Author Topic: OK I got IL2!  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2001, 12:02:00 AM »
looks like the lw whines will always exist, no matter what game  :)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2001, 12:33:00 AM »
I havent played the Demo but what kinda system requirements does the game have?  Would it run well on a P3 550 running Win2k, 384mb ram, Voodoo 5500, etc?

Might be time to scrape up all the N64 cartridges and bring em to EB....used to work there so I know the trade-in game thing well!

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2001, 01:11:00 AM »
Got my copy this morning  :)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2001, 07:25:00 AM »
Damn peer pressure!  Getting a copy this week-end, hope I can run 1024 res on a PIII-800EB with 256k ram and Geforce 2 32 meg card.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »
Im running it full everything in 1024x768x32 with great rates in most situations on a Durion 700.

Best of all, you can turn the icons off and it is not a problem.  Can't wait to try it coop.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2001, 09:26:00 AM »
Quote from AGW:

OK, I got it today, it installed EZ, runs fine, BUT!
The inital load time sucks, it makes WWIIOL look fast. FPS dies to below 1.0 in ground attack. Icons suck, so I turned them off. The EZ mode features that are available make any offline claims a moot point. The description of your targets in the briefing is somewhat diffuse, to put it mildly. The full mission editor looks powerful, but also very complicated. The planes look good, but are still too shiny and cartooney. The FM seems EZ as pie to fly, even with all the realisim things indicated. Ubi-soft sucks.

Those are the major bad things, but there are good ones too. It is a pretty game, the terrain is rendered very well, and it appears that once the editor is figured out, nice missions will prevail.

Questions that remain entail online play, anyone up?

Just something I picked up from AGW  :D

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2001, 12:39:00 PM »
Well, if @home dies off tomorrow, I'll be picking up IL-2 earlier than I planned just to have something to shoot down.  Either that or I'll be flying Wing Commander games again.   ;)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2001, 02:18:00 PM »
Staga, post the link to the thread.  If you read it, you can see that I am tweaking Stiggies nose(but it is all true, anyway)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2001, 02:50:00 PM »
Fishu, in the German campaign I am 12 missions in with 16 kills. I would have more, except for some strange reason there are less Russians in each mission in the German campaign than there are in the Russian campaign.

Which led me to comment in either this thread or another one about how little Russians there are, and how did they lose so many aircraft during WWII? Certainly not to the Germans the way the campaign is depicted.

I find that I need far less time on target with the German planes than the Russian ones, because if you get in close you only need 6 or 7 Mausers to impact the tail of any Russian plane before it falls off or the plane blows up. Occasionally you'll get the lucky pilot kill with the 7.92mm MGs (which are what on the F2, G2 and A4- correct?)

I just think that the German campaign is not representative of the Western front, atleast from reading Helmut Lipfert's book. There are lots of entries about hoards of Il-2s, I16s, MiGs, Laggs and Yaks flying in the skies, however, in the campaign they are few and far between.
-SW

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2001, 02:53:00 PM »
Gadfly, it takes me roughly 10 seconds to load the game interface and another 30 seconds to load a mission with a LOT of objects- ground, air and sea.

I don't see where these "long load times" are coming from, then again I have a moderatly fast PC with a 7200RPM HDD on an ATA100 UDMA IDE chain (only device on this chain).
-SW

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2001, 03:15:00 PM »
It takes about 2 min to load inital and about 45 secs to begin the setup, about the same as wwIIol.  Neither wait bothers me; as I said above, I was just messing with Stig.

I HAVE had more lockups with Il2 than I have with wwIIol though.  I tracked my FPS down to the sounds, with some tweaking, I got it fixed.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2001, 03:35:00 PM »
Yes, I will say that there are quite a few things that must be done to get the game to run as it should.

I have an SB Live!, took a lot of messing around with that to get it to work without causing substantial slow downs.

I have a V5 5500, that too took a lot of tweaking to get it to display Il-2 properly and to get it to run without stutters. I still get some strange slow downs over those large areas of vegetation(know what I'm talking about? Those forrested areas made up by multiple layers of roudn textures and shadows)...

There's a few other problems with it that I can't get fixed (comms causing stutters and planes crashing/colliding causing occasional stutters) and a few other things.

I have to say though, I haven't had any lock ups or CTDs. Overall it's a fine stable product (for me)- and for the most part for everyone else. It's definitely not WW2Ol (clusterdiddly when released- I don't know how it is now), but then again I don't think anything can claim the fame of crap that WW2Ol earned itself in it's initial stages.

I know, it works for you. Save me from that. ;-)

I know you were ribbing Stig, hell I would like to as well but I'm sure I would get run off AGW since I haven't played WB in 3 years. ;-)
-SW

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2001, 08:47:00 PM »
i noticed something odd in the single-player mode, and wondered if anybody else noticed it too.
 i've got a russian and a german fighter campaign going, and it seems to me that they have 'dumbed down' the german ai.
in MP the 109 easily kills lagg's. and in the russian plane you you have very little time when you get behind a 109 before he just walks away, out of gunrange.
in the single player you have to work for the kills in the german plane. but when you fly russian the cons are always making bone head moves, almost as if they are trying to get into your sights.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »
Swulfe, I never played it myself, but Sierra's Front Page Sports Football Pro 99 was so bad that they recalled it from the shelves.  Tho I don't think any MMORPG shipped as bug ridden as WWIIOL did.

Ultima IX was a buggy piece of crap when it came out.  They sent new CDs to everyone that registered the game a few months after it released.  Daggerfall needed several patches before it became playable for any length of time.  I don't think either were as horrid as WWIIOL was on release though.  Shame too, I really think they had/have good ideas for the genre.

Back on topic though, I have a SB Live! platinum (the original one before the 5.1 version came out).  What did you have to do to get IL-2 to work better, in case I pick the game up.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
OK I got IL2!
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
Reduced the hardware acceleration to one notch from the left, used a custom setup in the IL2setup... I don't remember the exact settings I used but can post them here when I get home (Monday). I also disabled the Live!Ware because that would cause slow downs, but I'm still using the old EAX demo not the full version one. I don't know if the full one is working properly or not but I don't have near as many problems or "stutters" as some people are reporting.
-SW