Author Topic: Why do some people feel the need to sit near others?  (Read 853 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Why do some people feel the need to sit near others?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2005, 06:51:27 PM »
Originally posted by DieAz
same here. usually a glaring look, cast in their direction, they move along to another area.

Oh it works.
Thing is for me at least. My wife tells me I sometimes just naturally have this really intence stare and she often asks me whats wrong. I'll say "nothing why?"

And she'll say. "You were staring at that person as though you were going to kill them." Thing is I dont realise Im doing it and often while I may be looking in the direction of someone Im not really seeing them but thinking about something totally different.

Also I sometimes have the habit of looking at people right in the eyes when Im talking to them which sometimes is unnerving to some people. Something else the wife gets on me about. Again saying Im looking at them like Im going to kill them.
Unless its a woman Im looking at/talking to then according to her I'm looking at them like Im "going to eat them"

Again. None if this is intentional...well most of the time anyway.
I do have some fun with it from time to time though.

But since she keeps pointing this out I try to get into the habit of intentionally not looking directly at people when I first meet them.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2005, 07:24:49 PM »
Like most critters, humans prefer to run in packs -- or herds, depending on the ratio of vegetarians.  

Safety in numbers ... all of us is smarter than any of us ... ad infinitum.  

It would be much more cause for concern if people did not want to sit near you.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2005, 08:14:24 PM »
Very funny Chairboy:lol :rofl  The trouble is, now everyone here in work is looking at me oddly.

There is definitely a herd instinct.  But what does it say about the likes of me and GtoRa?  There are always what I call the 'players' and the 'sheep'.  I see it a lot when I'm driving across country.  The players like me are overtaking and passing and hate to be stuck behind someone.  The sheep stick together and baa madly when someone passes them.

You see in the Aces High main arena.  The runstangs and the people who won't fight. I break into every bogie I see and usually get shot down for my pains. But at least I try.  

You see it in Paintball.  Some people hide in the bushes while a few do the fighting.  

It's the same in real war, some fighting, most hiding or shooting blindly.

I suppose I'm not a 'team player' No I want take over the team and make it mine. :aok . The 'flock' always needs a  sheepdog. ;) .

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
next time ...
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2005, 08:20:34 PM »
belch and pass gas - LOUDLY

that should help the seating arrangements in your immediate vicinity
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2005, 08:24:57 PM »
I wait on the pass gas part tell they start eating. Punishment for being sheep.

storch

Re: next time ...
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2005, 08:36:06 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
belch and pass gas - LOUDLY

that should help the seating arrangements in your immediate vicinity

That absolutely works.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2005, 01:20:51 AM »
:confused:  I never have this problem. Ah, that's right. I live in Japan so no one ever sits next to the big, scary gaijin. It's kind of funny, really.

I was at a coffee shop once and there was a row of chairs along a counter facing the window looking out over the sidewalk. There was also several tables and chair, plus a counter people could stand to drink their coffee. { :rolleyes: }

As I got my coffee and went to sit down, I noticed an unusual opportunity. There was another gaijin sitting at the counter.

Here is a schematic:

X = an empty chair.
O = a chair occupied by another gaijin.

============  <-- window
 |__________|     <-- counter
  X O X  X  X  X

A    /      B      C      D      E

So, where did I sit?

Naturally, I sat at chair D. That way we could relax and take up the entire counter without anyone sitting near us. No one would sit at chairs A, B, C or E. All the Japanese customers coming in after that would squish into all the tables or stand. Some even stood in the middle of the place drinking their coffee, rather than sit in the open chairs.

:D

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2005, 01:24:46 AM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
nope Funky, you go get the food, they don't bring it to ya.

Only one area was further then the rest.

I am leaning towards many people having a bit of the herd animal in them. Safety in numbers and all.

Was a good burger though if you are in the area try it.

Hmm Funky doesnt seem to know about Clarke's...  

How can this be? This oversight must be corrected immediately!

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2005, 06:17:13 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
B- I look for the least populated area and sit with my back to a wall  preferably in a dark corner and where I can most easily view all entrances and exits. Including windows. While sneering and emiting semi quiet growling noises in the direction of anyone else that looks like they are  thinking of sitting near me;)

Hehe....I'd already be there growling at u. ;)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2005, 06:55:10 AM »
Originally posted by aztec
Hehe....I'd already be there growling at u. ;)

Well then I'd haveta start snarling and barking at ya then:)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty