Author Topic: Wake up America  (Read 2114 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Wake up America
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2005, 06:11:17 PM »
Originally posted by Skydancer
We are a nation who invented Democracy!  

errrr ahhhh ummmmm

Never mind I'll let someone else do it. I dont have the heart

Didnt realise AL Gore spent time on the boards:D
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Wake up America
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2005, 06:15:44 PM »
Well Ok the greeks did invent democracy. But we did a  good job of modifying the concept to become parlimentary democracy which incidentaly the Aussies, Canadians, and Indians to name a few also thought might be quite a good idea.

But the slavery thing was started way before us lot had a go and we were the first to end it when voices of protest were raised too!

Of course you can't just blame European nations for slavery. The Africans sold each other into slavery and the Arab world was trading african slaves way before us european latecomers. Mombasa was a slave port not a Kenyan holiday centre!

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Wake up America
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2005, 06:24:08 PM »
Originally posted by Skydancer
Well Ok the greeks did invent democracy. But we did a  good job of modifying the concept to become parlimentary democracy which incidentaly the Aussies, Canadians, and Indians to name a few also thought might be quite a good idea.

But the slavery thing was started way before us lot had a go and we were the first to end it when voices of protest were raised too!

Of course you can't just blame European nations for slavery. The Africans sold each other into slavery and the Arab world was trading african slaves way before us european latecomers. Mombasa was a slave port not a Kenyan holiday centre!

you were the one that brought the issue up.  No one is really debating slavery here.  THe thread title is "wake up america" not "wake up UK" Up until last months bombings I would have thought it was too late for y'all

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
Wake up America
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2005, 06:25:30 PM »
The Roanoke Times reports that officials at Virginia Tech are allowing sexually segregated classes for visiting Saudi students because US officials don’t want to “impress our culture on them.”

The students, some 60 faculty members from King Abdulaziz University, are taking identical development courses at Tech this summer but instead of being integrated they are segregated sexually.

http://www.roanoke.com/printer/prin...spx?arcID=28903

Originally posted by Gunslinger

Only problem Guns is that you left this part out.

"The program is being offered through a contract arrangement between the two schools and not with state money, Hincker said."

Wonder how much VT got for doing it the "Saudi way". They pay, they can have it how they want.

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
Wake up America
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2005, 06:29:34 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2

We have entire states where whites are becoming a minority and english is becomeing a minor language.

There are neighborhoods in the U.S. where you couldn't survive the afternoon because you were white.

lazs

I wish Whites were a minority, perhaps I could have gotten a Student Grant instead of a Student loan. lol:) But seriously I could care less about who is a minority and who is a majority. Intelligence is all that matters.

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
Wake up America
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2005, 06:31:41 PM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
Sorry, didn't see your edit above.  

I'm not saying that the bombings will cause your country to fragment, merely saying that the fact that these are home-grown terrorists implies that everbody isn't on the same page.  That says that there is a significant population in your country which is not well integrated.  These relatively few people who took action did not act in isolation; they've been bred, indoctrinated, or whatever word you want to use, to believe that there's something so wrong in your country that people deserve to die for it.  These kids didn't come to this conclusion on their own -- as our beloved Hillary Clinton (;)) would say, "It takes a village."

So explain to me what Bush means by "We fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here" Doesnt the Britian Bombing prove that statement false?

Anyone else think anyone who has traveled to Pakistan/Afghanistan in the last 6 years ought to be investigated thoroughly???

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Wake up America
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2005, 06:32:33 PM »
Originally posted by Raider179
I wish Whites were a minority, perhaps I could have gotten a Student Grant instead of a Student loan. lol:) But seriously I could care less about who is a minority and who is a majority. Intelligence is all that matters.

but the question at hand is if you didn't have that intellegence would you blame it on lack of cultural sensativity (IE it's all whitey's fault)

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
Wake up America
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2005, 06:41:47 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
but the question at hand is if you didn't have that intellegence would you blame it on lack of cultural sensativity (IE it's all whitey's fault)

Well its a loaded question.  To be honest, I feel its a Yes and No answer. Which I hate giving because it sounds like an easy way out. No, ultimately all people are responsible for their own destiny/fate, whether that includes being a homeless bum, or whether they become CEO's of big companies. Yes, in the fact that there are still racists and they will not hire/promote or give a person of ethnicity the same respect or help that they would another "white" person.

My parents always taught me you have no one to blame but yourself. I agree, but there are always exceptions to the rule, escpecially when dealing with racism. btw I am in favor of racial profiling for terrorists.

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
Wake up America
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2005, 06:55:49 PM »
I'll pass on commenting on the patronising tone ...........

Many of them young and definately our future. I'm a youth worker up here in Birmingham.

You mean the young asian community which when surveyed over 30% thought the UK and US were decadent societies which needed ending ??  the ones from Pakistani families who, totally commited to integrating into European ways ha ha , go back to Pakistan to the Madrasa's to learn Islam ??  That's our future ??

Yes there are problems. Yes "multiculturalism " as some see it does not work. But the reality is the UK population is always changing. New cultures languages etc. It has been right throughout history.

You mean the invasions of other European nations like the French, Scandanavians etc ?? Ones with cultures much like ours ....
The changes in our country have happened gradually over hundreds of years - not in the space of 10 or 20 and by legalised economic invasion.

So its no good burying your head in the sand and wishing it away or trying to turn back the clock. You have to learn to get on with it and them.

Oh I'm not burying my head in the sand, in fact much the opposite. For the past years I have kept quiet for fear of being branded a racist. Now I don't give a damn.  I don't have to learn to get on with it and them as you put it - as far as I'm concerned it's the other way round - it's time they learned to live with me.

Yes Blair is stupid for being Bush's poodle over Iraq,

What in god's name has Iraq got to do with it ???

... we are much stronger than many parts of Europe and I would say carry more influence on the international stage.

Stronger in what ways ?? Our manufacturing base is decimated, we have a social system we can't afford, our education system is one of the worst and standards are falling, our current "prosperity" has been funded by the largest ever consumer debt based on a property bubble, our military is shrinking and under equiped.

And we are never going to be a homogenous nation though I doubt we ever were realy.

A nation that isn't homogenous is not a nation, it's a group of disparate peoples in an economically useful arrangement.

Actualy Sparks I kind of feel a bit sorry for you. The England you want has gone. Face up to the new England and you might find some good stuff about it! Cheer up old chap. Not all Moslems are bombers or invaders, and they do know how to make a good curry!

I'm not looking for your pity Skydancer, actually I pity you. The country you and your ancesters were born in is been taken from you by stealth and you're buying into the myth. The time may come when we will face up to the new England and it may not be in the way people expect.  A good curry is a pretty bad trade for a nations identity.

The new UK and for that matter the new USA post immigration may well be different but I'll be damned if we just have to lay back and accept what the immigrant population demands like cheap potatos.

Multiculturalism is economic migration by the back door - set up your own mini-country in a better environment and turn it into a home from home.  True immigration is about integration.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Wake up America
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2005, 07:33:24 PM »
well said sparks,

many of us in the US feel the same way excepte we are the "silent majority".  When ever somone speaks out against illegal imigration they get labled a racist.  Thus one of many Dick Lamm's points in his speech.  That's pretty much all they have to do to shut down opposing ideas is label them racist.  

In college they call it "creating a hostile learning environment" because of that most professors can't actually teach for fear of offending somone.  Imagine that, the subject might be offfensive so learning takes a back seat to it.  

This all started with political correctness and has spiraled into "diversity" and "multiculturalism" and such.  I have no problem with immigrants, what I don't want is our country changing laws/rules to make them happy.  My kids shouldn't have to learn THEIR language they should learn ours.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Wake up America
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2005, 08:17:59 PM »
Learning any second language isn't a fatal injury - you can survive the experience and maybe even learn a little bit about another culture by having a firsthand conversation.

Like it or not, learning to get along with others of a different race, or language, or nationality, or hair color, or political persuasion can help you appreciate the short and pathetic existence we call life on this planet. You'll learn that there are smart, clever, interesting, talented, ignorant and stupid people everywhere - not necessarily in that order.

At what point do immigrants become part of the status quo? Is it after 1 generation, or 2, or 3? Are those who were smart enough to be born into a middle-class, 1st world, majority race 30 - 50 years ago entitled to look down their noses at those who were not smart enough to be born into the same group?

If the majority of a state is now comprised of group that used to be a minority, does democracy and majority rule go out the window?

If an area was populated by an ethnic group hundreds of years ago before nations and nationalism invented patriotism toward colored ribbons instead of toward a culture, and all the land on Earth was 'claimed' by those with the power and technology to claim it, is it not ironic to see it re-claimed via immigration and migration?

And last, but not least, don't these questions give you a headache and are better left ignored?

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Wake up America
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2005, 10:50:38 PM »
To me America is apple pie, football, mom, and John Wayne. Any color can fit into that. Its the culture that disrupts it. I love it when I see an oriental or indian saying .."Ah geez Beav". It means its working.

~AoM~

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Wake up America
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2005, 11:41:16 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
To me America is apple pie, football, mom, and John Wayne. Any color can fit into that. Its the culture that disrupts it. I love it when I see an oriental or indian saying .."Ah geez Beav". It means its working.

Amen,

There's nothing more American than seeing somone come here with nothing and become something in life.  It's not impossible at all.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
Wake up America
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2005, 01:20:26 AM »
What gets me about America is that it is alright to be a racist as long as you are not White.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
Wake up America
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2005, 03:51:17 AM »
Originally posted by Xargos
What gets me about America is that it is alright to be a racist as long as you are not White.

That's not unique to the US. Do gooder, guilt tripping whites are are some of the biggest supporters of racism. Imo they can do a hell of a lot of harm... cause resentment amongst whites for one thing, which can leed to prejudice where there was none. But the condescending avacados are usually to up themselves to see the damage they do.

Excel