, and I stress this point - if you view the bible simply as literature. Let me give you a few examples of what I mean.  

Originally posted by Siaf__csf
False Prophecies, Broken Promises, and Misquotes in the Bible

The prophets prophesy lies in my name.--Jer.14:14

God here was condemning the false prophets who propped up the corrupt Kingdom of Judah assuring them they would have peace and prosperity despite the Lord's assurances through true prophets like Jeremiah, that they would be conquered by Babylon and brought into captivity. Jeremiah 6:13-14 " "Because from the least of them even to the greatest of them, Everyone is given to covetousness; And from the prophet even to the priest, Everyone deals falsely. They have also healed the hurt of My people slightly, Saying, 'Peace, peace!' When there is no peace."

Genesis

1. God says that if Adam eats from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, then the day that he does so, he will die. But later Adam eats the forbidden fruit (3:6) and yet lives for another 930 years (5:5). 2:17
[/b]
Prior to the coming of the curse that resulted from Adam and Eve breaking God's commandment, death did not exist in the world. The promise was true, when you eat of it, you will die. And so they did, they took, and death entered into the world. The tree was a test, a probation, don't eat and live forever, eat and face the consequences of the curse of Gen. 3 - death, sin, and hardship. God could have destroyed them at once, but his intention was still to populate and eventually redeem the earth (see Gen. 1:22, Gen. 3:16)

Anyway, that's just the first two comments. Some of the rest seem to suffer from the fact that the compiler doesn't seem to realize that the Apostles in the NT are quoting the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Old Testament from memory, thus he says for instance  in #37 that Heb.10:5-6. misquotes Psalm 40:6.  As Psalms Commentator Dr. Robert Rayburn points out: "The author understands the citation of Psalm 40:6–8 in verses 5–7 to be prophetic of Christ. The author takes the phrase a body you prepared for me from the Septuagint rather than the Hebrew Masoretic Text, as referring to the body the Son of God assumed at his incarnation, the human nature in which he obeyed God and died in his people’s place (2:14; 5:8; cf. John 6:38; Phil. 2:7–8). The citation is perfectly suited because it compares the Levitical sacrifices unfavorably with the work of Christ." Others suffer from bad quotations or exegesis like #11 which fails to realize that Gen. 48:21 was a blessing - "but God will be with you, and bring you back to the land of your fathers" not a prophesy and as it turns out his body was returned to rest with his fathers when the Israelites were freed from captivity. Whoever the compiler is, I hope no one in a service industry ever said "Be with you in just a minute." his likely response when they got to him, was "LIAR!"

Now if you want (and I really don't want to do this, and sense most others don't as well) I am willing to go through the list and point out the problems which each citation if you think that will help. But I wonder would that prove anything? As the proverb says, "any stick will do to beat a dog." If your presupposition is that the bible can't be true because of what it teaches, what will it accomplish to argue over individual verses seriatim?

I recently had a conversation with a relative who was saying "I can't believe that the Bible is the word of God because of issue X" So we discussed issue X to the point where he conceded that issue X wasn't really a problem after all. 10 seconds later it was "I can't believe that the Bible is the word of God because of issue Y." Finally we finished with me saying "look that's really what the Apostles wrote, they believed it, they died for that belief, the question is, do you believe what they wrote is true?" For most, including my relative, the answer is no. That was certainly the case with me for many years, and no amount of evidence to the contrary was going to shift my presuppositions.

So Siaf, if it'll really advance the conversation, I'll do the legwork, but if not we both probably have a lot of work to get to.  

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2005, 05:05:31 AM »

:D

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2005, 09:54:09 AM »
So Siaf, if it'll really advance the conversation, I'll do the legwork, but if not we both probably have a lot of work to get to.

Seagoon, please don't. It's clear to me that you've dedicated your life to the cause you firmly believe in and I can only respect that. So it would be merely a waste of your time for you to start explaining the verses one by one (I believe there were hundreds of examples.) It would be an act of futility as it would not change my opinnion.

I'm just teasing Jackal at this point to see if he finally realises that the flood story in the Bible is simply impossible to have happened the way he believes it was. Even if that won't happen, I'll still get a few chuckles out of it.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2005, 09:57:32 AM »
I`m assuming you can read what you posted and comprehend it at the same time. Am I giving you too much credit here?

Well duh maybe I really meant everyone on the planet _except_ Noah and his family? Maybe?

Next time put Drediocks 8-year old to translate the text to you, she seems smarter than you. Drediock, you should be proud of her. :D

One surviving family = starting human kind from scratch. Now which part you failed to understand there?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 10:00:22 AM by Siaf__csf »

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2005, 10:54:28 AM »
Siaf,

You seem to be missing a point here. No one forces you to believe as they do. No one makes you conform to their particular religious beliefs. Why do you feel it is your job to ridicule their belief? If you do not believe, that is your perogative. What is not your perogative is to demean or belittle a person simply because you do not share their belief.

In the end, no matter what you believe, you will know the truth after you pass on.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2005, 11:05:17 AM »
LOL..can you imagine the stir if they found ancient structures, and inside was a plaque on the wall of the Ten Commandments?

~AoM~

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2005, 11:33:41 AM »
What is not your perogative is to demean or belittle a person simply because you do not share their belief.

Maverick I'm just pointing out serious flaws in the scriptures that any adult should realize immediately. I was told the scriptures were inerrant. :rolleyes:

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2005, 11:46:10 AM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
I'm just teasing Jackal at this point to see if he finally realises that the flood story in the Bible is simply impossible to have happened the way he believes it was. Even if that won't happen, I'll still get a few chuckles out of it.

Well slick that would be a little hard for you to do since you have absolutely no way of knowing how I believed it happened. :D
Proud you are gettin a few chuckles out of puttin in text and proving yourself ignorant and uninformed on the subjects that you have discussed from the beginning of this thread because I have been finding it hilarious to watch you make an utter fool of yourself. I`m a firm believer in automation and you are a prime example of that. All that needs to be done with you is add fuel (read that as bait) and you are off and running, full tilt to prove just how little you actualy know instead of what you think you know.
Also , once again, I`d like to say how interesting it was to watch you squirm and dance around that one very important indgredient of the subjects you have discussed.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 11:48:49 AM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2005, 12:02:39 PM »
Originally posted by SunTracker
Take a year of college biology, that will suck the religion out of ya.

7th year of elementary school did same to me :D

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2005, 12:17:59 PM »
Also , once again, I`d like to say how interesting it was to watch you squirm and dance around that one very important indgredient of the subjects you have discussed.

Dance and squirm? Which subject?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 12:38:40 PM by Siaf__csf »

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2005, 12:35:46 PM »
that would be a little hard for you to do since you have absolutely no way of knowing how I believed it happened.

Actually that's correct, you didn't post much on the subject. In fact, the only thing you posted was that you didn't believe in evolution and then progressed to make totally empty comments on a discussion where you obviously had nothing to contribute to.

It was my mistake to assume you were one of those who think Bible is inerrant.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2005, 12:46:03 PM »
One mistake shouldn`t mean that much to ya. Seems to be the norm for you.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2005, 12:50:29 PM »
Instead of punching those sarcastic comments try contributing some.

What's your stance to the ark story?

Wait, you probably won't dare to make any comment at all. It's hard to make mistakes if you do nothing but judge others. :D

What do you refer to with the dance and squirm? Or are you afraid to answer that too.