Author Topic: Freaking Cat people,.. pretty messed up.  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Yeager2

• Zinc Member
Freaking Cat people,.. pretty messed up.
« on: July 13, 2005, 02:50:51 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/11/AR2005071101489.html

I once dated a girl who was all into cats ( had about 8 of them..)  

I thought THAT was too freaking much,...  but this is unbelievable,.. pretty screwed up.

:rolleyes:  :eek:

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 03:55:42 AM »
I love cats! I've even touched one of Lazs's cats. :D  

I'm hoping to get a cat or two of my own soon. But here, the Cats' Protection League has rules about who can have a cat. In fact I've already had a telephone questionnaire from them - questions about the type of house where I live, how much traffic is around, whether there are children. If I get a cat from the CPL, it will have been neutered/spayed. Ideally I want a male cat. The next step is a home visit - they come to check to see that I'm a suitable owner. As I've had cats before, there will be no problem.

If getting a cat privately, the steps would be a visit to the vet for checkup, and immunisation against feline enteritis, and for the boosters to be given each year.

That's the responsible way to own a cat, or rather to be owned by a cat, as no-one owns a cat! My ex-wife was a cat expert, and reminded me that my cat was not my cat, but that I was his human!

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 04:09:00 AM »
Beet, you having a laugh?

Sod the CPL.  If they tell ya you can't have one give em a two fingered salute and look in your local press instead.  Or try the local pound.

Sure, ok, the CPL can supply cats / kittens already spayed and innoculated but so what, you can afford a few quid to get your cat spayed.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 04:18:10 AM »
Swoop - yes, I have either option available. The CPL offers cats that have been fostered, and will have had all the usual jabs etc. Getting cats privately is OK too - that's what I did last time, and there were no problems.

The CPL home visit will be nothing more than a formality, designed to avoid situations like the one described by Yeager!

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 04:27:42 AM »
Woof Woof

No Cats in my yard!:lol

storch

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 06:44:49 AM »
they register cats in england??  will they be banned soon?

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 06:47:44 AM »
At first I thought Beet1e was joking.

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 07:17:28 AM »
Speaking of registering pets..  The county I live just passed a law there will be a fee of $500.00 for certain breeds of dogs the city finds aggressive.

I sure don't hope they find my mothers Lab/Pit (Pound Rescused) He's liable to lick you to death... :D

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 07:31:14 AM »
I have a friend that has a nice l`il putty tat.
  A couple of butcher shops saves their meat scraps to enhance his diet.
  He`s a pretty friendly fellow, but sometimes his "purrs" can be a little ground shaking. :)
  He has his own house on a concrete slab with AC and the whole smear.
  He weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 120-130.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 07:57:16 AM »
Have two cats for 8 years now.. left over from when my daughter lived here.   they are pretty much no trouble at all... big tower of dried food the munch at and tower of water they drink..  they are not particularly friendly as beet points out (one did let him pet her)  

If they want attention they will come around otherwise... they keep to themselves..  They bother friends less than friends would even like.

I like their attitude.

lazs

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 08:33:59 AM »
Well like guns...drugs..pets also get abused by stupid people. We always vent our anger at the lawmakers, when we really should be harvesting the stupid to make cat food. They are the ones who gave the lawmakers an idea.

~AoM~

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 09:12:52 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
If they want attention they will come around otherwise... they keep to themselves.. They bother friends less than friends would even like.

I like their attitude.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat. When my friends try to 'pet' them or pick them up, they usually carefully and just fast enuff to let you know they are totally alert.. get the hell outta range. Push the point, you get impaled.

They have little use for us 'bald monkies', operate outside our foodchain and rarely kick in for rent. I often wonder why they let me stay here. Somebody told me that they were once revered as gods.. and they remember it.

"If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

The only guy that ever found a practical use for a cat was Einstein..

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat. -  A. Einstein
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 09:46:02 AM »
sad thing is theres getting to be a lot of stories of people getting busted for having 50 cats+ in houses
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 09:57:02 AM »
For people who love cats but don't have the room to keep 'em, or want to enjoy them at work, there's always this product.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 10:03:51 AM »
I recently got two rescued kittens from an old lady.  They're for my daughters.  Never had cats before.  One, I like. ... she's a hunter, very curious, looks abyssian.  The other one is different,  it meows all the time and constantly trips me up and touches me with his tail all the time, which drives me nuts.

I originally tried to adopt kittens from the Humane Society but they rejected me as an adopter because I answered a questionnaire wrong:

Will your cat be kept indoors?   Yes.
Will your cat be given necessary shots?  Yes.
Will your cat recieve regular vetinary care? Yes.
Will your cat be declawed? Yes.  (WRONG ANSWER)

I thought that was was you did when you get a cat.  They rejected me for that.  I said, "Hey wait a minute, I didn't know it was wrong. Now I know. I won't declaw it.  Let me re-apply. " They refused - "Once you are rejected you cannot re-appy."
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century