Author Topic: what's this mean?  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
what's this mean?
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2005, 05:45:22 PM »
GTo, you have to go back before the PC existed to find where Apple was selling really well.  Even after the PC started shipping Apple was still doing well.
Apple made several key mistakes along the way which cost them marketshare.  The ill-fated 'Lisa' was pretty much the death blow to Apple's growth.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2005, 05:46:14 PM »
If you talking APPLE2 computers then sure, if your are talking Macs, then your wrong, as the Mac was taking off, PCs were around.

(there may have been a few months were the very first mac hit the market, I am not all that up on dates, but when both the basic PC and the MAC were around I bet the mac never came close in sales. )

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
what's this mean?
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2005, 05:47:42 PM »
GTO, the Apple Mac started shipping around the same time as the Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I (1979).  When I refer to PC's, I am talking about the era introduced when IBM shipped the first PC, which was several years later.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2005, 05:47:44 PM »
Skuz
 What was the liza?

I loved my apple 2C.

I wanted to get another apple tell I found out how few games the Mac had.

What was between the apple 2 series and the Mac? It was shortlived, can't recall the name.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2005, 05:50:07 PM »
The Mac is that old??

I though that was the apple 2 area?

I thought the first macintosh was like 84?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
what's this mean?
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2005, 05:51:06 PM »
The 'Lisa' was introduced by a major SuperBowl ad campaign in 1984.  The ad campaign was inspired by the book '1984' with some lunatic running down an aisle towards a huge talking head on a screen and smashing the screen with a hammer (Olympic type).

No one knows what the Lisa was supposed to be as the few that shipped went into terminal PMS mode.

EDIT:  Ok, I am using Mac as a generic term for all Apple computers.  Yes, the I, II, and IIC all predated the PC and the MacIntosh came in around the same time as the IBM PC (1983 I think).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 05:53:15 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2005, 05:54:08 PM »
I heard that reason PC's are so prevalent today is because IBM didn't patent ISA technology.

MS got in the door with their OS and here we are.

Imagine what the computer landscape would be like today if IBM has stayed proprietary like Apple.

Amiga was so advanced in sound and color, we might all still be typing on Commodores.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2005, 05:55:00 PM »
Are we confusing each other here?

Mac history

This site says the first MAC shipped in 84?

Was there no PC then?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
what's this mean?
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2005, 05:56:56 PM »
IBM not only did not patent ISA, they published the complete engineering specification.  When they did the MicroChannel architecture (damn nice bus design), they also publiched the engineering specs, but required licensing, which killed the bus and all hopes of IBM staying number one in the PC industry.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2005, 05:57:10 PM »
Ok then yeah the I II and 3 were the early ones, and sure ok they out sold the competitors, but by the time the REAL mac, PCs were around.

Now who sold better in 84 through 90?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
what's this mean?
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2005, 05:58:55 PM »
GTO, I will have to look when I get home, but I believe the IBM PC came out in 1983.  Hmmm,..I thought the original MacIntosh pre-dated the Lisa, which came out in 1984....maybe 85.

84-90 the PC, but in 84, Apple did, and maybe in 85 too, but again, there were a ton of educational give-aways to inflate those numbers from Apple.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2005, 06:02:00 PM »
hmm did apple blow it on pricing through the 80s and 90s?

I remeber wanted a mac, but my dad thought you got more for you money from a PC, macs were to pricey and not upgradable in any way.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2005, 06:03:26 PM »
"The Macintosh was officially introduced and went on sale on January 24th, 1984, for a price of $2,495.00."

WoW
 Look at that price, what was a PC going for??

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2005, 06:10:52 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
When they did the MicroChannel architecture (damn nice bus design), they also publiched the engineering specs, but required licensing, which killed the bus and all hopes of IBM staying number one in the PC industry.

Yeah, why buy the cow when you get the milk for free.

I remember working on a IBM PS2.  Fine hardware design but forget about replacing anything with cheap parts.  Absolutly everthing was proprietary.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
what's this mean?
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2005, 06:19:56 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
The Mac is that old??

I though that was the apple 2 area?

I thought the first macintosh was like 84?

The apple was around beofore 1979.