Author Topic: Russian classrooms reverting to soviet version of history  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Russian classrooms reverting to soviet version of history
« on: May 30, 2005, 07:42:26 AM »
In the year 2005.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/chitribts/20050529/ts_chicagotrib/omittingthepastsdarkerchapters

"They said my book was `blackening' Russian history," Dolutsky said during a recent interview. "It was the first prohibition of a textbook in schools in 25 years."

The offending portions

Later, Dolutsky's publisher told him which historical references in the book irked authorities: Stalin's non-aggression pact with Hitler in 1939; Soviet occupation of the Baltic states; the execution of thousands of Polish officers by Russian intelligence agents at Katyn in 1940; Stalin's deportation of legions of Chechens to Kazakhstan in 1944.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 07:44:58 AM by Suave »

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 08:18:27 AM »
Anybody that believes in the myth that the 'winners' write the history books should stop by a Japanese classroom.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 11:08:42 AM »
The country is slowly but surely falling back to the dark ages. Not that it got far in the first place.

If you look at the dictionary you'll find that FUBAR is explained with 'refer page 42,  Soviet Russia'

Offline Estel

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 11:29:30 AM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
The country is slowly but surely falling back to the dark ages. Not that it got far in the first place.

If you look at the dictionary you'll find that FUBAR is explained with 'refer page 42,  Soviet Russia'

I would like to see your classroom history books. Looks like I'll find there a lot of interesting things, wich have no attitude to reality.

Offline spitfiremkv

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 11:37:08 AM »
the 90s were a nice decade. now it seems the whole world is going down the pooper.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 12:15:42 PM »
So they finally try to get rid of "Russia - the Mother of all Evil" attitude.

It's definetly better then to have a modern history book that has 10 pages about WWII, 8 of them about lame "allied" fighting at North Africa and on some god-forgotten islands in the Pacific, with only 5 lines about Stalingrad.

Later, Dolutsky's publisher told him which historical references in the book irked authorities:

Yeah! Irked authorities! We have another "fighter with evil totalitarian regime"! Freedom to parrots!

Stalin's non-aggression pact with Hitler in 1939;

Yes, another modern pop-history stunninghunk who says that USSR had to get into war in 1939 to die for "allied" interests.

Soviet occupation of the Baltic states;

What occupation? Did I miss something? They were allowed to join USSR after a legitimate democratic procedure. Or was it better to leave the brave sprat-killers to Hitler?

the execution of thousands of Polish officers by Russian intelligence agents at Katyn in 1940;

A new, refreshing view on Katyn tragedy: now it was Russian intelligence!

Especially after Russian General Prosecutor's office supplied documents about Polish prisoners that definelty prove that there were no mass executions.

Stalin's deportation of legions of Chechens to Kazakhstan in 1944.

A smart decision, he'd better send the bloody murderers to the sunny shores of Taimyr.

My verdict: silly rant of a discredited "propaganda warfare" mercenary.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 12:47:35 PM »
Boroda about those glasses youre wearing..

It's not red as roses, it's blood.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 12:51:30 PM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
Boroda about those glasses youre wearing..

It's not red as roses, it's blood.

then I wonder how you still see anything through your black ones, coloured by the same substance. Oh, sorry, your vision is already impaired to blindness... Mixing up rose with blood-red is a good example, for you it's the same colour.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 01:07:46 PM »
Hardly rewriting history, and given Russias victory and cost to defesting Germany pretty much entitiles them to wetie what they like in their history books. Every country is biased when it comes to own history.

Most kids these days don't even get a word of WW2 in history so four words on one siege is better then nothing.

...-Gixer

Offline parker00

• Copper Member
      • http://www.68thlightninglancers.com/joomla/index.php
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 01:20:54 PM »
Boroda has your country ever done anything wrong? You always seem to have a reason (excuse) why something happened or just flat out reject that fact that it did. Remind us again how long you have had free press in Russia

Offline parker00

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 01:22:58 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Hardly rewriting history, and given Russias victory and cost to defesting Germany pretty much entitiles them to wetie what they like in their history books. Every country is biased when it comes to own history.

Most kids these days don't even get a word of WW2 in history so four words on one siege is better then nothing.

...-Gixer

Great logic!!! :rolleyes:

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 01:27:37 PM »

...-Gixer

how do you know?

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 01:37:13 PM »
Originally posted by parker00
Boroda has your country ever done anything wrong? You always seem to have a reason (excuse) why something happened or just flat out reject that fact that it did. Remind us again how long you have had free press in Russia

Free press is an oxymoron.

We have done many things wrong. Sometimes I think that the reason for it was too much humanism.

Russian Empire waged a Caucasian War for 60 years, since early XIX century. At the same time US was fighting Indians. Look now - where are Indians, and where are Chechens and other nationalities from Caucasus?... I am proud that my country never practiced or planned genocide.

Offline parker00

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 01:42:40 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
Free press is an oxymoron.

We have done many things wrong. Sometimes I think that the reason for it was too much humanism.

Russian Empire waged a Caucasian War for 60 years, since early XIX century. At the same time US was fighting Indians. Look now - where are Indians, and where are Chechens and other nationalities from Caucasus?... I am proud that my country never practiced or planned genocide.

How do you know about the Indians, oh yeah because we allow everyone to see and talk about our mistakes so we learn from them. It wasn't a high or proud point of American history but we don't deny it either.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 01:48:51 PM »

I am almost sure that "4 words" were in a book by that "fighter with tyrrany" sorry forgot his name.

Barely mentioning GULAG - well, there were less prisoners in GULAG in worst "Stalin's repressions" years then in 1999 Russian Federation, under "super-democratic" Yeltsin.

I was born in Leningrad, and I can assure you - the Siege will never be forgotten at least by 4 millions of people who live in SPb now.

Historical "education" in last 15 years led to appearence of young people who dare to say that "we should better lose a war to Hitler, so we could ride Mercedeses now". All I can tell them is "yeah, as leather on the seats".

I am tired of lies that make every Russian feel like his nation only comitted crimes and isn't capable of doing anything other then murders for all it's history.

I repeat - lies, like "Soviet POWs were starved by nazis, unlike Brits and Americans, because Stalin didn't sign a Geneva convention".

1) Any country that signed a Geneva convention has to treat all POWs regardless to the country of origin equally.

2) USSR signed Geneva convention in the 30s.

Good example, isn't it? I wonder if it's mentioned in history schoolbooks, I'll not be surprised if it was.