Author Topic: TOD predictions...  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2005, 12:12:00 AM »
The part I cant figure out is why its taken 15+ years? to get an online flight sim past the:

AW: A land vs B land vs C land
Warbirds: Reds vs Greens vs Purps vs Golds
AH: Rook vs Knights vs Bishs

I mean cripes, we have been playing the same thing now for over a decade. Its loooooooooooooooooooooong overdue to get something different, anything.

Im just waiting for a new online flight sim to come out and announce "it will be featuring 4 countries, Diamond, Hearts, Spades and Clubs, with the ability to capture bases! wohoo!

TOD yesterday already!
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2005, 12:34:46 AM »
Guys, evidently a lot of people like the A-vs-B-vs-C format, or it wouldn't still be around...  I do, for one, and I've been playing off-and-on since around 1990, when AW only supported Macs and Amigas.  

That being said, if the TOD venue appeals to additional players, then that's fine by me too.  If TOD brings in more $$, then the common 75% between MA and TOD can be further developed by HTC to benefit both styles of play, and make it more likely that AH will be still be around in 5 years.

Offline TheBeeg

• Zinc Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2005, 12:42:51 AM »
I totally agree though I have only a vague idea of what TOD will be other than historical in flavor.  That historical and realistic aspect will be sufficient to keep me interested.

One thing I've noticed in 6+ years of online flight simming is that it has an addictive component which keeps people in place and unwilling to take a look elsewhere for fear of losing their place or something like that.  You'll have to consult psychiatric textbooks to find the exact particulars.  However, we need to remember that while this is a game to us, it's business to HTC.  Nobody ('cept nitwits) makes a long term high cost investment without doing market research to see what kind of "additional" business they can bring in to re-coup their investment.  You don't invest money in real life to move people from the MA to TOD.  There must be a reason for their madness.  Here's a hint.

After having left AH for WarBirds and for the last two years WW2OL.  These two sims are substantially grounded on historical game play.  I'll tell you that WW2OL has at minimum hundreds if not thousands of people playing every day.  Since my experience there was as a member of the LW, I'll tell you that AH's flight models are 1000% better but the only drawback to someone who enjoys re-enactment vs. gaming is that there isn't any organization or command structure in AH as there supposedly is in WW2OL.  Unfortunately for those I left behind, the command structure is a big sham which some compare to a good 'ol boys club.  

I suspect that TOD will be structured along the same principle as a real life military.  At least I hope so and more than anything I hope that HTC looks upon those who command somewhat as employees giving them strict guidelines to adhere to and perhaps some payment for their services in the form of free subs etc..  My feeling is that squads at least as we know them in the MA shouldn't even be permitted in a TOD arena.  Hate to say this but my experience during the last two years tells me that too many Napoleons by night who during the day are at the lowest rung in their chosen profession screw things up royal as they all vie to be the latest Alexander.  Any military simulation (that's us) without structure is unrealistic and doomed to failure.  As I said and can't stress enough, I'm hopeful that HTC would strongly control who the leaders are or create a system which would award rank without bias only to those who earned it through proven combat.  Whatever fair method is used, we need people with true leadership credentials to be in charge and the rest should take orders and execute.  ***** and moan amongst yourselves but click your heels and do the job when told to.  

And before anyone pipes in with "I'm here to have fun", "It's only a game etc. etc. etc."  I suggest you go find a game that doesn't kill people.  May I suggest Disney's Toontown?

ElCondor

Originally posted by Westy
Some of you just can't see the world outside of your small goldfish bowl!   ;)

Even with what little has been told to us about TOD by HTC I'm still perplexed as to why some still put this into the context that this being aimed at the MA player type or that it will be like the CT where hardly anyone is to be found.

I'll be the first to say that HTC has has fallen WAY behind on keeping people informed as to what TOD is.  That's evident from the wild bellybutton guesses and assumptions that always sprout in these topics about TOD over the past TWO years.

Still...  Enough has been said about it for people to have a firm idea of what it is and who it would appeal to.

Curious as to see how many people this TOD would appeal to? Go to hyperlobby and check out the numbers playing IL2.
 There are more playing that game than AH on it's best night. Look at how many love the Dynamix ACES series, EAW, Janes WWII Fighters etc.  Add in those who pay to play WWIIO for it's "historical" flavour and you may begin to see that the audience for TOD is much larger than that for the  MA by far.

Offline TheBeeg

• Zinc Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2005, 01:11:26 AM »
FYI, WW2OL has an Axis vs. Allies scenario with a 1/2 scale European map.  I strongly suspect that our ingrained inability to learn anything about geography beyond our borders might be perpetuating the ABC's  Imagine having to remember which way to turn to get to Eindhoven or Breda (both in Holland) after taking off from Antwerp in Belgium :D

ElCondor

Originally posted by Squire
The part I cant figure out is why its taken 15+ years? to get an online flight sim past the:

AW: A land vs B land vs C land
Warbirds: Reds vs Greens vs Purps vs Golds
AH: Rook vs Knights vs Bishs

I mean cripes, we have been playing the same thing now for over a decade. Its loooooooooooooooooooooong overdue to get something different, anything.

Im just waiting for a new online flight sim to come out and announce "it will be featuring 4 countries, Diamond, Hearts, Spades and Clubs, with the ability to capture bases! wohoo!

TOD yesterday already!

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2005, 01:31:52 AM »
Yes WW2OL is the only one I can think of that is really different, unfortunately, you can only fight in France 1940 for so long before it gets tedious. I do salute them for trying though, I think it is an important transitionary sim.

...the other aspect of the A-B-C land type sims is the "go through 100 a/c an hour who cares if you make it back it doesnt matter" aspect to it that renders much of the gameplay as no better than an arcade game (just watch the legions of robo-fighters on suicide jabo runs for a base capture). That too, is getting kinda stale.

Im not trying to slam anybodys game...its just I for one am in the mood for something more substantive after playing a lot of these sims. I wish the "MA" all the best, but an alternative is overdue for the rest of us.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2005, 02:20:35 AM »
Make it $2/hr again. Funked was right - that kept all the tardz out.