Author Topic: Your computer is not a typewriter...  (Read 784 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Your computer is not a typewriter...
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2005, 02:21:10 PM »
I'm betting there are more than just two. ;)
sand

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2005, 02:22:40 PM »
Man, is Sandy a big anal-retentive homo or what?  I think he needs to find a hobby, or maybe become an English teacher that every student hates.  One space, two spaces, who gives a flip, eh?  Certainly not me, or any sane person out there.  On the other hand, I could just be typing this to be an ass.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2005, 02:30:50 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
Man, is Sandy a big anal-retentive homo or what?  I think he needs to find a hobby, or maybe become an English teacher that every student hates.  One space, two spaces, who gives a flip, eh?  Certainly not me, or any sane person out there.  On the other hand, I could just be typing this to be an ass.

I could go back to the standard complaints (Bush sucks), but that subject is so tired. :p
sand

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2005, 02:38:22 PM »
LOL, chit, I apologize for my negativity, and applaud you for your choice of subject!  Anything but Intardnet politics!
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2005, 05:24:21 PM »
(QUOTE)

For me, it depends on the font. Sometimes, the added space makes it harder to read.

...and then there are the people that use two spaces AND center justify the text. It's a pain in the bellybutton to read.

(UNQUOTE)

Ugh, never liked justifying text.  Always prefer flush left ragged right, which, fortunately, most programs seem inclined toward nowadays.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2005, 09:28:47 PM »

God uses two spaces.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2005, 09:55:28 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
One space, two spaces, who gives a flip, eh? Certainly not me, or any sane person out there.

Actually this used to drive me completely nuts. Lets say you had to design an annual report. A hundred pages or so. Then a bunch of copy pours in from some old dude who gave up typing and hired a secretary decades before anyone even knew what a Wang was.

Of course, everything has two spaces. And of course, they look butterin' stoopid when you copy/paste them into the year 1995 or whenever. So you gotta go through and get rid of each and every extra space.

My god what a pain in the arse that was. I've since graduated beyond my text masseuse days.... but when I hear the groans being emitted from cubicles outside my door, it's a pretty safe bet that someone just received an email and looked at the Word attachment.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2005, 09:55:04 PM »
Heh, yeah, that brings back memories.  Considerate contributors would check the style book at manuscript destination and type accordingly.  

But ... some had other priorities or just were blissfully unaware -- until notified their manuscript was unacceptable until it conformed to style requirements.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous