Author Topic: TOD predictions...  (Read 2268 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2005, 02:50:39 PM »
Originally posted by Westy
[B That's hogwash IMO.   In the MA if you're coming in at 400 and at 1.5K out the "easy target " pilot nails you then to be quite blunt... you must REAL sukk.  IMO it would be embarrassing to admit getting shot down by a buff in AH under just about any circumstance.  
[/B]

Nah, getting shot down is not embarashing.  Responding like you did is.  
I really don't undertand why you had to respond in this way :rolleyes: .  

I guess you never had a buff hit your oil?

Edit:  What is your in game id?  I'd like to know who I am talking to.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 02:52:52 PM by dedalos »
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2005, 02:59:22 PM »
"And if the buffs continue to have the ability to hit a target moving at 400mph from 1.5K out, these fights will last about 5 to 10 seconds. "

That's hogwash IMO.   In the MA if you're coming in at 400 and at 1.5K out the "easy target " pilot nails you then to be quite blunt... you must REALLY sukk.  IMO it would be embarrassing to admit getting shot down by a buff in AH under just about any circumstance.  

(*being vulched taking off or climbing up to a bombers "6" should earn the player an AH "Stupid Player"  award).

As for bombers and the TOD?  Even though I've not participated in an AH scenario in about 3 years I still follow the forums and read the AAR's posted by the participant.   And in each scenario when the bombers were detected and then intercepted they were decimated.   IMO the TOD bombers would need to be tougher to maintain player interest in using them over the long run.  

(HIYA GRIZZLY!  Nice to "see" you and hope all is well.)

As with all planes learning to really push the heavy bomber's defensive abilities takes time and effort. The "average" set of buffs is piloted by someone who can't do well in a fighter, and takes up bombers because they don't require skillful maneuvers in order to fight back. Attacking buffs piloted by someone like 999000 or rod007 is a different matter entierly, and requires precise angles of attack to minimize risk. Even then luck is still required to survive the encounter.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2005, 03:00:24 PM »
"I really don't undertand why you had to respond in this way."

Because you exagerated and invoked the "AH buff guns are uber BFG200 laser beams" whine.  

As for my game Id?  Other than a few sessions in the AH-II beta test I haven't logged onto the AH MA in almost two years.  Other than new graphics and some refinements not much has essentially changed. Especially the MA.  So if they were easy meat back then they're easy meat now..

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2005, 03:07:07 PM »
Originally posted by pellik
As with all planes learning to really push the heavy bomber's defensive abilities takes time and effort. The "average" set of buffs is piloted by someone who can't do well in a fighter, and takes up bombers because they don't require skillful maneuvers in order to fight back. Attacking buffs piloted by someone like 999000 or rod007 is a different matter entierly, and requires precise angles of attack to minimize risk. Even then luck is still required to survive the encounter.

:lol , attacking 999 or tater will make you atlist go get a new plane.  These guys will aim for the left or right wing tips depending on the type of aircraft you are in, and they will get it too.  So, even if you did manage to kill all three of the buffs, in TOD you would have to RTB cause your plane will be full of holes.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2005, 03:20:46 PM »
"I really don't undertand why you had to respond in this way."

Because you exagerated and invoked the "AH buff guns are uber BFG200 laser beams" whine.  

As for my game Id?  Other than a few sessions in the AH-II beta test I haven't logged onto the AH MA in almost two years.  Other than new graphics and some refinements not much has essentially changed. Especially the MA.  So if they were easy meat back then they're easy meat now..

:lol Dude, get a life.  Is this what you do?  Read BBS posts about a game you don't play and pretend to be an expert in it while you are rude and abnoxius to the people that do play the game?  It was not a whine you idiot.  These guys will hit you if not at 1.5K for sure at 1K.  In a game where staying alive is importand, you would have to RTP after your plane got damaged. :rolleyes:

What was your ID 2 years ago?  I'd like to see how easy buffs were for you back then.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2005, 03:25:35 PM »
Sorry can't say I've heard of these players.   Regardless of that, I've read this same kind of bragging from, or about the skillZ of others, since AH's beginning.

IMO very! few could come even close to backing it up.   CavemanJ was one player that does come to mind.

Anyways.   We'll see come TOD  :)  I look forward to buff interception very much. Hopefully it arrives before I have to suffer from wearing bifocals or cateracts set in.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2005, 03:33:14 PM »
Originally posted by Grizzly
In short, it will be more of a roll player game where players are assigned to missions and rated based upon their performance. The player character will be promoted or demoted based upon this performance. Missions will be designed by HTC or ranking players based upon a general strategic goal. Teams will be historic with accurate vehicles and plane types. Performance will have less emphasis on kills and more on mission success, so if you finish the mission as ordered, you will be rewarded. Dig around in this web site to see if you can find more information from HTC on Tour Of Duty, like press releases.

Grizzly,

I think there might be a lil more to it. If I'm not mistaken if you "die" while fighting you may be demoted and can be demoted all the way back to cadet :).

So:
you gain rank by your performance in doing whatever it was you set out to do.

You maintain whacha got by not achieving your target goals.

But die and demotion is what I read from the write ups.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
TOD predictions...
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2005, 04:06:12 PM »
ToD will bring me back to AH. It's what I've been waiting for.

MA gameplay became boring to the point I couldn't be bothered to load the game up anymore. Nothing wrong with the game, but I'd been there done that.

And I still sucked.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2005, 12:14:26 AM »
"Grizzly,

I think there might be a lil more to it. If I'm not mistaken if you "die" while fighting you may be demoted and can be demoted all the way back to cadet ."

Could be, I don't know. And HTC might not know all the details yet. We'll have to wait and see. But if someone gets demoted back to grunt if he gets killed, it will likely get a bit frustrating. I'm hoping for a more long term career setup.

Offline Koed

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.valkieser.com
TOD predictions...
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2005, 05:36:20 AM »
If it's ever released .. it'll be the thing that brings me back to AH.

But I've been waiting for over a year.. and I was rather dissapointed to see it's still not done.

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
TOD predictions...
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2005, 08:25:16 AM »
My opinion is that ToD will save AH and HTC. Dale and Doug know what they are doing here. AH2 has the framework to support up to 750 players in a single arena. While IL2 is fun and a good fight can be had with 64 players, they cannot do a MMOL with it, in fact they have shown no interest in even trying. All of their coding resources are aimed at BoB (the PF replacement). Besides, if they had 500 folks in one arena with IL2/AEP/FB/PF the framerates would plummet.

Even if it was just 32 or 64 it's still not MA farcical/fantasy gameplay and that is what is so appealing about it.  

I think it is the farcical gameyness of the MA (that has been degrading slowly for the last 18 months) that poses a greater threat to HTC, that is why they need ToD. There will always be those who want air-quake or couterstrike with planes, and I'll probably always jump into the MA for a quick fix, but the current state of gameplay in the MA is not going to attract long term customers (4+ years) anymore like it did back in the 1996-2001 days. Of the flood of new players that we've seen over the last two years I wonder how many of the are planning to keep their subscriptions indefinitely, compared to the players that started AH in 1999/2000.

A flood of new subscribers is undoubtedly good for business and we/they need to keep up the excellent work of attracting them. But it is long-term customers that will keep the lights on indefinitely.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2005, 08:42:50 AM »
Edbert, I know it doesn't happen that often, but for once I completely agree with you. ^

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
TOD predictions...
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2005, 08:52:57 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Edbert, I know it doesn't happen that often, but for once I completely agree with you. ^

hmmmmm....guess I'd better re-evaluate what I said eh?

JK  <>

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2005, 08:59:53 AM »
Edbert while I agree with you I would like to point at one thing you say.

You say that ToD will save HTCs business.

For any company it HAS TO evolve its product and constantly keep evolving them. Once the product one company has stops evolving the company is dead. Its not directly ToD that will increase the profitability of HTC, its constant evolution to their product, a online flight sim. ToD is just a piece of the puzzle.

Vets whine their hats of due to the increased eye candy. They can whine all they want to because the day HTC stops updating graphics, gameplay and everything else the product is dead and since HTC is a one product company it will die as well.

Part of evolving a product is that you dont know if it will be a success or a flop. Ofcourse no one wants a product to flop. Ofcouse HTC will do all in their powers to make it a success. But they dont know if it will be a success, neither do we.

Exact same thing with say a car manufacturer a new models with improved technology have to constantly be developed. Everyone always strives to make each and every new model a success but still no one knows if it will become one.

Hopefully there will be a HTC created flight sim in 2010. Most likely in that year the product wount be ToD as there will most likely be a new product out by then, even if ToD becomes a  success business and products have to evolve. Only thing that is for sure is that it WOUNT be what AH was 3 years ago.

Tex

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2005, 09:03:24 AM »
MA will be dweeb arena when TOD getts up and runnin...

In fact...make a furball map..a big fighter town map with 3 bases and let the rest of us fly TOD.
Whooo Hooo lets hope so!!!

I think TOD will be a big hit if it pits players against each other and the mission AI is good.

If TOD is anything like the snap shots etc, alot of flying around for a few seconds of fighting then things aren't going to change much.

I have to agree with Edbert
My opinion is that ToD will save AH and HTC. Dale and Doug know what they are doing here. AH2 has the framework to support up to 750 players in a single arena.

I think HTC are pretty keen about what it takes to make this game work.  All the trees and ground detail have been added for a reason and it isn't planes.  I will eagerly await TOD to see what they do with it and to finally get an MA where there are more people fighting each other than fighting hangers.   VH.