Author Topic: what's this mean?  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
what's this mean?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 03:34:39 PM »
People blame Microsoft, because to admit the truth, they would have to be pissed at themselves.  Back to that 'accepting responsibility for your actions' kind of thing.
Next remark, 'what choice do we have?'.

And so on.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 03:46:33 PM »
As far as the what choice do we have...well unless you build your own..or go way out of your way...in just about all your retail stores (where most computers are purchased) PC's come with windows...

Personally I've never had a problem with it..though I prefer Firefox and Thunderbird for browser and Mail apps..but thats just my  preference since without having to use many tools..they aren't really targeted much right now.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
what's this mean?
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 03:50:34 PM »
The thing is... most people are not able to operate or maintain a computer even on a basic level. At least MS is kinda user friendly to these people.

If Linux, which is FREE, was as user friendly as Windows you'd see Windows out.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 03:57:27 PM »
It's all Bush's fault!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 03:59:07 PM »
Maybe,  but you would need some big system makers to push it, like Dell and or Gateway.

Most users prolly have no idea there is a choice or even what an O/S does lol.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 03:59:17 PM »
running SP2, no problems

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 04:03:17 PM »
I still remember when my box was under OS/2 to make devellopement for Windows 3+ :D

As of right now XP is pretty good, best OS they have ever done.

Was about time !

And I don't consider it's truly a MS product ... didn't hired almost all brains availlable in the industrie to make it ?
hmmm ?

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2005, 04:05:56 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
People blame Microsoft, because to admit the truth, they would have to be pissed at themselves.  Back to that 'accepting responsibility for your actions' kind of thing.
Next remark, 'what choice do we have?'.

And so on.
my own actions aside, i know unless i become a programmer, and develop my own game to run on linux or something i should not complain....

what botheres me about this article i linked to is how microsoft is basically "forcing" (for lack of a better word) SP2 on the public, when they still "somewhat" support win98 (last i checked)

what is the urgent rush to make the world use SP2? i mean look at all the holes reported in the news it has, and imagine the either non-reported or not known yet.

right from the get-go all i have heard is what a terrible dissapointment SP2 has been, and how it has been flawed from the begining.

i know how to administer my own system, and should be fine, but i have had 3 squaddies put in SP2 and have nothing but problems to the point they had to re-format, one (JB18) IIRC is in communication with you trying to resolv getting AH  to run.

alot of theses guys who have had problems with SP2 are either tech savy, or have good access to tech savy people.

with all the changes SP2 makes to the system, imagine the confusion with some grandma who goes to check her email from her grandson, to find IE wont let her online, and she has to "install" something.

i have seen situations like that too many times to say MS has no responsibility. they make products that forces the user to do what they (MS) wants.

if i buy a riding lawnmower, and disengage the blade to drive down the country road to a neighbors should my mower stop and ejector seat me off, saying it is an illegal operation?

i know, extreme example, but thats the "control" it seems microsoft is trying to take over our PC lives lately, that is what irks me.

yes i can use firefox and the like, personally i hate the firefox interface though, and i can't go to the AH expanded stats anyway.

oh well rant off, just random thoughts.. i give up discussing the evil conglomarate / monopoly the is microsoft.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
what's this mean?
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005, 04:06:56 PM »
There is nothing friendly about Windows.  It is the most obscure and convoluted operating system ever devised.

There is no such thing as an 'intuitive' or 'user-friendly' operating system.  And do not tell me it is easier than so and so.

It all depends on what you have learned or were taught.  I find UNIX to be far friendlier and easier to use than any Windows system ever created.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
what's this mean?
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2005, 04:12:46 PM »
Yeah Skuzzy...you feel that way because you know what's up. Try to give a Unix system to an average dipchit and ask them to install even one program.

Windows is consumer friendly.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2005, 04:14:31 PM »
JB73
 They are pushing SP2 because it is the latest version. SP1 had just as many holes if not more.

It's the way they have always done things, there is nothing new here.

If you call support from almost any company one of the first things they are going to ask is what version their software is, if you are not on the latest, they send you to get it. Many will send you to get SP2 as well.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
what's this mean?
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2005, 04:17:38 PM »
The only thing MS supports concerning 98 is IE6.x and that is it.  Official support for it was dropped around 10/2004, along with ME.

Let me be clear on something, so there is no doubt.  I detest and am jealous of the monopoly they enjoy.  They took advantage of all the ignorant people they could (unfortunately, most of them are in a position of power in our government) and managed to create this wonderful monopoly.

However, if it were not for the ignorant users, the MS plan would have failed.  You will hear many argue MS did a good thing by taking control of the OS marketplace and forcing every programmer on the planet to adhere to the MS way of doing things.

You will hear for others that monopolies, such as this one, have not stymied advancements in technolgies.  Of course, if the only advances you care about are from MS, then great!  I cannot imagine being in better hands.

You will hear without MS forging the fortress of steel they have surrounded us with, everything would be in disarray.  Yes, we are talking about cats sleeping with dogs, fire, and brimstone kind of stuff.

MS saved us from ourselves.  By stomping on the would be advancements of others, and squashing innovation through buying it or dragging it through a courtroom, they have managed to take control of the marketplace and keep it under their thumbs.

So 73, the next time you want to go off on MS, you better give it some more thought.  Without them lauding baseball bats over the heads of innovators, just think of where we might be today.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2005, 04:18:48 PM »
huh?/

SP1 sp2?

service packs?

im using sp1..

i dont give a crap about this stuff..I want my computer to do what i want..when i want..pretty simple

Make my game play..thats all

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2005, 04:21:48 PM »
LOL and in comes the typical user!
:D

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
what's this mean?
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2005, 04:23:17 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy

Let me be clear on something, so there is no doubt.  I detest and am jealous of the monopoly they enjoy.  They took advantage of all the ignorant people they could (unfortunately, most of them are in a position of power in our government) and managed to create this wonderful monopoly.

??

They took advantage of a market. Ignorant people? Most are in a position of power??