Author Topic: Why my motorcycle has a windshield  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Why my motorcycle has a windshield
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2005, 12:45:40 PM »
Laz, awsome!!

We had an Austin 3000 with an aluminium tempest v-6 in it.. incredible! Never went that fast, that low, before or since!

Nice car!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2005, 01:33:39 PM »
if you own a brit car, why the scottish git look?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2005, 02:26:03 PM »
skyprancer... quit yer cryin..  You tell us that "real bikers" are whatever it is you like and then you tell us cars are "cages"  that are to be endured and that all the guys in Rover's are envious of you when they drive by and then....

you tell me to be more open minded and less prejudiced.

All cars are not skodas.   I get more wind in the face in the car you see in those pictures than you get in your plastic warrior all dressed up in your motorcycle costume.

I would also say that if you were a little more open minded you would realize that driving a big block el camino is pretty darn fun.

and torque?  I have no idea what you are talking about but if is that I look Scottish...  My grandfather imigrated here from Scotland.

staga... if I had to be in the snow... I would take any one of those bikes for a spin.   I have no idea how I would do but I allways like to do new things.   I hate the cold and snow tho so I would probly not invest in a bike for the snow or (god forbid) move anywhere close tot the white crap.

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2005, 02:29:46 PM »
hang... the 331 in my car makes a tiny bit more hP than the V6 I would think.  You would enjoy the ride.   For us old guys...

It's an "E" ticket ride.

lazs

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2005, 02:52:32 PM »
I clearly remember being able to drop my arm over the door and pick up a pack of smokes lying on the ground..without leaning.

Yup.. an 'E' ticket ride. At a 120 yah felt like you were closing on the sound barrier. If yah opened your mouth, yer lips could flog yah to death. Gawdamned thing rode like buckboard.. hittin a pencil at that speed felt like it could launch it airborne. Damn, it was fun!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2005, 03:01:35 PM »
Hangtime, Lazs was kind enough to start it for me when me and the Missus dropped in on him- he apologized beforehand cause he hqdn't started it in weeks, reached in, turned the key and the thing fired up by the second tooth it touched on the flywheel.

He reved it a few times, we left and that night my wife and I had great sex- the only time it's been better is after we went shooting one time. Since then I've poked holes in the muffler on my Taurus, but it's just not the same.

:confused:

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2005, 03:14:25 PM »
yep... to get in I haveta stand on the seat and slide in.  I can reach over and pick things up off the ground.. Monday, I blipped the throttle on up to a hunert or so and my girlfriend said she wasn't riding in the car again till she got goggles.

I am just ribbing these 'real bikers"... I used to be just as narrow minded and full of myself when I lived on the old Harley.   Everyone rode injured and if you didn't ride with plaster you weren't a "real biker"

These days.... I like to enjoy myself.   I would ride those snow bikes in snow bear country around that little track till I got cold and then go find a fire or something.... the days of showing everone what a tough guy I am by riding in adverse weather are long gone.... I suppose that I could still do it but.... why?

gixer claims that some of the best times he had on his bike were in bad weather.... no doubt... he (and skyprancer live with bad weather)  but.... I say that those times would have been even better with perfect weather.

lazs

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2005, 04:45:05 PM »
For some reasons nice things that happen when you're wet, cold and freezed stays better in my memory than things when all was okay... and it's those little things that matter.
Like riding in a rain hundred or two kilometers and seeing how sun becomes to shine, warms the weather and beguns to warm yourself at the same.
Or driving at the night with a bike with crappy lights and seeing how morning sun beguns to shine.
Or just getting back home from a little trip with wet clothes, hungry and tired and getting a glass of good Scotch and a cigar.
It's all in little details :)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2005, 05:00:07 PM »
Originally posted by Airhead
Hangtime, Lazs was kind enough to start it for me when me and the Missus dropped in on him- he apologized beforehand cause he hqdn't started it in weeks, reached in, turned the key and the thing fired up by the second tooth it touched on the flywheel.

He reved it a few times, we left and that night my wife and I had great sex- the only time it's been better is after we went shooting one time. Since then I've poked holes in the muffler on my Taurus, but it's just not the same.

:confused:

ROFL....

gawd, that's priceless. I'd be over ta Laz's rentin' that english lizard once a week if I wuz you. ;)

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2005, 05:04:36 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
yep... to get in I haveta stand on the seat and slide in.  I can reach over and pick things up off the ground.. Monday, I blipped the throttle on up to a hunert or so and my girlfriend said she wasn't riding in the car again till she got goggles.

I am just ribbing these 'real bikers"... I used to be just as narrow minded and full of myself when I lived on the old Harley.   Everyone rode injured and if you didn't ride with plaster you weren't a "real biker"

These days.... I like to enjoy myself.   I would ride those snow bikes in snow bear country around that little track till I got cold and then go find a fire or something.... the days of showing everone what a tough guy I am by riding in adverse weather are long gone.... I suppose that I could still do it but.... why?

gixer claims that some of the best times he had on his bike were in bad weather.... no doubt... he (and skyprancer live with bad weather)  but.... I say that those times would have been even better with perfect weather.

lazs

Yup.. have made it to the point where 'been there, done that' is better than doin' it all over again. Knowin what yah can do and NOT doing it wisdom.. and that's good enuff for my old bones.

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2005, 10:42:51 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2

lazs

Actually no, it was the weather and road conditions at the time that made those rides more interesting and memoraiable for one reason or the other then normal.

When it came ot racing I always enjoyed wet tracks as I always felt very confident in the wet compared to other riders.

...-Gixer

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2005, 11:44:14 PM »
well... maybe but I doubt it..  unless by "memerable" you simply mean... stay in your mind.

I will agree with you.   the time I almost got frostbite in jan. riding 130 miles at 2 in the am and when I pulled my gloves off and put my hands in cold water they burned for 20 miuntes... that was "memerable"  sleeping under the bike and trying to decide if it is better to use your leather jacket for a half shelter across the bike or to wear it for protection from a night of freezing rain... that is "memerable".

racing a sunbeam tiger in the freezing fog and damn near losing it on every corner... that is "memerable"

I still drive old stuff that may break down (hey... I built it) but... I have a cell phone and tripple a card these days not a bit like the old days with 5 bucks in your pocket and the motor making a deep ugly metalic noise a couple hundred miles from home with no dash lights.

nope... it's all degree guys... I bet you never rode with a cast up to your hip... that don't mean that every person in plaster was "envious" of me because they were only "fair health" riders.

If you really were into it then you wouldn't have fairings and full motorcycle costumes... you would do it all in levis and a tee shirt or maybe jacket and sunglasses.  I drive cars in the rain with less protection to em than what you guys are doing on your bikes.  You are in a cocoon.... isolated from the whole motorcycle experiance in my opinion... or, at least, to a great degree... certainly more than I ever was.

lazs

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2005, 02:52:21 AM »
Guess I'm pervert or something but some of my fodliest memories are from trips made in rain or after rain. For example I was riding back from summerhome with a GSX750 (Plastic; Hell Yeah!) at the fall and almost flipped in a turn; a maple had dropped its leaves on road and I had a "situation" on.
Oh well; now when I think about it I also remember how frigging beautiful that road was with all the colours of the fall, all those nice different turns and hills, driving  thru the country side.
It's all in little details :)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2005, 06:31:31 AM »
Lazs,

I think your completely missing my point. For me memoriable is many reasons not just because of uncomfort due to the conditions. I enjoy riding on wet roads and conditions just as much as dry.

...-Gixer

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2005, 08:41:17 AM »
no.... I think you guys are missing the point.   I allready been there and know what I am "missing"

Did you even look at that car?  the windshield folds flat.  I can see and smell and have the wind in my face.   It makes a really neat noise too.  I doubt that either of you guys could drive it very well but that is not important... you would have fun.   when the streets are wet or it is freezing out... that car is a lot more fun than some plastic warrior and being all suited up in a motorcycle costume.... numbed from the world... killing everything that is the bike experiance except for the speed and being on the edge part..  In that car I can dress the same as I would to walk to the store.

Last night it was 80 degrees out and calm with no humidity.  I fired up the BMW and put on the silly novelty cap/helmet and went for about a 40 minute ride around town and in the country in a tee shirt.  smell stuff in bloom... smell the different resteraunts and lookat the people walking around..  I didn't have to be reving 12-16 grand to be enjoying myself.

You guys are no different than I was... you just haven't done it long enough to get bored with it.  or even see what you are doing.

gixer is a little different... he isn't riding... he is practicing in the wet so that he can race.   Not much point in that for most of us so he really doesn't have a point.

Staga lives in snow bear country where he either rides with the snow bears or not much at all..  

skyprancer lives in mold country where if you don't ride in the rain you don't ride at all and... the government does everything in its power to kill any fun you might have in a car unless you are knioghted or very rich.   soon they will be regulating (even more) his motorcycle but he blissfully is unaware.

lazs