Author Topic: Didn't we learn anything from PizzaCrap  (Read 1706 times)

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
Didn't we learn anything from PizzaCrap
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2005, 07:49:48 PM »
Pizza offered something for everybody.  

There was never a problem finding a big fight.  There are always points of intensity along any front so fighter jocks would be satisfied.

Very wide range of base altitude which provided numerous points of importance.

Excellent environment for bomber pilots whether they were milk running or hitting bases.

The best GV fights you could have.

Plentiful, although confined, CVs.

A very nice variety of bases spaced at normal distance, and then those requiring a longer flight.  Such as the bases on the edges of the map.

The map allowed for smaller squads to take bases.  Granted this was due to the towns being much smaller, but even an AHII Pizza would allow for small squad operations.

I never had a problem with the sand color, but that was a common complaint so maybe that would have to be modified some.  But the desert terrain shouldn't be lost, enough with all these Pacific Northwest maps.

The map certainly survived in stalemate till the weekly reset more than it was reset by players but who cares.  I had the most fun on the map and I am sorry we don't have it today.
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline IownU

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2005, 08:42:04 PM »
i just dont like the map we are on now i love trinity :aok

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2005, 10:07:49 PM »
Lets just put a stop to this nonsense right here, right now!!

I will contact HTC and discuss the possibility of putting me in charge of what maps are played and when.

You will then be able to pick ONE speaker from each country and notify me in writing what you would like to play next.

Depending on my mood and if I've had my coffee already I will take in under advisement and mull it over.
I can then contact HTC advising them on what map would be most enjoyed by me....errr  I mean the community:D

See how easy that was. Now who's with me?

Thanks in advance

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2005, 10:33:15 PM »
I "heard" from someone who was planning on creating a map that HT said he could only have 1 field per sector. If that's true all maps will suck from this point on IMHO.

FesterMA is the best map by far. There is action for everyone and alot of it due to the way the fields are situated.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2005, 11:29:17 PM »
Originally posted by DipStick
I "heard" from someone who was planning on creating a map that HT said he could only have 1 field per sector. If that's true all maps will suck from this point on IMHO.

FesterMA is the best map by far. There is action for everyone and alot of it due to the way the fields are situated.

One field per sector, and not only that, like it is on Frac, a Vbase can apparently be considered a field. So, there can be 2 or 3 sectors between fields. They may as well just remove early war planes from the set, it will take most of them an hour and most of their fuel load to get to the fight, let alone back home if they manage to survive.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2005, 06:55:56 AM »
That is a general guideline DipStick.  Dunt read more into it than that.  All terrains for the MA have a general guideline.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2005, 07:11:41 AM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
All you would need is one to keep even... offer up a free month or so of service for an map that makes rotation.  You increase customer involvement and offload mapmaking work in one swoop.

:aok
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2005, 04:44:54 PM »
That is a general guideline DipStick. Dunt read more into it than that. All terrains for the MA have a general guideline.
Oh thank god skuzzy I was just about to cancel my account, if we were doomed to bases always being a sector or more apart.

I still don't see what was so abusive that you deleted my other posts but it's a dead horse so I'll let it lie.

For those that want me to pony up and build a map, I am sorry I just don't have the time.  But that doesn't stop me from being able to see when there is a problem with the maps we have.

I think as a community we benefit when people speak up about things that are not working.  As I said a few times and still which has not been addressed, is that base spacing should not be a factor that make maps different from other maps.  I could care less about the terrain.  I am addressing spacing.  I don't know why you addressed terrain Skuzzy, but again the terrain is not the issue the base spacing is.  Nor am I saying all the bases have to be laid out like Fester.  Frac would work if they added some more fields and made them less than a sector apart in some areas.

Close bases fosters more combat, better defence and shorter trips back to the fight.

Far bases foster longer flights, less fighting and slower action.  

With that said, I beleive Fester has showed all of us, with both his maps, that a nice balance between close fields and less close fields gives way to alot of action and the majority of the players are able to find something they like.

When the fields are a sector or more apart it takes too long to get back to the action which stifels the large heated battles.  Also when the MA population is low the fights are few and far between.

AS for Pizza, furballs were almost non existant.  The only large fights were big hordes going after undefended bases.  I dred the day that map ever makes it back in the rotation.

Also Skuzzy, how many of your complaints about FersterMA have to do with field spacing and lack of playablity for people?  I know there are a lot that deal with lag and that is a side affect of closer fields but a different problem.

BTW Skuzzy, I am not trying to be a jerk to you and I appreciate the time and answers you give to us as a community.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 04:51:06 PM by mars01 »

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2005, 05:24:44 PM »
Yeah the problem has nothing to do with the look of the map.  The biggest problem is the spacing of the bases.
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2005, 05:36:34 PM »
This is going on a tangeant, but what was the map we had in AH1.99betawhatever, fairly early on with rolling hills and valleys? It was mostly green, and totally unlike any of the terrains we have now. I believe I'd heard it was a beta only map, and too small for the numbers in the MA you were hoping for. The only other details I can recall are that it was up for some sort of testing, and had Airshow Smoke enabled, and free 262s.

Anyhow, I loved that map. It was beautiful, atypical terrain, and I tend to think a larger modified version would be a great addition, and presumably would have a great deal of the work already begun.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline used2bz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2005, 10:29:25 PM »
Pizza! yummm!  Always found a good time no matter what I felt like doing