Author Topic: P47N Perk Debate  (Read 5652 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2005, 01:18:02 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Stop watch: 30.07
TimeChecker: 30.01

Close enough for government work.  ;)

My regards,

Widewing

normal timer: 30secs
hi-pref timer: 30.0000027936476

close enough for rocket science?

:p
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2005, 01:21:32 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
1) Takeoff using WEP to burn down more fuel weight.
2) Shoot out all unneccesary ammo to reduce weight and/or take the smaller load-out if available.
3) Take the least amount of guns possible.

hehe I can honestly say that I've never done any of that.  Just seems like such a waste of time when I could go grab another beer instead.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2005, 03:18:16 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
normal timer: 30secs
hi-pref timer: 30.0000027936476

close enough for rocket science?

:p

The times you are talking about have nothing to do with the time of or variability in the 3-revolutions test.  That was just a program to check the system time (through two different Windows API timers) on Widewing's computer because he was saying he was able to do the 3 rev test in the 50-60 second range.  The variability in your time to press a button when a dialog box comes up on a computer screen is going to be 0.5 seconds or less.  The variability in your 3-rev time will be a second or two -- lower if you are very consistent in your flying, higher if you are less so.

Since that time, now that we are all doing the test as stated, our results all agree to within the accuracy of the test.  Having results agree to within the accuracy of a test is close enough for any science, rocket or otherwise.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2005, 10:06:31 PM »
this is only my opinion from experiences in the D40 which I probably have more sorties in then any craft in the AH Stable.

All are in Combat.  In the last two days have out turned a G6 and
G2 in a 250mph to 300 mph fight.  both 109s I easily grabbed their 6 with initial speed, dropped flaps and as speed decreased I could easily turn inside and got two lead deflection shots which put them down.  I have also in the past in a very slow stall fight on the deck gotten 3 ftrs including 1 N1K to auger.  I did this in a D40.

My thoughts on the N Model.  Hasn't the handling ability of the other D models low.  Has a greater Zoom capability but seems to drop E faster then the other D Models.  At 25K or thereabouts the D Models seem to perform better except for roll rates.  Also turning radius of the D Models seems to be tighter.  Only differnce I can ascertain at this point is that it does well high.  IMHO we have another TA 152 in the stable with the N Model.

Again....just my conclusion.

(warning:  these thoughts don't necessarily agree with our sponsors)
- The Flying Circus -

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2005, 10:31:52 PM »
I can't see the N being a problem in the MA the way the game is played. If the major focus of the game changes to over to long-distance strike sorties (about as likely as pigs flying IMO) then maybe. It's fairly fast (once you get it suborbital), carries a heavy load a long way and has a good gun package, and it doesn't have a radiator for someone to put a hole in. As a low alt furballer it's a, well it's a jug. On the whole, I'd rather be in a D25 or D40.
Once the shiney wears off I don't see it monopolizing the game in any way.

Just my $0.02

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2005, 10:34:23 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
hehe I can honestly say that I've never done any of that.  Just seems like such a waste of time when I could go grab another beer instead.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Neither have I.  Never felt the need to do so *shrug*

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2005, 12:25:25 AM »
Originally posted by Hajo

My thoughts on the N Model.  Hasn't the handling ability of the other D models low.  Has a greater Zoom capability but seems to drop E faster then the other D Models.  At 25K or thereabouts the D Models seem to perform better except for roll rates.  Also turning radius of the D Models seems to be tighter.  Only differnce I can ascertain at this point is that it does well high.  IMHO we have another TA 152 in the stable with the N Model.

Again....just my conclusion.

Well, I spent 14 hours in the TA since the new patch. I spent 90% of that time flying and testing the P-47N. During that period, I flew at least two dozen duels against MA regulars flying everything from Spits to La-7s, to Mustangs and against all the Jugs. Then I went to the MA for the first time since the patch to see how the P-47N did in there.

Speed: The N is faster at all altitudes than the other P-47s (I can certify via film 476 mph at 30k, with 25% fuel and the 6 gun load-out).

Acceleration: The N accelerates faster than the other P-47s (a lot faster). Typically, on the deck, the P-47N will accelerate faster than the Yak-9U, P-51D, Ki-84, 109G-2, Typhoon and all the P-38s.

Climb: With WEP, climb is on par with the D-11 and slightly inferior to the D-25 (based upon weight of fuel for equal range). The D-40 climbs markedly better below 20k. At 30k, few if any fighters can climb with the N.

Roll: I finally tested roll rates and the N rolls about 12 degree/second faster than the other Jugs (at 300 mph).

Maneuverability: The N is more stable at the limit than the other P-47s, largely due (I suspect) to the increased span and wing area. This allows you to push it a bit harder than the others. But, in general terms, turn radius and rate are almost identical the D-25.

You must remember that unlike the other P-47s, you NEVER need more than 50% internal fuel for a typical MA sortie. For more range simply load a belly tank. For base defense, 25% is plenty. I also recommend the 267 round load-out instead of the 425 round load. Why? Because 2,136 rounds is more than enough.

Ok, in the MA tonight I took the N, with two 1k bombs to defend against Bish GVs and fighters. Killed a Panzer and then defended against air attack. In the course of this fight, I chased down and killed two P-51Ds and then forced a fleeing Typhoon to fight. He lasted all of 5 seconds...

My impressions remain unchanged. The P-47N is fast enough to change the entire dynamic. On the deck, only two or three fighters can escape from it by running. From 10k on up, nothing can escape, save the 262.

My conclusion is that the P-47N is easily the best P-47 of the bunch. I believe it is a better fighter than the P-51D. Be smart about how you load it and it's one of the best fighters in the plane set.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2005, 09:20:52 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying

-- Todd/Leviathn

I have... if I take a Spit 5 with 4 20mm rounds left, 25% gas on take-off, and burn off all the MGs I can almost hang with Levi in a duel to.  

It really works!

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2005, 11:15:44 AM »
Widewing

Took the N up this morning again.  then took the D40 up to compare.  remember this is the MA where the planes will be 20K or lower.....more then likely 15K and lower.

First sortie in the N.  Took off autoclimb....best it could do with 50 fuel and dt was 1.8ftK/min at 180 mph.  Good thing it has wing tanks takes forever to get to 15K.  In D40 at could climb at 75 fuel and DT at rate of 2.2K/min at 180mph.   In N model climbed to 20K and leveled.  Marginal speed difference between D40 and N at that alt.  I realize the higher they go the faster both get but in the DA why bother unless shooting down and tracking Rook Space Shuttles?

N Model........landed two kills both fighters one a SpitV but naturally with BnZ.  Pulling up in the N under 12K and climbing leaves you a sitting duck.  The D40 climbs much faster and with 50 fuel in the D40 I can climb 3K/min.  N can't touch that below 12K.  Again......for MA purposes D models seem superior.  I can extend and maneuver better in the 40.  True....the N model is faster if it comes nose down then climbs....but under 15K it bleeds E faster then the D40 and becomes a nice fat target.

D40 Sortie.  Took off auto climb rate of climb in autoclimb 75 fuel DT 2.2K/min.  during this sortie engaged in a multiplane equal numbers fight.  Largest was a 2 vs 2 with two spitVs against D40 and G10.  Took out a spitV at 8K  went up....rolled over flaps two notches and got another 109G2.  Let flaps retract automatically and built enough E to yoyo a spit from it's low 8 O'Clock.  I couldn't have done that in the N Model at 7K imho because of the Bleed doing same maneuver I did in the D40 and considering alt and performance at that level.

Again...numbers say one thing and actual combat in the MA differ.
At 27K or above the N screams.  Like it a lot.  But for MA purposes and time constraints....climb rate means a lot below 15K.  I have the patience for the D40 to climb.....the N takes longer.  If you're running from a fight I guess the N is what you want.  If you want to stall or turnfight 12K or below it's not.  You actually might get stuck in one sometime in the N model and imho I'll take the D models at that alt.

One thing....if you shoot down a P47N in a D40 I've found it's worth 5.5 perkies. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 11:24:26 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Magoo

• Copper Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2005, 12:44:03 PM »
Here's some anecdotal evidence. The roll rate on the N alone makes a major difference in it's fighting ability (IMHO). The speed helps survivability. If I take the N with 8x 50 cals full load, the roll rate seems better than the D40 with 6x50 cals light load. All these factors contribute to a different "personality" for the N model. I know you fellows are discussing measurables, but that isn't all there is to a good plane.  BTW, 50% gas in the N makes it less manueverable than 50% in a D40 for obvious reasons. just take 25% or burn some off before you do any serious turn fighting.

Just my opinion WideWing but I still prefer the 51B for 1 vs 1 dogfighting (pizz poor hitting power be damned), whereas I prefer the P47N for general MA use - B&Z, snapshots, buff killer, ground support, etc...

Magoo
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 12:52:53 PM by Magoo »
A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2005, 08:18:56 PM »
Originally posted by Hajo
Widewing

Took the N up this morning again.  then took the D40 up to compare.  remember this is the MA where the planes will be 20K or lower.....more then likely 15K and lower.

First sortie in the N.  Took off autoclimb....best it could do with 50 fuel and dt was 1.8ftK/min at 180 mph.  Good thing it has wing tanks takes forever to get to 15K.  In D40 at could climb at 75 fuel and DT at rate of 2.2K/min at 180mph.   In N model climbed to 20K and leveled.  Marginal speed difference between D40 and N at that alt.  I realize the higher they go the faster both get but in the DA why bother unless shooting down and tracking Rook Space Shuttles?

N Model........landed two kills both fighters one a SpitV but naturally with BnZ.  Pulling up in the N under 12K and climbing leaves you a sitting duck.  The D40 climbs much faster and with 50 fuel in the D40 I can climb 3K/min.  N can't touch that below 12K.  Again......for MA purposes D models seem superior.  I can extend and maneuver better in the 40.  True....the N model is faster if it comes nose down then climbs....but under 15K it bleeds E faster then the D40 and becomes a nice fat target.

D40 Sortie.  Took off auto climb rate of climb in autoclimb 75 fuel DT 2.2K/min.  during this sortie engaged in a multiplane equal numbers fight.  Largest was a 2 vs 2 with two spitVs against D40 and G10.  Took out a spitV at 8K  went up....rolled over flaps two notches and got another 109G2.  Let flaps retract automatically and built enough E to yoyo a spit from it's low 8 O'Clock.  I couldn't have done that in the N Model at 7K imho because of the Bleed doing same maneuver I did in the D40 and considering alt and performance at that level.

I can find no evidence that the N bleeds E faster than any other P-47. On the contrary, some simple tests indicate that it bleeds less E for a given maneuver.

Test 1, level 360 degree turn at highest rate beginning at 300 mph TAS. Both aircraft at 25% gas.

At 300 mph, I engaged WEP and rolled into a left bank and turned as hard as possible for a full 360 degrees. Speed measured via E6B at 360 degree mark. Took average of 3 tests.

Speed at end of maneuver-

P-47D-40: 183 mph
P-47N: 187 mph

Level acceleration from 200 mph TAS to 300 mph TAS, using WEP. Altitude: 50 feet.

P47D-40: 44.94 seconds
P-47N: 33.65 seconds

Reference aircraft- Ki-84: 35.96 seconds.

Zoom climb: I stablized both aircraft at 300 mph TAS at 100 feet. I then engaged WEP and pulled them into a vertical climb, making note of the max altitude when speed went to zero. Did 3 tests of each plane.

My results show that there is very little difference, but if any had a minicule edge, it was the P-47N. Yeah, the D-40 wins in steady rate climb, but in a pure vertical zoom there's no real difference. A vertical zoom is a better indicator of combat performance than steady rate climb.

As to speed at 20k, the N has about a 17 mph advantage. Roughly the same as between a 190D-9 and the 190A-5. Likewise on the deck, the N is about 24 mph faster than the D-40.

Now, we all understand that many players prefer the P-47D-11 to the other models, despite having less acceleration and substantially lower steady climb rate. Not to mention horrible outward visibility. They prefer it because they are comfortable in it and have had success. The same can be said for any fighter. If you prefer the D-40, there's no argument to the contrary to be made.

anyway, actual testing shows that the P47N retains E a bit better than the other Jugs, simply because it has so much more power. It offers much faster acceleration, faster roll rate and higher speeds at all altitudes. Where the D-40 beats it is in steady state climb. That's certainly important if you want to have more altitude when arriving at a fight.

This can be largely mitigated by how the P-47N is loaded. With 50% internal gas, it will fly as far as a D-40 with 75%. That's because the N has a 556 gallon internal capacity, while the D-40 can only carry 370 gallons. Indeed, 50% in the N is virtually the same number of gallons as 75% in the D-40 (278). So, careful loading of fuel and ammo can offset much of the difference between the two in terms of steady rate climb.

Ultimately, the choice is that of the user. Whether or not one agrees with the choice or the reasoning, if a pilot is more comfortable in his preferred ride, then he will ultimately have greater success. So, fly what you like and have fun.

Besides, if a lot of people still prefer the other Jugs, we won't have to sweat the N being perked for over-use.  ;)

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2005, 09:41:22 PM »
Widewing:

Exactly  on the perk point (no pun intended)

For some reason to me the D40 just feels right. The N feels a bit sluggish.  Whatever reason I just feel more comfortable in the D40.  Maybe using N more would change my mind.  But in 3 sorties I haven't found a reason yet.  The rate of climb is important to me in the MA altitude range of combat.  Bad enough it climbs slowly, the N is just to sluggish in that regard for my comfort level.

Thanks for doing the tests!  Combat is the final exam though  :)
- The Flying Circus -

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2005, 12:28:49 AM »
ManeTMP is a freak in that thing, getting an A6M to overshoot is a feat ;)

ManeTMP I thank you for the chance to see what that pig can do HUGE sir!!

Most of the fight was on the deck at 130mph or less (when i could look inside the AC) ;)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2005, 03:56:54 PM »
The P-47N is still no match for the P-51D or the La-7.  It might be able to turn, but still, she's a PIG when it comes to acceleration and agility.

No perking the P-47N please.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
P47N Perk Debate
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2005, 05:28:06 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
The P-47N is still no match for the P-51D or the La-7.  It might be able to turn, but still, she's a PIG when it comes to acceleration and agility.

No perking the P-47N please.

Why do I feel you haven't been paying attention?

BETTER acceleration than the P-51D.....

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing