Author Topic: Why is it that bombers ARE SO EASY to get shot down?  (Read 1860 times)

Offline fastfed

• Zinc Member
Why is it that bombers ARE SO EASY to get shot down?
« on: August 20, 2005, 11:04:36 PM »
I understand allot of you 109 pilots are good with your monster cannons and all :)
But seriously, it seems just a couple hits to the wings and they rip in half.. Is it just so easy to hit the planes, or is the bombers ( Mostly 17's that I fly ) really weak in this game??

I play the game mainly for them.. I am a huge b17 2 fan and know it was a little or I should say ALLOT harder to shoot these guys down...

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 11:22:25 PM »
It's the 30 mils
 They like to eat big bites

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Re: Why is it that bombers ARE SO EASY to get shot down?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 11:39:48 PM »
Originally posted by fastfed
I understand allot of you 109 pilots are good with your monster cannons and all :)
But seriously, it seems just a couple hits to the wings and they rip in half.. Is it just so easy to hit the planes, or is the bombers ( Mostly 17's that I fly ) really weak in this game??
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, imop the bombers are too strong, in game
 See the picture , on the right, 1 (only1)   x 30mm MK108 shell  damage in bomber fuselage, was tested on the ground without dinamic forces like in flight

« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 11:50:56 PM by ghi »

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 12:18:21 AM »
Talk to 999000, he's a pretty good buff pilot.
Shoots down lots of fighters. Prolly have lots of helpfull info.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Why is it that bombers ARE SO EASY to get shot down?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 01:38:53 AM »
Originally posted by ghi

See the picture , on the right, 1 (only1)   x 30mm MK108 shell  damage in bomber fuselage, was tested on the ground without dinamic forces like in flight

[/B]

That shot of the fuselage may be only one mk108, but I guarantee there was more then just that rounds HE explosion.  More than likely, it hit an O2 bottle, or a source for a secondary explosion.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Why is it that bombers ARE SO EASY to get shot down?
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 04:23:53 AM »
Originally posted by ghi

Blen is slightly smaller than B17, yeah? Even Mosquito was able to rtb after two 30mm hits.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 04:24:22 AM »
So bodhi you think they left O2 bottles and fuel inside the fuselage when they did the experiments?

The Blenheim and probably spit were shot on a test range.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Why is it that bombers ARE SO EASY to get shot down?
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 04:38:29 AM »
Originally posted by Oleg
Blen is slightly smaller than B17, yeah? Even Mosquito was able to rtb after two 30mm hits.

Wood worked well to dissipate the force of the 30mm.  IIRC it is metal fuselage and wings where the 30mm has its strongest effect.

It was most powerful when it exploded inside the small sections within the wing/fuselage structure, expanding that area and causing critical damage.  Because wood was all one solid structure it had nowhere to expand to and damage was less.

That is why in the pictures above it had such a dramatic effect on the Blenheim and Spitfire rear fuselage - as they are both relatively narrow, it would likely have the same effect on the wings/tail of a B-17/24/Lanc but would not have such an effect if it hit in the fuselage as the volume would dissipate the effect to a certain extent.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Clip121

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 06:05:55 AM »

I play the game mainly for them.. I am a huge b17 2 fan and know it was a little or I should say ALLOT harder to shoot these guys down...

Heck I think bombers are too strong!!!  Most of the time when I see buffs coming I just ignore....  Seems I always got killed more than I killed em.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 06:14:24 AM »
Weirdly enough so do I - but when I look at the stats its like 24 vs 2. Still every time it happens I swear 'never again.'

Untill the next time.

Possibly has to do also with the fact that most often I manage to kill 1 buff before he gets my oil or pilot and force me to rtb. Hence high k/d ratio even though I got 'shot down' on every attempt.

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 06:38:10 AM »
It would be easier for the 109s because they have a 30mm cannon.  When I go up against buffs with my 38 its much harder and takes a lot more rounds to knock down a 17.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline fastfed

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 10:15:16 AM »
Well then I am going up against serious pro's..

I shoot em down plenty, don't get me wrong.. But it seems almost everyone with a couple rounds can easily take off my wings..

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 11:15:22 AM »
------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think the size doesn't matter?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 12:40:53 PM »
That shot of the fuselage may be only one mk108, but I guarantee there was more then just that rounds HE explosion. More than likely, it hit an O2 bottle, or a source for a secondary explosion.

You would be wrong. Those test were done by the RAF on static aircraft on the ground. The 3cm was suspend centered in of the fuselage and then detonated electrically. The 3cms being recovered from downed German aircraft.

It wasn't a 'shot', nor was there a collatoral explosion.

The Mossie did recieve hits, but the Mossie is made of wood. The German mine rounds were designed to blow out stressed skin, they aren't as destructive against wood or cloth...

So much for your guarrantee...

Originally posted by ghi:

Do you think the size doesn't matter?

Size doesn't matter, its the amount PETN that matters in regards to the above tests.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 12:43:13 PM by Wotan »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Re: Why is it that bombers ARE SO EASY to get shot down?
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 12:54:33 PM »
Originally posted by Oleg

The Mosquito was, contrary to it's performance in AH, one of the more capable aircraft when it came to absorbing punishment.

And as can be seen, the Mossie's damage was severe despite the relative resiliance of it's wooden structure.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 12:59:09 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-