Author Topic: OK I got IL2!  (Read 4737 times)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2001, 02:22:00 PM »
I've just been using the default Drex.

Has anyone else noticed that in the German campaign you really don't encounter a lot of Russian aircraft in any of the single missions?

I mean, if the Russians lost so many aircraft... where the hell did they lose them? In the mud? Certainly not in the air, atleast where the campaign takes place.

I think the dynamic battlefield is really cool, well atleast active battlefield. I flew patrol over one area and shot down a few attack aircraft, then noticed things exploding below me. I flew by to inspect and saw mortars (didn't see the mortars, just the artillery pieces firing and the mortars hitting) hitting around the city with buildings already destroyed.

And this is _THE_ most complete boxed sim this complex that has come out period. It isn't a candy coated turd either, the eye candy, flight model, damage model and ballistics model all go hand in hand to make this a well polished all around great air combat sim.
-SW

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2001, 10:14:00 PM »
If your referring to stick wobbling try turning filtering in the HOTAS section all the way up for each axis.

turns _______/\_______/\_________
into  ___________________________

for joystick spikes.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2001, 10:18:00 PM »
the sun effect is jaw dropping. first time i have seen the sun done 100% right in a sim.

there are of course some niggles..

i miss being able to move my head like in aces high

well thats my only real niggle  :) the cockpit bars take up a big area and without being able to move your head a la AH its hard to see stuff.

really, it is definitely the most amazing sim i have ever seen. there are so many little details that just arent in aces high.. you can tell which type of round you just hit with in a multi type belt just by the hit sprite.. the forests are awesome and the effect really is good RIGHT down to treetop level... much better "ground clutter" tan just the random noise type stuff.

the fm might not hit the numbers i havent really tested it yet, but the feel is good. the yaw is a little squirrely tho, seems like rudders are much less effective than ah? im not sure if thats correct..

i havent had a single CTD yet tho. its stable and from what i have seen relatively bug free. definitely the best sim i have ever purchased.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2001, 10:20:00 PM »
OMG This has to be good even my good ol bud SW loves it..... Is that possible? am I dreaming?

Alas I wont be able to get a copy until sometime next week and then wont have much time to fly it anyway.  :(

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2001, 10:34:00 PM »
Zigrat I have had a few lockups but I finally traced them to the Ubi.com server software and have quit using that for multiplayer games.

Other than getting locked up on those I have only had one issue and that was right after installing and before I had rebooted. I was so excited that I loaded it up and played without rebooting....big no no for me.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2001, 11:27:00 PM »
i've been playing this thing vertually non-stop since friday morning.  it's so good it was actually worth the trip to the mall on the day after thanksgiving to get it.
the sky is amazing, lightning is way cool, and you can actually see through the water

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2001, 11:38:00 PM »
i got my copy for $5 - traded in a load of games at electronics boutique  :)

compared to the beta it's 10x better  :) I wish there was more to the campaign tho
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2001, 12:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Drex:
Im having problems with the stick scaling.  What have you all been using?

Drex

Drex, I don't have the retail version yet, but in beta the stick was sensitive.  I have a SW PrePro which is particularly twitchy as a j-stick anyway, so it took a bit of testing to get it to a satisfactory point.  Basically all I've done is make my curve extremely gradual until about 70% stick deflection, then peak it at 100%.  And I mean gradual, like 0% moveable surface movement at both 10 and 20% stick deflection, and rising quite gradually until about 60%.  If you want, I can send you my numbers.

With my present scaling I can take-off a P-39 down the runway w/o any steering problems.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: leonid ]
ingame: Raz

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2001, 12:44:00 AM »
I set my stick scaling to:

1 2 4 7 12 20 33 50 75 100

That helped a lot. I don't know if those are my final settings, but it is much better than it was.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2001, 12:45:00 AM »
It is truely a benchmark in graphics for sure.

I only have a few hours in it, but damn.

I was pissed I had to pour in the rounds to get a kill, and I still don't understand why the 109 sight is not visable, but it quite a accomplishment.

Granted I sold the farm for a 7400 winbench system that I enjoy it on, but still.

Pretty incredible as far as I can see. Time in type will tell FM and gameplay.

GeForce3 users, buy it and go hoopty outside views. Its worth the admission right there.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2001, 12:57:00 AM »
Creamo,

Press Shift+F1 to get the gunsight view.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2001, 01:27:00 AM »
Ok.

But why is the normal view sight "offset" almost out of view as best I can describe it? The other planes have the optics centered.

I'll have to get in a fly it a bit I guess.

Still, once again, wow. Good sim, fantastic graphics. Smooth as silk 1280 32 bit.

You know the key for FPS?

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2001, 04:50:00 AM »
The 109 really had it's sight offset to the right. I don't know why.

The shift+F1 can be used in all planes, tho it is only in the 109 that it is really needed. In the rest I use it to look around the cockpit bars, since the view gets moved forward. I would have preferred adjustable views ala AH, but this is workable.

------------------
Ltn. Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34
My AH homepage

Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »
I can't get the damn music outta my head.  :D

What an awesome game.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2001, 09:17:00 PM »
Snefens,

The sight offset is a control selection.  Look in your manual.  I believe it is called gunsight view!

Swag
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.