Author Topic: How to make emphasis on cruise speed ?  (Read 636 times)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
How to make emphasis on cruise speed ?
« on: March 04, 2005, 02:16:06 AM »
<= No idea ... yet :D

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 03:25:20 AM »
Hmm.. you want to improve your pickup rate or what?

Try stopping to one of those parking areas.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 07:09:12 AM »
I use cruise speed all the time.  And not only when I'm short on gas.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 09:58:30 AM »
i also, and the E6B card is really handy.

eng could overheat and suffer damage if run on full power too long.  no,thats too much realism, i just want to furball.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 10:01:56 AM by john9001 »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 10:16:36 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
eng could overheat and suffer damage if run on full power too long.  no,thats too much realism, i just want to furball.

Actually that is less realism.  That would be a gamey contrivance to force the use of cruise speed.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 11:48:39 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Actually that is less realism.  That would be a gamey contrivance to force the use of cruise speed.

AH2 is not realistic.  These aircraft required warm up times even in the warm pacific and the use of cowl flaps to control engine heat and engine cooling.  I have some stick time in actual war birds and minimum warm up time in July for an F4U is 7 min.  In January  its 20 min.  a full power climb without adjusting the cowl flaps could leave you with a sick engine.

Aircraft didn't just pop up on the end of a runway ready for take off.  They had to be assigned to a mission, then  armed,  then gased , then the pilots waited for their assigned start times and taxi times.  Airfields were defended not by a ready CAP sitting on the gound waiting to launch,  but by a flying CAP that was already at alt.  If you wanted to protect a base or area against attack , you planned to have a CAP in place.  If you wanted a 4 plane CAP for a period of 8 or 12 hours that required 5 groups of 4 or 20 Aircraft. (fighter squadrons was 22 aircraft)

It would be very interesting to see an arena that contained a more accurate model, a model that included wear and tear, that required warm up and cool down time, limited instead of unlimited fuel, limited aircraft because of required repairs or lose of support manpower because of death.  down time of the aircraft for normal maintainence.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 11:54:55 AM »
I also use cruise regularly.

None of the planes I like to fly have more than 25 minutes of flight time at military power at MA altitudes, so I usually grab to about 10~12k and cruise around until I find an enemy plane, and then engage full power. Climb back to alt after the fight, and then cruise around again.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 11:57:16 AM »
Originally posted by Traveler
...I have some stick time in actual war birds...

Which?

...It would be very interesting to see an arena that contained a more accurate model, a model that included wear and tear, that required warm up and cool down time, limited instead of unlimited fuel, limited aircraft because of required repairs or lose of support manpower because of death.  down time of the aircraft for normal maintainence.

In a CT/MA type setting you would pretty much be sitting on the runway warming up your engine for 20 minutes in the arena by yourself.

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 12:24:26 PM »
I have some stick time in actual war birds ....

It wasn't 500 hours in a P-51 I hope?  Was your dad a retired general that owned a b-17?  If not, sorry, but I know inquiring minds would want to know the answers to these questions....:D

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 12:43:48 PM »
Originally quoted by Traveler:
It would be very interesting to see an arena that contained a more accurate model, a model that included wear and tear, that required warm up and cool down time, limited instead of unlimited fuel, limited aircraft because of required repairs or lose of support manpower because of death.

IL2 has a more involved "realistic" engine management sytem than AH.  However, in my experience, it becomes a bother quickly.  A bit like eye candy, or when you first learned to shave.  Mixture control, engine overheat damage, cooling/cowling flaps, prop pitch/rpm, supercharger manual stage settings, and fuel tanks are part of the engine management model.  However, much like driving a manual shift car, once you do this enough it becomes second nature and is 'not so cool' anymore.

Of course, that is only my opinion.

Regards,

Malta

p.s. AH currenly has limited fuel, and the E6B information allows you to use max range cruise.

Offline Gunslngr

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.skbg.org
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 12:58:48 PM »
SkJohn, you look familiar......

Do I know you from somewhere?????

Originally posted by SKJohn
It wasn't 500 hours in a P-51 I hope?  Was your dad a retired general that owned a b-17?  If not, sorry, but I know inquiring minds would want to know the answers to these questions....:D

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 01:06:16 PM »
Originally posted by SKJohn

There is a whole business world out there built around the Air Show.  I happend to have  worked as a flight instructor and banner tower for an operator  that shared space with a company that also supplied WarBirds to airshows for fly bys and static display.  They had a P40, F4U B25 and TBM and two A6's.  They were based at Allair Air Park, now called Monmouth Executive Airport in NJ.  I have thousands of hours in 727's and flew the line for Eastern Airlines for many years.   I also towed banners up and down the Jersey shore for a lot of years and have thousands of hours in tail dragers, J3, supper CUBs C180.  I owned my own J3, a 1946, 65HP which was also displayed at many airshows as a static display for 20 years.  The owner of the War Bird business asked me if I'd be willing to work for him ferring the aircraft from time to time.  His insurance company liked the fact that I was airline trained ex Military and I flew with a check pilot in the A6 for 25 hours prior to getting the keys to the F4U.  I've flown the P40 and the F4U and aside from doing unusual attatudes and stalls in the A6, it's all stright and level, point A to point B and return when flying the P40 and F4U.  The company gets 5K a day for static displays and an additional 2.5K for flyovers.  If you are in the Jersey Shore area between Sandy Hook and Atlantic City on any given day in the Summer Time after the heat of the day has passed, you can see a flight of three or four sometimes five aircraft, flying up or down the coast at a 1000 feet giving the oil coolers a workout and keeping the engins sealed.  You will hear us before you see us and once you look up and see us, it's a sight that you will always remember.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 01:23:45 PM »
Traveler,
That's really cool!  You have a job most of us would give our left .... for!
Please don't take my previous post the wrong way.  It was meant in a toungue in cheek manner.  Hence, the smiley  after the post.  As you may or may not know there was recently a person on here claiming to have 500 hours or so in a P-51, but when people asked him for his credentials, he disappeared.

Again, I think you've had what most of us here would consider to be a dream job.  I know that I'm defintely jealous!

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 01:24:55 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslngr
SkJohn, you look familiar......

Do I know you from somewhere?????

NO!  I don't know you!  What are you doing posting while you're supposed to be at work?!  Now get back to work or I'm telling Mom!!!!!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 01:37:20 PM »
Traveler,

I did not say AH was realistic.  I said that having the engines break from one flight at higher than cruise power was not realistic.  The same is true of IL-2's engine overheating.  It is not realistic.

As for the arena yu want, ToD is in production and it sounds like it will be more of what you want, though you'll still have to forgo the warm up I'd imagine.

Why you'd want limited fuel is beyond me though.  It's not really fun when you can't fly at all.  The novelty wears off quickly.  The MA used to be that way, all along the front there would only be 25% fuel available.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-