Author Topic: Arkansas and evolution :D  (Read 6074 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Arkansas and evolution :D
« on: March 23, 2001, 12:16:00 AM »
Just a <snicker> post. Arkansas officials have recommended bannin evolution from school text books
 http://fyi.cnn.com/2001/fyi/teachers.ednews/03/22/arkansas.evolution.reut/index.html

Some time ago a lead singer of a band answered the question "why does Arkansas not allow evolution to be taught?" with "someone has to flip burgers"  

This is pretty funny. Or sad. But more funny than sad, as the supreme court probably won't let this stand.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"You filthy piece of distended rectum! DIE allierte schweinhund!"

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2001, 12:24:00 AM »
hrrmmm.. slick willy was born in Arkansas was he not?  

I see things like teaching creationism and other bible-only stuff in schools to be laughable. I guess some of those decrepit old farts in the gov. have teamed up with the religious yuppies in an effort to regain the power the church had during the middle ages (where 99% of the population was made up of uneducated morons).

GO USA!  

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
Why not teach children viewpoints from several different religions (taking religion in its literal meaning i.e. 'way of life')?

Surely it would be better to have a population who came to its own conclusions?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Sandman_SBM

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2001, 03:23:00 PM »
That's fine to bring up differing points of view if the class is religion. It's innappropriate in a science class.

The problem, and the courts support this, is that any religious classes will lean heavily towards western christian beliefs. This is unfair to other religions and unconstitutional. Hence... the separation of church and state.

Oh... and we don't have a population that draws it's own conclusions. We have puppets of the main-stream media that simply regurgitate what they see on TV.

------------------
cheers,
sand
screamin blue messiahs
The SBM's are hiring!

[This message has been edited by Sandman_SBM (edited 03-23-2001).]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2001, 05:24:00 PM »
Agreed sandman.

If I were in high school and my science teacher started preaching creationism... well, lets just say i'd lose all respect for that man and for the school itself. School is for learning FACTS, if you want to hear a spiritual approach to what-is you can go to your favourite church.

That teacher that stood up against preaching in school is a REAL teacher. <S> to him! He brings honor to his proffession.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2001, 02:46:00 AM »
Eeek!

I seem to have some likeminded people here!

Aaaah, StSantaism is spreading. Today, my kitchen. Tomorrow, a virtual world.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"You filthy piece of distended rectum! DIE allierte schweinhund!"

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2001, 08:20:00 AM »
Whats the matter??  Different opinions frighten you and your prejudices???

BTW, when you are attending "science" class, ask your "respectable" teacher when it was exactly that the Theory Of Evolution was proven???

I mean, perhaps you are a descendant of a monkey(of course, i can't prove it), but some of us  think we were created in someone else's image.

BTW, rock musicians poking fun at a particular State's intelligence is pretty funny.  Especially since most rocker's haven't the brains God gave a frying pan........

Cabby
Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline takeda

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
heheh cabby it's good to see that rabid ultra opinionated bigots are as dumb as you first thought reading them in other threads. Come on cabby, tell us now how many assault rifles you own or what you think of people coloured differently than your sorry self, you would then prove how evolution has miserably failed, at least in your case.

Mk10 225th

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2001, 09:41:00 AM »
Hey, did anybody hear anything more on that skull they found the other day that is 3.5 million years old, and has a hell of a lot more in common with us today than the oldest they'd found so far, that "Lucy" thing?

It would prove all my theories about space and time travel.

Mk

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2001, 11:26:00 AM »
Takeda:

I'll spell it out for you in BIG letters(the kind you are used to in Elementary School)so you will be able to read it:

Y O U  A R E  A  B I G O T E D  M O R O N.

Oh, and a love muffin to boot.....

Have a Nice Day,
Cabby

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2001, 11:31:00 AM »
Hmmm.. let me think. Humans and chimps share all but 2% of their genetic make-up. WTG DARWIN!!!

Now have some priest try to prove we came out of nothing, or out of water, dust, a meteorite, whatever.

mk10, you have a link to that new skull? Sounds interesting. Lucy was one species of humans that lived in that time period, there might have been others still living.  

Mk10 225th

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2001, 01:50:00 PM »
No, just saw it yesterday channel surfing CNN or MSNBC or something like that.

It was really weird because they said it didn't really have a lot in common with Lucy, more like our skulls are shaped today.

If I find some more on it, I'll post whatever I find.  It really was pretty dang weird though.

Mk

Offline takeda

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2001, 02:58:00 PM »
uh oh cabby, I reread my post and still find it much better, amusing and sarcastically insulting than yours... and this even though when my ancestors were hanging from some african tree, your's were having orgies in Mt Olympus.
Come on, you should do better, this is a flame war, I brought my flametrower, why are you still using that pea shooter?

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
Quote:

"Hmmm.. let me think. Humans and chimps share all but 2% of their genetic make-up. WTG DARWIN!!!"

You offer that as "scientific proof"???  Think again.  On second thought, try thinking at all.......

Quote:

"even though when my ancestors were hanging from some african tree"

Just how recent are these "ancestors" of yours.........

I too, re-read your post.  I rate it a perfect "A+" for smugness, and a dismal "D-" for content or originality....

Cabby
When they named it "Political Science" they weren't kidding........

[This message has been edited by cabby (edited 03-24-2001).]

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2001, 03:55:00 PM »
Science doesn't have all the answers... but that doesn't mean it has no answers at all.

At least it involves some kind of rationale rather than mumbo-jumbo written by people who didn't have a clue why it rains or why the sun is only visible for a part of the day.

War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.