Author Topic: Hanoi Jane  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2000, 02:08:00 PM »
Guys, Blur appears to me to be one of that all-knowing group that are far above the mundane affairs of the real world.

Like most of these guys, he doesn't directly answer a question; he misdirects you to another subject.

You didn't answer that previous question: Why haven't we seen a society such as the one you propose in the entire history of the human race? Come on now, enlighten us.

This is pure conjecture mind you, but a more enlightened society probably wouldn't feel a need to record a history and then constantly live in the past as we do. It's kind of dysfunctional I suppose.

Ther real answer is that his utopian society will never exist in this, the real world. He won't admit that, however. Lacking the "perfect world" his ideas and ideals are ludicrous; however, that won't prevent the morally superior quips.

Here's one back:  

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell

Basically, he's free to engage in his wishful thinking, dreaming and haughty condescension for one reason and one reason alone:

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stuart Mill

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 12-19-2000).]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2000, 02:33:00 PM »
Excellent post Toad.  Especially the last paragraph.

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2000, 03:24:00 PM »

Guys, Blur appears to me to be one of that all-knowing group that are far above the mundane affairs of the real world.

On the contrary sir, I'm up to my bellybutton in the affairs of the world and I've learned to see it directly without filtering it through layers of patriotic and cultural roadkill.

You want to know what I see? Our only problem is fear. It's that simple.

Basically all I've been saying is that our reality, our moment-to-moment personal experience, is based on our beliefs.  Concentrate on war and you'll have it. Focus on fulfillment and prosperity and you'll have that too.  I've chosen the latter and I have a happy life with no ill will towards any living creature. So you see I do practice what I preach.

Your quotes sound very high and mighty but to me they're just a justification for violence. If you choose to believe in them that's fine,

It's your choice.

TheWobble

Hanoi Jane
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2000, 04:05:00 PM »
Well im tired of this thread, too much total gook and Jane fonga defence.
Jane Fonda can kiss my ass, then she when she dies (not from my ass) she should be buried in a Gook style mass grave and coverd with lye and pissed on. thats all i have to say.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2000, 09:06:00 PM »
Since the time of the cave dwellers some have chosen to stand between danger and the weaker members of the tribe.

One can say the dangers exist only in the mind but that is simply a fantasy and everyone knows it, even those that give voice to such nonsense.

Generally, those that defend ask no thanks; they simply see it as their duty, a job that needs doing for the benefit of all. Bless 'em.

I guess it's asking to much of some of those that hide far behind the shields to refrain from denigrating those that provide the safety for all.

Like quotes? Here's an entire piece from Kipling that pretty much sums up how I feel about your attitude, Blur. Peace? Yes, you have it... because other men provide it for you.

Stay safe behind the shields of better men, bro!

Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

..........O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
..........But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play -
..........The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
..........O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

..........For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
..........But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide -
..........The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
..........O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

..........Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
..........But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll -
..........The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
..........O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

..........While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind,"
..........But it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind -
..........There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
..........O it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

..........For it's Tommy this an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
..........But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
..........An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
..........An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!