Author Topic: pee or else...  (Read 1716 times)

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
pee or else...
« on: March 17, 2005, 06:51:04 PM »
ORLANDO, Fla. -- A police officer twice used a Taser stun device on a drug suspect who was restrained to a hospital bed because the man refused to give a urine sample to medical staff, authorities said.

Antonio Wheeler, 18, was arrested Friday on a drug charge and taken to an emergency room after telling officers he had consumed cocaine, police said.

Because Wheeler said he had used the drugs, Florida Hospital officials wanted a urine sample. A police affidavit said Wheeler wouldn't provide a sample on his own, so workers tried to catheterize him to get one.

Antonio Wheeler
The police document said Wheeler was handcuffed to a hospital bed and then secured with leather straps after he refused to urinate in a cup. When medical staff tried to insert a catheter to get the sample, Wheeler refused and began thrashing around, the affidavit said.

At one point, police officer Peter Linnenkamp reported, he jumped on the bed with his knees on Wheeler's chest to restrain him. When Wheeler still refused to let the catheter be inserted, Linnenkamp said he twice used his Taser, which sends 50,000 volts into a target.

"After the second shock (Wheeler) stated he would urinate and calmed down enough to be given the portable urinal," Linnenkamp wrote.

At the request of Police Chief Michael McCoy, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the incident.

Linnenkamp, who has more than 18 years on the force, has no history of disciplinary problems, said Sgt. Barbara Jones, a department spokeswoman.

He has been relieved pending the investigation's outcome. Jones said officers in such suspensions usually are paid.

In a Tuesday interview at the Orange County jail, Wheeler acknowledged that he aggressively resisted efforts to insert the catheter because he was scared it would hurt. He said the police officer told him the catheter would be necessary if he wouldn't or couldn't urinate on his own.

"I feel I was basically raped," Wheeler said.

Said Amnesty International USA spokesman Edward Jackson: "If this had taken place in China, it would be an egregious violation of human rights, and the public would be outraged.

"I hope that they don't allow the fact that it happened on U.S. soil deter from the fact that this may very well be a case of torture."

Florida Hospital spokeswoman Melanie Trivento said in a statement Wednesday that hospital officials wouldn't be able to comment on the case until they have thoroughly reviewed it.

"This is a very unusual situation and we are examining all of the circumstances surrounding the incident," the statement said.

Earlier, another hospital spokeswoman, Samantha O'Lenick, said she could not speak specifically about the Wheeler case but said hospital protocol calls for urine samples whenever patients say they have taken drugs or alcohol.

Wheeler was being held on $7,500 bail on charges including possession of cocaine with intent to sell, escape and resisting without violence.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.wftv.com/news/4266952/detail.html
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
pee or else...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 07:00:22 PM »
Sheesh.

A bit impatient no?

All they hadta do is leave him cuffed put a condom on him (to collect the pee in)
And wait for nature to take its course.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
pee or else...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 07:05:23 PM »
protect and serve

Offline mora

• Gold Member
pee or else...
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 07:19:32 PM »
Can you really be forced to submit an urine sample in the US? Can you be convicted based on it's findings?

In most western countries it's illegal to posses and consume illegal drugs, but it's not illegal to have it in your system.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 07:22:20 PM by mora »

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
pee or else...
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 07:27:38 PM »
WOA WOA WOA WOA

WTF IS THIS

Said Amnesty International USA spokesman Edward Jackson: "If this had taken place in China, it would be an egregious violation of human rights, and the public would be outraged.

"I hope that they don't allow the fact that it happened on U.S. soil deter from the fact that this may very well be a case of torture."

That is bull crap.  Freakin amerihating media is really pissin me off lately

storch

pee or else...
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 07:33:08 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
WOA WOA WOA WOA

WTF IS THIS

That is bull crap.  Freakin amerihating media is really pissin me off lately

put them on airhead's ignore list!!!  (that'll teach'm) :D

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
pee or else...
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 07:37:31 PM »
Originally posted by mora
Can you really be forced to submit an urine sample in the US? Can you be convicted based on it's findings?

In most western countries it's illegal to posses and consume illegal drugs, but it's not illegal to have it in your system.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 08:30:35 PM by bigsky »
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
pee or else...
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 08:41:29 PM »
Guns, I gotta agree with the guy from AI. If it had happened in China, we would be calling foul. There was no need to zap him. Time would have won the contest.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
pee or else...
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 08:47:56 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
Guns, I gotta agree with the guy from AI. If it had happened in China, we would be calling foul. There was no need to zap him. Time would have won the contest.

Nope,

If he's freaking out like he was then he could be a danger to the hospital staff... OR HIMSELF.

The taser did exactly what it was supposed to.  It broke his will to resist and made him cooperate.  What would have happend if they'd had the cathider halfway in and he started this crap.  He would have really injured himself.

If he would have just given the Urine sample this wouldnt have happened.

In this situation it wasn't the police that wanted it but the hospital staff.  They have every right to get that from a patient under their care.

EDIT:
I will say this though.  After having re-read the article for the above question it would have been better if the hospital sedated him rather than tasing him.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
pee or else...
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 09:02:16 PM »
...In this situation it wasn't the police that wanted it but the hospital staff.  They have every right to get that from a patient under their care...

Uhmm, no they don't.

What the police officer and hospital staff accomplished was to make this criminal a very wealthy man.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
pee or else...
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 09:03:50 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
Uhmm, no they don't.

If they suspect an overdose or the patient may be a danger to himself....yes they do.

It probably wont be admisable in court though.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
pee or else...
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 09:04:16 PM »
Originally posted by bigsky
Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Hell... don't forget this one also:

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
sand

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
pee or else...
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 09:04:57 PM »
Nope,

The taser did exactly what it was supposed to.  It broke his will to resist and made him cooperate.
wow i dint know tazers were for that.
http://www.taser.com/index.htm
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
pee or else...
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 09:22:58 PM »
Taser-ed to make him pee?

Sorry, no way can I support that.

Like someone said, put a condom with drain tube to bottle on him.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
pee or else...
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 09:36:31 PM »
They can't take blood sample? Cop tased him so dude would come down....not so he can piss in a cup. :rolleyes: